Author Topic: Dayton Ohio now  (Read 8789 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dayton Ohio now
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
The Wall Street Journal reports on the firearm used - apparently an SBR with brace. They were unclear on if it was home built or not. Considering the guy was apparently very anti-gun, I find the firearm used interesting. How many anti-gunners would build a gun? Or would buy a rather expensive gun from Anderson (prices on their website seem to hover close to $1000) versus one of the more well-known manufacturers?

It was also interesting the way the WSJ talked about the brace. It was almost a bump stock like commentary, as if the brace would be of more benefit than a standard stock.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dayton-shooter-used-ar-15-pistol-smaller-version-of-popular-rifle-11565045046

Edit: Shoot. Apologies. Weirdly, I can read the whole WSJ article on my phone, but on my desktop, WSJ wants me to pay.

Edit again: I found an NBC story written in a similar vein:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dayton-shooter-s-gun-called-orchestra-metal-hellfire-n1039476
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:47:59 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Yes, he has.  I saw a piece on that a few months ago.  The TAPS act is garbage and should be thrown away along with the PATRIOT act.

What is  "The TAPS Act??" ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
What is  "The TAPS Act??" ???

The thought police..... and you thought that was fiction didn't you?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/838/text

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
What I heard about it was more hearsay than anything.  It sounded like it would let them create and maintain essentially a psyche profile on everyone in the US.  How they would use it I do not know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2019, 07:39:00 AM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Booker: I Don’t Welcome Trump’s Statement on Condemning Bigotry – Healing Starts With Saying ‘I’ve Made Mistakes’
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/08/05/booker-i-dont-welcome-trumps-statement-on-condemning-bigotry-healing-starts-with-saying-ive-made-mistakes/

And this one
If he doesn't go to El Paso the Dems will then say he doesn't care

Beto O’Rourke Tells Trump: Stay out of El Paso
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/08/05/beto-orourke-calls-on-trump-not-to-visit-el-paso-he-has-no-place-here/

Meh. Robert is no longer the representative for El Paso.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »
Meh. Robert is no longer the representative for El Paso.

Got to love Trump's response

Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O’Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement - & be quiet!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 7, 2019

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
So, is Warren to blame now?

In less than 24 hours, we had two brutal mass shootings. In all, 31 people have been killed and scores more injured. In El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, two armed nutjobs executed senseless acts of carnage. The political games began almost immediately. El Paso was committed by a white supremacist, whose anti-immigrant views were just as explicit as his apparent adherence to eco-terrorism. In Dayton, the shooter, Connor Betts, a disturbed individual who had kill and rape lists of his classmates, was an avowed leftist, who backed Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), gun control, and supported the left-wing extremist group Antifa. These aren’t necessarily clear-cut cases of white supremacist violence, which the media has tried to force-feed down our throats. There’s loads of nuance.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/08/06/the-liberal-media-attempts-to-ignore-dayton-shooters-left-wing-leanings-n2551258
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
No. The shooter didn't self-identify as Native American, so Ms. Warren is off the hook.

And off the reservation.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
"Background checks like we've never had before". That doesn't sound like making America great again.

“And I think we can bring up background checks like we've never had before. I think both Republican and Democrat are getting close to a bill on -- they're doing something on background checks.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/gun-stocks-drop-trump-congress-background-checks

Hopefully that's just platitudes to the masses, but time will tell. I'm just hoping it doesn't screw me up right after I moved to America. In Idaho, if you have a carry permit, you can skip the background check on purchases. With my luck, an "improved" background check will outlaw that. Though I assume individual states may still have some rights/workarounds regarding any new background check rules.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
And off the reservation.

She was never on it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-the-michael-berry-show-27764850/

I heard an interview with Dan Crenshaw yesterday.  It was the PM show on 8/6 at the link (2nd hour).  He didn't stay on long.  He was asked about his support for red flag laws and the TAPS act.  I wasn't really satisfied with his answers.  I don't know if he just didn't want to get into the details or if he didn't have time.  All he really said about the TAPS act was it was just federal grants and none of things you have heard about it are true.  He did not talk about what the grants are for.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
Dayton shooter was armed counter-protester at Ku Klux Klan rally

And... this page has already been taken down.  Didn't support the narrative, I guess.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
And... this page has already been taken down.  Didn't support the narrative, I guess.

My bad..try it again.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
So it was you who wasn't supporting the narrative.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
No *expletive deleted*s given about the narrative.  President is now ready to sell out our rights too.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Talking about his gun of choice.  The drum mag was already illegal in Ohio.  Mags capable of holding more than 30 rounds become a "destructive device" under Ohio law when fully loaded, and are a felony to possess.  Yeah, I know.  Dumb law.  But it's why I only load 30 rounds in my Glock 9mm extended play mags.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
Talking about his gun of choice.  The drum mag was already illegal in Ohio.  Mags capable of holding more than 30 rounds become a "destructive device" under Ohio law when fully loaded, and are a felony to possess.  Yeah, I know.  Dumb law.  But it's why I only load 30 rounds in my Glock 9mm extended play mags.  ;)

Didn't that get revised in 2015?  I don't have a link,  but IIRC it got fixed when they updated all the CCW stuff.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »
Didn't that get revised in 2015?  I don't have a link,  but IIRC it got fixed when they updated all the CCW stuff.

You are correct HB234, in 2015, corrected that stupid law.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-iii-31-round-magazines-non-contiguous-transfers

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
You are correct HB234, in 2015, corrected that stupid law.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-iii-31-round-magazines-non-contiguous-transfers

Oops.  Mea culpa. Glad to know my extended Glock mags are legal, at least for now.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »
No *expletive deleted*s given about the narrative.  President is now ready to sell out our rights too.  

You must be new around here. This is Trump. We'll know what he does when he does it, and not before.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
You must be new around here. This is Trump. We'll know what he does when he does it, and not before.

That applies to Trump himself, as well.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
I don't know if any of you are in Kentucky and can vote for this guy.
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1159251658230128640?s=09
Thomas Massie

Verified account

@RepThomasMassie
Follow Follow @RepThomasMassie
More
Some have asked, “who needs 100 rounds?”

If 6 brave, trained, and alert police officers with professionally maintained weapons fired 58 rounds to subdue the Dayton shooter,

I’d say my wife deserves at least that many chances to protect herself and my kids when I’m not home.