Author Topic: western movie question james coburn.  (Read 576 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
western movie question james coburn.
« on: August 25, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
i can't recall the title or find evidence of this movie, but there are sooooo many westerns ...
i am pretty sure it stars james coburn.
its about "the end of the cowboy era"
lots of out of work cowboys looking for work and some get lucky and get hired on.
one scene has a trick rider getting off and on his horse is a really fancy trick and coburn says he can do the same - only he simply gets on and than off the horse -
in essence coburn is the older cowboy knowing the end of wrangling is nigh and the kid is more into flash ..

I hope someone recalls the movie/title
tia pardners
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: western movie question james coburn.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:45:18 AM »
That sounds more like a scene from Monte Walsh with Tom Selleck.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:45 AM »
That sounds more like a scene from Monte Walsh with Tom Selleck.

I looked and there was apparently an earlier Monte Walsh that starred James Coburn, so maybe that's the movie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
Damn, I guess hollyweird hasn't had a new idea in longer than I thought.
I missed the Coburn version. Available on CD from Amazon.
I liked Coburn, first movies I remember him from were the Flint spy movies.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
Another vote for Monte Walsh. If you like it, you'll probably also like Will Penny.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
I remember a Coburn western in which he played a card sharp - a local gunslinger demanded he come outside and face him in a quick draw gunfight.

So Coburn went out - gunslinger at the other end of the street - and prepared to get on his horse and ride out. As the gunslinger came closer, Coburn took his rifle out of the scabbard on his horse and picked off the gunslinger. THEN he rode out.

Maybe this was Waterhole No. 3?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 12:28:06 AM »
Another vote for Monte Walsh. If you like it, you'll probably also like Will Penny.

Brad
Eureka!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS736TeriPc&list=PLwYyJUnbEv3t3aeLiTd4Ih6P9ZVz4i5EP&index=11&t=3295s
it was monte walsh, i guess i confused an older Lee Marvin with Coburn.

I really can't wait to see Will Penny, one of the few westerns i have not seen.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."