Author Topic: Florida Man Has Firearms Rights Taken Away Over Mistaken Identity  (Read 1731 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/florida-man-has-firearms-rights-taken-away-over-mistaken-identity/#axzz5x9Y1AkIk

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/08/19/red-flag-law-failure-guy-is-stripped-of-his-gunsbecause-of-another-mans-criminal-activity-n2551921

I can't think of a way to summarize this quickly.  A man in Florida get a restraining order against him.  I am not sure if it is a red flag law style restraining order or not.  The restraining order wasn't against him, but against someone with the same name and a different physical description.  Apparently, the cops he talked to know he isn't the person the order is referring to, but they are applying it to him anyway.  His concealed carry license was revoked.
A comment I heard last night mentioned that the police who took the complaint from the lady could have looked up everyone with that name in their records and had her identify the person based on driver's license photos or mug shots.

This is an example of the bureaucratic oppression that will come from Red Flag laws. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
Re: Florida Man Has Firearms Rights Taken Away Over Mistaken Identity
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/florida-man-has-firearms-rights-taken-away-over-mistaken-identity/#ixzz5xC1NMeN9
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

"When I pressed the officer of the likelihood of a drug dealer obeying Florida gun laws and getting a concealed handgun permit, he agreed that it probably isn't likely. He then stated that police and courts do make mistakes all the time, but he insisted that it is better to make mistakes than not do anything. Many disagree with that point."

Gotta wonder about the old adage that it was better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man be jailed.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »

Gotta wonder about the old adage that it was better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man be jailed.
Yep.  Red Flag laws are the exact opposite of that.  They would rather punish 10 innocent people to show they are "doing something" about one guilty person.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 12:44:13 AM »
The important thing is they took someone's guns away.  With a sufficiently vague order they could do that to 20 or 30 people from just one Red Flag.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »
Just breaking eggs to make the omelette

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »
The important thing is they took someone's guns away.  With a sufficiently vague order they could do that to 20 or 30 people from just one Red Flag.
Any most everyone along the chain of enforcement knew they were applying it to the wrong person and none of the govt drones stopped it.

I will be curious if we can find out how much it costs him to get the order removed and his guns back.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
I'm usually not one to propose personal injury litigation but I hope he gets the nastiest, creepiest, most aggressive bottom-feeder of bottom-feeder personal injury attorneys to bitch-slap the living crap out of the whole bunch. This BS needs to be nipped in the bud.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »
 42 U.S. Code § 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1983

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
A long time ago in a city far, far away, a co-worker of mine was arrested because his name was similar to the person's they were looking for.

For some reason it took a few hours to sort out when it should never have happened in the first place and even then it should have been like 10 minutes to resolve.

Similar but different name, different address, different car. Why is it so hard to figure this out?

The person they were looking for threatened to blow up his ex with a grenade so I get the urgency to find him but detaining the wrong guy and not figuring it out for hours was just letting the actual crazy-man have a chance to do harm.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 09:50:08 PM »
Reports like this make me glad my name isn't John Smith.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:18:36 AM »
Reports like this make me glad my name isn't John Smith.

Finding two people with your name would be pretty damned rare.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
"Florida Man Has Firearms Rights Taken Away Over Mistaken Identity "

Maybe they mistook him for Alabama Man
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
"Florida Man Has Firearms Rights Taken Away Over Mistaken Identity "

Maybe they mistook him for Alabama Man

Or Cro Magnon Man

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 12:05:38 AM »
Or Piltdown Man .... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
Method Man?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
It's not a mistaken identity if they know they have the wrong person.  This was something (not sure exactly what) between unlawful conversion and armed robbery.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/falsely-accused-florida-man-has-gun-rights-restored/
Falsely Accused Florida Man Has Gun Rights Restored

Sounds like some local LEO's took it upon themselves to get the woman who made the complaint to look at this guy's picture and verify it was not the person who was talking about.  

He still doesn't have his concealed carry license.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »

He still doesn't have his concealed carry license.

The article says he does.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:11 AM »
I wonder how this would have played out if this story hadn't gotten the media attention it did? Or, if the sheriff had been anti-2nd amendment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »
The article says he does.
Correct, I missed that part.  Thanks.

Florida Carry also started to get more involved in the case. Florida Carry has a history of battling the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs. With all the pressure being applied to them the Department restored Carpenter's permit.