Author Topic: Crabapple jelly  (Read 2721 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Crabapple jelly
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
There are crabapple trees all over the place here, but only one tree that I've found with edible fruit, (I think it's a "Dolgo", a.k.a. "Pink Glow") and it makes wonderful jelly.  It's at the water treatment plant, and in August I start watching when I drive by for the apples to turn red.  They turned about a week ago, and I've picked about 8 pounds so far, plus I have about 5 pounds in the freezer.  Decided to juice them the old fashioned way instead of using my steam extractor because the steamer seems to water the juice down too much.

I followed the directions in the Certo (pectin) leaflet, except I didn't cut the ends off the crabs. If I recall correctly, it was 3.5 pounds of fruit and 3 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes, mash with a potato smasher, simmer for 5 more minutes. Then strain thru a jelly bag.

The resulting mash looked about like applesauce (except for the stems and skins.) I dumped it into a 1 gallon paint strainer bag and hung it up to drain. Got just over a cup of juice -- it was supposed to yield more than 5 cups but the fruit just absorbed the water and the applesauce was too thick to drain. I dumped the mash back into the pot and added 2 more cups of water. Then heated it to a simmer and poured it back in the bags and squeezed it. Got almost 2 quarts of clear juice, including the cup or so that I got the first time. I poured it all in tall pitcher and put in the fridge to settle the solids out that slipped through the bag because I squeezed it. (this morning it didn't look like much sediment)

Now I gotta decide whether to boil out the excess water or make jelly just like it is. I will probably boil it briefly to reduce it a little. I think this is still more concentrated than the juice I get from the steamer. It's a nice cranberry color. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:09:24 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Crabapple jelly
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:54:32 PM »
I made some recently with some random heirloom apples that were free. Had the same problem, added more water, turned out fine without cooking down.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Crabapple jelly
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:51:11 AM »
Thanks.  I've made one batch of jelly so far; there's so much pectin in the juice (without boiling it down any) I had trouble getting the sugar dissolved because the hot juice tried to set as soon as I dumped in the sugar, before I even got to the Certo.  I added the Certo anyway; it made a very stiff jelly.

I will probably make 2 more batches with the juice I have in the fridge.
"It's good, though..."