Author Topic: Invasion of the Fur Children  (Read 2663 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Invasion of the Fur Children
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
I see a lot of this.  It is not confined to the boomers, sad to say.

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2007/02/invasion-of-fur-children.html
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Invasion of the Fur Children
Do you ever read news stories about the Baby Boomers that make you wonder if they have lost their minds, or maybe just their common sense? Many of the tales about the Boomers are just a marketing ploy, of course, as the cohort spans almost 20 years and seems to include just about everyone, even those of us born in the 1960's who really have little in common with those born just after the war. Anyway, I caught this story on MSN about how the Boomers are now spending more on their snooty dogs than they are on children:

Who's your baby? If she's got a wet nose, nasty breath and canines that make confetti of your new pair of Manolo Blahniks, you're in excellent company: Spending on children is plummeting in the U.S. as we lavish ever-larger amounts on the other little beasts at home.

Take Pepper, a 5-year-old wire-haired dachsund who "fell into a tub of butter" when owners Maurice and Valerie Teich brought him home. Maurice buys and sells steel internationally; Valerie is a banker. Pepper leads a good life on Manhattan's Park Avenue and vacations in the fashionable Hamptons. He joins the Teichs each morning at the breakfast table for oranges, yogurt and toast before donning his leash and jacket. (Should he wear the shearling? The red Burberry with brass buttons? The Ralph Lauren?)

The other day, I was at a local public relations meeting and one of the women there told me she worked for the DIY network; we laughed about a show they have on called Barkitechture where owners learn to build doghouses for their pets; there is even a book out entitled, Doggie Homes (DIY): Barkitecture for Your Best Friend. The PR person told me that the one predictor of who watches the show is if the person has a yearly birthday party for their dog. When I howled at that, she sheepishly admitted that she hosted a dog B-day every year, "Look, I don't have any kids, my dogs are my kids," she explained.

"Uhh, they are? Really, dogs are kids?" I thought -- but no, I was not rude enough to say this out loud. Apparently, many Americans feel this way, referring to their animals as their "Fur children."

So maybe one can let the Baby Boomers off the hook if they have already had children and now because of an empty nest are looking to their fur children to lavish their attention on, although I have to ask, what happened to spending time with the real, live human grandkids? And if people are having fur children instead of real children, what will happen to the human race? And what about retirement, long after your fur children are dead, will you end up in the doghouse because you blew a wad of cash on a dog instead of planning for retirement etc. Just a few questions for those who can't tell the difference between an animal and a human being.

posted by Helen at 12:30 PM
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Invasion of the Fur Children
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »
And if people are having fur children instead of real children, what will happen to the human race?

Well, last time I looked our species is in no danger of dying out to do lack of viable reproductive activity.
And what about retirement, long after your fur children are dead, will you end up in the doghouse because you blew a wad of cash on a dog instead of planning for retirement etc.

What about those who blew a wad of cash on a new car for their kids?  Or those who blew a wad of cash on a new boat for themselves?

Say what you will about those who spend their affections and finances on their animals rather than kids.  None of my cats will:

- steal my car in the middle of the night.
- wreak said car in a highspeed pursuit with the cops
- look me in the eye after being bailed out of jail and scream

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE!!  I HATE YOU AND WISH YOU WERE DEAD!"
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
jfru, that's not nice.  You hit Sindy's ouchy spot.   sad

It really doesn't matter if you don't have kids these days.  After all, old folks are supposed to be "independent," don't you know?  You don't need kids to help you out in old age, that's what we have govt. for.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
And if people are having fur children instead of real children, what will happen to the human race?

Well, last time I looked our species is in no danger of dying out to do lack of viable reproductive activity.
Wesern Civ is not looking so hot, birthrate-wise.  The trends indicate an Earth-wide version of Idiocracy.

And what about retirement, long after your fur children are dead, will you end up in the doghouse because you blew a wad of cash on a dog instead of planning for retirement etc.

What about those who blew a wad of cash on a new car for their kids?  Or those who blew a wad of cash on a new boat for themselves?
Hopefully, the kids will reciprocate when we're in our twilight years.

Say what you will about those who spend their affections and finances on their animals rather than kids.  None of my cats will:

- steal my car in the middle of the night.
- wreak said car in a highspeed pursuit with the cops
- look me in the eye after being bailed out of jail and scream

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE!!  I HATE YOU AND WISH YOU WERE DEAD!"
...then again, maybe not.  grin
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
Best example of this I heard was from a pet company here that sold a special brand of pet food.  Some lady ordered some and expected it to come a certain time.  Because of some shipping snafu it didnt come on that day.  She was apoplectic because it was her cat's birthday, and that was his favorite food!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
I'd rather spend money on a hund than on some psychologist. 

Unlike children, dogs won't betray you.  And when you get tired of them, you can sell them off. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »
Well, my surviving children are off on their own.  No grandkids yet - that is up to them.

So yeah, we have a number of 4-legged kids hanging around the house and the corral. rolleyes

I think the cats have the best deal, though  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:04:03 AM »
I dunno...I love my critters and have had people tell me that I treat my animals better than some folks treat their own kids, but I have to say I love them for what they are. I've never had the desire to dress them up, get them pedicures or designer doo-dads. I don't think of them as imitation people. But that's just me. To each his/her own. Their "fur-babies," their money, whatever.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).