Author Topic: Calligraphy  (Read 1210 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Calligraphy
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
Does anyone here have an interest in or do calligraphy? What's it like? What are your experiences? Any good resources on the Internet you know about and could share?
Andy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Calligraphy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
Calligraphy?  Got a girl you're trying to impress?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »

No, but it might be a good idea for when I do. cool

As for the purpose of this thread, I'm just wondering out loud.

Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:40:26 PM »

It actually works. If you print a note on parchment paper using script fonts, put it in an envelope and seal it with an actual wax seal, MAJOR romance points +1000. Wink

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
i have done some and seen some get contracted from a master like Julian Waters:
http://www.waterslettering.com/

Ink and steel nibs are much less forgiving than ye olde undo command

its a smaller field now that snell roundhand is in postscript
http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/detail.htm?pid=201891

I really like the effects you can do in illustrator with a font like Poetica
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/mondosearchresults.htm?st=12&kid=poetica

There are even softwares that will toss in variable letterforming
so each version of the same word looks a bit different.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
Geez, like so many other things computers are right in the middle of it, it seems.

I was thinking of the old hand printed manner of calligraphy. But, I suppose we can also keep talking about the use of computers and calligraphic fonts. Probably is interesting too.
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »
Hey, I don't mind the computers! I've thought of just how much work laying out a document must have been even twenty years ago, with the work needed with pasteups and stuff!

And long, long ago, a "font crash" meant you dropped a box and spilled the little lead type blocks all over the place.  grin

As for calligraphy, well, I imagine its origins lie with the original large-volume photocopiers...monks. Wink

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »
As for calligraphy, well, I imagine its origins lie with the original large-volume photocopiers...monks. Wink

I've heard that they did like to ornament their copying with fancy lettering, making it both a work of art and a means of spreading the written word. 
Andy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Does anyone here have an interest in or do calligraphy? What's it like? What are your experiences? Any good resources on the Internet you know about and could share?

Back when I was a bit more into bushido, I practiced some calligraphy.  Part of being well-rounded and all.  The biggest thing is practice.  To each their own, but I'd grab a couple books on the subject and run through the exercises.  Tracing is a good way to learn style, but not technique.

I learned from books, and getting smacked on the skull with a ruler.  I'm told my poetry is good, but my calligraphy leaves much to be desired. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »
I've done it in the past.  I still have a pen or two around here somewhere.  Parker used to make a decent little set that was great for getting started.  If you have a fountain pen handy, write with it.  Once you learn how to control the nib comfortably with a regular fountain pen, calligraphy is not so challenging.
For entertainment purposes only.

Baba Louie

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 08:43:42 AM »
Had an architecture professor back in college who was a master calligrapher and took two of his classes back in '74. A useful art form, I still practice it today, every now and then. I've got all sorts of steel nibs and holders, different inks, papers, reference books, you name it. Even made some money practicing it, but at a nickel a word it ain't much.

It seems to fascinate some people tho'. And yes, some females appreciate it. I only took those classes as art electives and because back in the day (pre AutoCad) of hand drafting, we hand lettered most of the design and working drawings we prepared and thought it would help (remember rub-on letters and Kroy machines?). It did.

Origins? It's just writing, so it really began with a stylus making marks on clay tablets, but it did evolve into an art form controlled by the church and a few learned people during the darker middle ages (post Roman, pre-Renaissance).

I practice Chauncery Cursive and the Uncial styles mostly. Never got into the whole Gothic look. It's all about the angle of the nib, letter height/nib width ratios, incline angle of letters, repetition.

Always good to listen to some of that olde tyme Gregorian Chant music while inking away. Those monks could rock in harmony I tell ya... even tho' my Latin is lacking. Played with some Kanji and Arabic calligraphy just for the sake of design mimicry... wish I could read it, but too lazy to take the time.

http://www.cbbag.ca/links.html#callig

Scroll down to find calligraphy links, inks and even paper-making

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
A lot of useful links at that link. Thanks, Baba Louie.
Andy