Author Topic: Sno Seal - horrifying discovery  (Read 892 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Sno Seal - horrifying discovery
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
I was treating my workboots yesterday with the best leather product ever developed IMO, my beloved sno seal. Getting near the bottom of my last vintage metal can and I noticed my new plastic jar of sno seal is different. Aagghh!
How dare they!
Original metal can is from the Cadilac shoe company Birmingham MI (with silikones added- yes that’s how they spell it on the can)
New one is Atsko inc orangeburg SC. No idea if it is the same formulation but somehow I doubt it even though the label does include mention of beeswax. Life will never be the same. I use my Milwaukee heat gun on low to butter it in. The metal can is far superior because I can heat the can to soften the sno seal before applying it to the leather.
I feel like crying.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Sno Seal - horrifying discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
scoop it out of the plastic can and put it into the metal one?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
There, there. Would you like a hot beverage?

Can you µwave the plastic container without ill effects?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
scoop it out of the plastic can and put it into the metal one?
Already my plan.
My big concern is that its probably not the same as the most excellent 1933 formula.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
You could still heat it in the plastic with a hot water bath.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
Maybe they also reformulated it to be more "green" and based the new stuff on tofu, seaweed, and recycled street sweepings from Los Angeles . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
Maybe they also reformulated it to be more "green" and based the new stuff on tofu, seaweed, and recycled street sweepings from Los Angeles . . .

Oh, yummy.   (A bit of "fake" news that pooped up (sic) on my BookFace tells me LA is ripe for bubonic plague.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
What timing.  Just this morning I was rooting around for my sno seal - I cleaned the dirt off my redwings, figured I'd reaseal them.

Mine is probably the new formula.  It works very well, but I don't have any of the old stuff to compare with.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »
I've been using it since the late 1980s, always been a plastic container as long as I remember. First container may have been glass, but I can't recall any metal tins.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »
I've been using it since the late 1980s, always been a plastic container as long as I remember. First container may have been glass, but I can't recall any metal tins.

Same here. Always plastic since I started using it in the 80’s.

That said, it isn’t that great compared to some newer stuff anymore and the way they make newer boots. If your boots have goretex or similar sno seal can stop the breathability from functioning correctly. Also it has been known to break down the glue they use these days for the soles. I mostly use Nikwax these days. Only sno seal on non goretex which I rarely buy anymore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
I still have my original can that I bought in the 70's at the REI on 11th Avenue in Seattle, back when that was the only REI store.  As noted above, my current boots are not really amenable to SnoSeal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
My old can is light green with white snow crystals on it. Don’t know how old it is. Everything else is blue and white. Maybe the formula is unchanged. I can hope...
My workboots aren’t goretex. I use it on my pull ons and my lace ups. Also on the leather uppers of my LL Bean Maine hunting boots.
I think the only goretex boots I have are my Danner hunting boots and a pair of Keen hikers. My kangaroo hide upland boots might be also but I haven’t worn them in years.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
Oh, yummy.   (A bit of "fake" news that pooped up (sic) on my BookFace tells me LA is ripe for bubonic plague.)

I've got my fingers crossed.
 >:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
I've been using Sno-Seal since at least the mid '80s don't remember any metal tins.
I've also "reformulated" some myself by melting it all down and adding more beeswax.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
He said his metal tin was "vintage," and I got the impression it was (from?) 1933.

Did I read that wrong?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.