Author Topic: Wal Mart ends sales of handgun ammunition  (Read 2532 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Wal Mart ends sales of handgun ammunition
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/03/business/walmart-ends-handgun-ammo-sales/index.html

Now, we all know there are few calibers that are truly handgun calibers, but that's what they're saying.  Not that Wal Mart near me sells much ammo worth buying. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wal Mart ends sales of handgun ammunition
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
Walmart is now apparently the NASCAR of big box stores.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
I, for one, am glad that I will be able to continue to buy 9 mm at WalMart for my Ruger carbine.  I am certain they will take my word for it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
Screw Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Does that mean they have put their handgun ammo on sale to get rid of it?  Sounds like probably no. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Also I guess no more .308 for sale?

Another article I saw said the CEO is "offering his compliance system for free to other retailers". Whatever that all means.

I also need to bone up on my Oregon CCW rules regarding printing. I didn't care about it until now, but an Oregon Walmart is my closest big box store, so  I guess I now have to worry about some store employee calling the cops if I bend over to get something from a low shelf and my gun peaks out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
I also need to bone up on my Oregon CCW rules regarding printing. I didn't care about it until now, but an Oregon Walmart is my closest big box store, so  I guess I now have to worry about some store employee calling the cops if I bend over to get something from a low shelf and my gun peaks out.

Oregon is an open carry state so even if you show, who cares. ;)

Probably should look up and see if no gun signs carry the weight of the law. If not the worst is they can ask you to leave and then trespass you if you want to argue. 

I plan on honoring the Walmart request not to open carry in their stores the same way I honor the same request made by Starbucks and that is ignore it. If I am OC that day (which is probably 95% or more of the time)  then I will continue to OC while I am in the Walmart. If asked to leave I will, if not then of course all is good.

bob

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Also I guess no more .308 for sale?

Another article I saw said the CEO is "offering his compliance system for free to other retailers". Whatever that all means.

Hmm, same.  Stuck behind enemy lines in Eugene.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »

Well, I'm in America, but I cross enemy lines for the no sales tax.  =D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 01:16:19 AM »

Next time I'm down there to visit the in-laws I'll let you know.  Maybe we can grab a coffee, or go target shooting for a couple hours.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
Next time I'm down there to visit the in-laws I'll let you know.  Maybe we can grab a coffee, or go target shooting for a couple hours.

Fortunate that I just found a replacement shooting location in national forest land NW of Fernridge.  [ar15] =D

Depression has killed my volition to do anything so people dragging me along and forcing me to have fun against my will is pretty nice.  :lol:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 02:01:43 AM »
Oregon is an open carry state so even if you show, who cares. ;)
bob

Yup. I'm on the wrong side of the Cascades, but even here I occasionally see people open-carrying in town. Probably wouldn't even draw a raised eyebrow in Eastern Oregon.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
Yup. I'm on the wrong side of the Cascades, but even here I occasionally see people open-carrying in town. Probably wouldn't even draw a raised eyebrow in Eastern Oregon.

Yeah, I haven't worried about it up till now. When I OWB with an untucked tshirt in hot weather, half the time the tshirt rides up the holster and I end up OC'ing. Whether ID or OR, I don't care about it. Just wondering now if some new Walmart policy could potentially cause someone aggravation if that happens now in an Oregon Walmart. Not so much worried about the legality as I am with some overzealous employee getting the cops involved in a "man with a gun" kinda way vs just telling me to cover up or leave.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
I hate walmart.

At least local gun stores will probably see an uptick in ammo sales.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/walmart-discontinues-sale-of-auto-parts-to-prevent-car-accidents
Walmart Discontinues Auto Part Sales To Prevent Car Accidents

"We can no longer be complicit in an industry that kills over 3,000 people a day," said a spokesperson for Walmart. "Every time we sell a muffler, steering wheel cover, or flame decal, we are potentially causing the death of a person, and we cannot support that any longer."

"It's clear that bad drivers and poor road conditions don't cause vehicular deaths---cars do."

"Our consciences will only be clean when we've been mercilessly beaten once for each of the millions of deaths that have been caused by automobiles since Walmart began selling auto parts," said one executive before solemnly beginning to beat himself with a baseball bat.
I guess this means they are serious.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/walmart-discontinues-sale-of-auto-parts-to-prevent-car-accidents
Walmart Discontinues Auto Part Sales To Prevent Car Accidents

I guess this means they are serious.

Satire aside, Walmart could save more lives in one week by banning processed foods, fake foods, artificial sweetners, etc., than in 100 years of banning ammo.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
I'm old enough to remember when WalMart ads featured numerous "Made in U.S.A." products.

No more.

With elimination of some ammunition and EBR sales - items many of which are still Made in U.S.A. - this would seem to be another step in making WalMart a retailer of exclusively foreign made cr@p.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

castle key

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
If Walmart makes this choice, so be it. Private company....

As they are doing this in response to what they perceive to be a public safety issue, they should NOT discontinue the sales after running out, but rather simply stop sales and scrap the evil product. To continue the sales after they acknowledge the public safety impact is merely virtue signalling.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:38:06 PM »
On rare occasions I might pick up a bottle of Hoppes or some paper targets a Wally world but I haven't bought ammo there in close to 10 years.
I prefer to take my business to local gun shops or the regional farm store (Atwoods).
Just one more reason not to shop there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:44 PM »
I'm old enough to remember when WalMart ads featured numerous "Made in U.S.A." products.

No more.

With elimination of some ammunition and EBR sales - items many of which are still Made in U.S.A. - this would seem to be another step in making WalMart a retailer of exclusively foreign made cr@p.

I am old enough to remember that also, they really pushed their Made in the USA shtick for a while. Then it was, well we will sell made in USA if a US manufacturer can get within 5% of a foreign supplier. Then China became the supplier of choice for Walmart.

bob

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
If Walmart makes this choice, so be it. Private company....

Unfortunately, walmart's executives are also blabbing about how the government needs to impose more gun control.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 05:37:21 PM »
I bought some 9mm today.  They haven't stopped yet or put anything on sale. 

The Federal Syntech Defense HP ammo is pretty cheap.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »
Been in class all day, so haven't done any research, but I'm seeing headlines that say WalMart is also no longer selling ammunition for assault weapons ( ;/ ), and semi auto rifles.  Anyone else seeing this?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Been in class all day, so haven't done any research, but I'm seeing headlines that say WalMart is also no longer selling ammunition for assault weapons ( ;/ ), and semi auto rifles.  Anyone else seeing this?

I just saw, "short barreled rifles" whatever that is. Of course don't Ruger and a few others make some sweet bolt action "mountain rifles" for hunting in 18" barrels? Also 1894 Trapper carbines.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
Eh. I’ve been looking for an excuse to stop going to a very conveniently placed Wal-Mart for other reasons like the cheap Chinese products. They crossed the final line for me. For a few dollars a month more and about the same in price difference I can get everything I ever bought at that Wal-Mart elsewhere. I’m not a big Boycott person, but when reasons pile up I’m good with it.