Author Topic: Assault Weapons Ban II Language?  (Read 1127 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Assault Weapons Ban II Language?
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:53:31 AM »
Ripped the below off of Bartholomew Robert's post on THR, but looking at the list of prohibited items on this new ban proposal, it looks like this one would / could include the M1A/M14 and Ruger 10/22 (based on the very broad language of item 3, "barrel shroud")?

------------------
 H.R. 1022 - AWB II - What is in it?
Everything that was banned before is banned now, with a few new additions:

1. Ruger Mini-14s are banned by name along with M1 carbines, Saiga, Hi-Point Carbines, Oly OA pistols, and any SKS with a detachable magazine. (Sec. 3(a)(B)-(C))

2. Shotguns and pistols are also banned on characteristics as before. Any semi-auto with a fixed magazine of greater than 10 rounds is banned. (Sec. 3(a)(G)-(I))

3. Rifles are banned based on a new list of characteristics and you can have only ONE forbidden feature. Now prohibited is any semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine AND:

a folding or telescoping stock;
a threaded barrel;
a pistol grip;
a forward grip; or
a barrel shroud (which is defined so broadly it could mean anything from a rail system, freefloat tube or even the regular plastic/wood handguards) (Sec. 3(a)(F))

If you have one of these, you have a prohibited assault weapon.

4. Any frame or receiver substantially identical to a weapon described above is also an assault weapon (Sec. 3(a)(J)

5. A conversion kit (The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.) is also an assault weapon. So pistol grips, rail systems, threaded barrels etc. are assault weapons in their own right now. (Sec. 3(a)(K))

6. Any semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for law enforcement or military use (M1 Garand) is presumed to be an assault weapon and the Attorney General may restrict it if he decides it does not have a sporting use (actual use of the rifle in a sport doesn't mean it has sporting use according to this section). (Sec. 3(a)(L))

There is a grandfather provision; but it is different from the previous ban in two ways:

7. Anything declared an AW can only be transfered via FFL or to state/local law enforcement. No more private sales. (Sec. 6)

8. Now unlawful to transfer anything declared an AW with a large-capacity (greater than 10 rounds) ammunition feeding device (Sec. 7(a) - not more than 10yrs imprisonment)

9. All import of preban magazines banned and FFLs have 60-days to register existing stocks of preban magazines if they wish to transfer them. (Sec. 9 and Sec. 7(b)(4))

10. Giving either an AW or a large-capacity magazine to someone under the age of 18 is a felony crime. (Sec. Cool
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Assault Weapons Ban II Language?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:55:52 AM »
It looks a lot to me like they just cribbed the Crook County law in its entirety. Especially The List.

Poor Kel-Tec.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:56:39 AM »
There's the proof this will never pass.  It is totally unenforceable.  How do you register a magazine?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
There's the proof this will never pass.  It is totally unenforceable.  How do you register a magazine?

You're thinking logic, not JBT.

JBT logic is that due to the fact that a magazine can't be registered, it's a good excuse to break down the door and raid a place to seize all the unregistered magazines.

BTW, a grandfather clause requires PROOF you owned the thing, if they get nasty. Everyone have receipts for every single parts kit and pistol grip and mag they own? Otherwise...what stops them from claiming that you illegally bought it after the ban was enacted?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »
So you think the gov't is going to start breaking down people's doors to get their unregistratable hi-cap magazines?
Dude, you need help.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:30:54 AM »
So you think the gov't is going to start breaking down people's doors to get their unregistratable hi-cap magazines?
Dude, you need help.

I'm saying it'd be an excuse. As in, the BATFE equivalent of "well, looks like your taillight's out, there..."
Or even if it's just seen in public, as in at a range or post-disaster. Prove your magazine's legal! Can't? Sorry, we'll be taking that now. Gun shows should be fun.

You think the BATFE hasn't pulled crap like that in the past? What cave are you living in?

BTW, ad hominem insults are immature. Grow up.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »

BTW, ad hominem insults are immature. Grow up.

hahahahhaa
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:34:51 AM »
Why not?  They do it now for bundles of dried up weeds.  Hi-cap magazines would just another rationalization to go out, play with the toys and get some good PR to feed the sheep.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
I am certain that they would break down your door to get a lethal cop-killer high-capacity assault magazine off the streets.

If nothing else, it would be another felony to charge you with, one count per magazine.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »
I see we've hit the tinfoil-hat point of the discussion.  Pointing out that during the late unlamented AWB they did no such thing would be fruitless.  Pointing out that as far as I know BATFE never charged anyone under that statute, without some accompanying cause, would be fruitless.
Yes, BATFE (already way undermanned and staffed by temp workers) will suddenly turn into the Gestapo, breaking down your doors at midnight to get your Glock 15 rounder.  They will line you up in front of your kids and humiliate you.  You will go to jail for a very very long time.  There will be no trial, only the word of some cop on the take.  It's North Korea, here we come.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:50:29 AM »
The Rabbi, raids for scary looking guns are being conducted as we type in Chicago, CAGE, and New York City.  Raids for all guns transpired in New Orleans.

Why do you think that the government will not conduct raids for illegal contraband just as they do for drugs?  How are your magazines different once they are illegal? police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »
The Rabbi, raids for scary looking guns are being conducted as we type in Chicago, CAGE, and New York City.  Raids for all guns transpired in New Orleans.

Why do you think that the government will not conduct raids for illegal contraband just as they do for drugs?  How are your magazines different once they are illegal? police

Exactly!