Author Topic: Do yourselves a favor... (home maintenance)  (Read 506 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Do yourselves a favor... (home maintenance)
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:17:57 PM »
The toilet in the main bath has been acting up lately, running water. I put new guts in it nearly 25 years ago, so I figured I might as well just do it from the ground up, including a new seal.

I'm glad that I did for a couple of reasons...

First, the old wax seal was showing signs of imminent failure. I've had to plunge it a couple of times over the years and I'm thinking that might be what did it. No leaking, but I think it was right on the cusp.

The tank bolt washers disintegrated when I touched them. My guess is that they weren't too far from leaking, either.

And, most disturbing of all, the supply tube, which was one of the nylon reinforced flexible PVC type split when I started to unscrew it from the tank.

I replaced the seal with one of the new waxless ones. Hopefully it will do what it's supposed to do.

I also used one of the stainless steel wrapped supply tubes. They can still fail, but the stainless steel wrap will keep them from blowing out catastrophically.

In the coming weeks I'm going to replace the supply tubes on all of my sinks and the other toilets as well as the washing machine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Do yourselves a favor... (home maintenance)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:14:31 PM »
Just be prepare for unintended consequences, if you're going to mess with old plumbing. But I suppose you already know about that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Do yourselves a favor... (home maintenance)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
Just be prepare for unintended consequences, if you're going to mess with old plumbing. But I suppose you already know about that.

This is why I gave up my man card on plumbing when I got old. Anytime I do what Mike is talking about (which is a good idea), I pull a Grampster and get out the phone and checkbook. I'm completely paranoid about frozen fittings and breaking stuff behind walls.

I have it on my calendar to every few months turn the valves for all those fittings to exercise them and make sure they're not seized up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."