Author Topic: Reverse Osmosis system recommendation  (Read 463 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Reverse Osmosis system recommendation
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
For anyone looking at RO systems, I recommend the APEC brand. Their hook is "assembled in USA" (meh, import parts) but I'm more impressed with the build quality. Three BIG pre-filters (one sediment, two charcoal), a substantial RO membrane, and a carbon post-filter. Materials are heavy and of good quality. It also has a full-sized holding tank rather than the chintzy 1.5 gallon unit I see on most Big Box store offerings (I can fill two gallon jugs and still have enough to make a pot of coffee).

I've had one at my place for a year. Zero problems. Installed the same unit for SWMBO a few months back. No problems there, either. Both installs are under-sink. The only caution I can give is that the unit is larger than what you can get from Big Box, both in filter assembly and tank. Plan space needs accordingly. Also, familiarize yourself with push-type fittings. It's easy to not get the tubing seated properly in the fitting. That's bad.

I got mine from Amazon. Price isn't much more than Big Box stuff and the quality is far superior.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pre-filter replacement cartridges run $30 a set.
https://www.amazon.com/APEC-Water-Systems-FILTER-SET-ES-Filter-Set-Es/dp/B00I11HUGW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Filter-set-es&qid=1563810645&s=hi&sr=1-3

Full replacement filter/membrane set is $75.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5WSO8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The filter assembly comes pre-plumbed. All you have to do is hook up the water supply, set up the tank, and plumb in the drain. Everything is included, though I replaced the cheapy needle valves with quarter-turn units set up for push fittings. I also added discrete shutoffs for the ice maker and RO spigot. On mine, it also gave me the opportunity to toss the old PITA hard lines and put in hoses. I used a brass tee on the main valve so I have discrete, separately-valved supply lines for the faucet and RO system. 

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Reverse Osmosis system recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
I've been using the APEC countertop RO system for years. A bit of a hassle for some, since you're "hand filling" as it were, water containers vs having the holding tank, but where I have lived before, I just didn't have the room for a standard RO system. I just got a few 3 gallon jugs to fill up and have a two gallon dispenser that stays filled.

Regardless though, APEC has been a solid brand for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Reverse Osmosis system recommendation
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
If you ever want to geek out on RO units and set ups, googlefu it and look at the dudes doing salt reef aquariums. Those dudes get serious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.