Author Topic: Rogue waves at the beach  (Read 886 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Rogue waves at the beach
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
https://www.wyff4.com/article/man-76-swimming-at-ocean-city-hit-by-large-wave-drowns-beach-death/28827684

I've never heard of someone being killed by a wave impact at the beach before, but it's good to know about these things I guess. I don't remember ever getting clobbered by waves when I was a kid, but this year at Edisto Beach both my dad and I got hit by fast, large waves in relatively shallow water. Dad got hit hard enough that he called it a day. I can see this happening if you get caught unawares or just at a bad angle.

This summer in North Carolina a rogue wave was also responsible for a beach death . A father was killed while swimming off the coast when a wave crashed into him, slamming his head into the sand and breaking his neck.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Rogue waves at the beach
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
https://www.wyff4.com/article/man-76-swimming-at-ocean-city-hit-by-large-wave-drowns-beach-death/28827684

I've never heard of someone being killed by a wave impact at the beach before, but it's good to know about these things I guess. I don't remember ever getting clobbered by waves when I was a kid, but this year at Edisto Beach both my dad and I got hit by fast, large waves in relatively shallow water. Dad got hit hard enough that he called it a day. I can see this happening if you get caught unawares or just at a bad angle.

I've heard of several such incidents. I've been taken unawares by waves, smacked to the bottom, and held under longer than I liked a few times over my life.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
I've heard of several such incidents. I've been taken unawares by waves, smacked to the bottom, and held under longer than I liked a few times over my life.

I've had only a couple of those types of experiences (I've undoubtedly spent less time at the beach than you), but every time it's been a reminder of just how powerful (and dangerous) the ocean can be.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »
It will never happen to me.  I do not swim in water that contains creatures that will eat me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »
It will never happen to me.  I do not swim in water that contains creatures that will eat me.

As I am fond of saying:

When you get in the Big Water, you are no longer top of the food chain!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »

Same here.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
Not quite the same, but similar- I remember several incidents over the years on the western shore of Lake Michigan where people were swept off jettys/breakwaters by a big wave and drowned or crushed on the rocks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:28 PM »
One snuck up behind a buddy of mine in Hawaii, bent him backwards, he spent about a week in the hospital.

I remember as a kid getting submerged and tumbled around by a couple of large-ish waves at Rockaway Beach --by no means rogue waves as described here, but big enough to make this little kid feel.... ummm.... vulnerable to nature.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:47:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.