Author Topic: Wal Mart ends sales of handgun ammunition  (Read 2534 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Wal Mart ends sales of handgun ammunition
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
I'll go check the local ChinaMart when I get word that my renewed prescription is ready.  Tomorrow, probably.  We shall see.  Really, I seldom buy ammo at this point, except for the occasional box of social purposes stuff.   Range ammo is hand loads.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
Tangent: I don't shop at WalMart.  Clientele sucks. Most of the employees suck.  Parking lot sucks (highest break in and hit/skip rates in the area.).

I've heard that they are able to do the lowest prices because they contract with the manufacturers for "special" models at lower prices. In trade, the manufacturers cut corners like shorter power cords, cheaper paint, etc.  A really good reason to stay away.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
No handgun ammo, even if is/can be used in a rifle, and no more 5.56 or .223.  I haven't heard anything definite regarding .22lr, all replies to that question have been along the lines of "I don't know".

They're going to sell at the regular price until all the proscribed ammo is sold off, including what's in the supply chain and/or required to fulfill contracts.  

This morning the store manager told me "no open carry" will be allowed in the store - but only a salaried member of management can say anything to the customer.  IIRC, here in TX, it's a "Please leave" and trespass if you don't.  Oh well, concealed means concealed and what they don't know....

I mentioned that, personally, I don't think this whole fiasco is a good idea; she said that since yesterday she's found a lot of people feel the same way.  

Purely political grandstanding.

Over the last few months we'd started buying more of our groceries at a couple of other stores.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
Tangent: I don't shop at WalMart.  Clientele sucks. Most of the employees suck.  Parking lot sucks (highest break in and hit/skip rates in the area.).

I've heard that they are able to do the lowest prices because they contract with the manufacturers for "special" models at lower prices. In trade, the manufacturers cut corners like shorter power cords, cheaper paint, etc.  A really good reason to stay away.

True.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Tangent: I don't shop at WalMart.  Clientele sucks. Most of the employees suck.  Parking lot sucks (highest break in and hit/skip rates in the area.).

I've heard that they are able to do the lowest prices because they contract with the manufacturers for "special" models at lower prices. In trade, the manufacturers cut corners like shorter power cords, cheaper paint, etc.  A really good reason to stay away.

I first saw that in action in 1993. I had a side gig as a security guard at the Zebco manufacturing plant in Tulsa. They had separate lines for product for Wal Mart. Plastic gears instead of metal, bushings instead of bearings and so on, but the outside shell looked just like the one you could buy at a proper sporting goods store.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
I've heard that they are able to do the lowest prices because they contract with the manufacturers for "special" models at lower prices. In trade, the manufacturers cut corners like shorter power cords, cheaper paint, etc.  A really good reason to stay away.
Not just WalMart - it happens with other large retailers too. I found that out over 30 years ago when a colleague compared a Stanley garage door opener purchased at Menards vs. one purchased elsewhere. The one from Menards had almost the same part number, but differences included plastic parts where the "standard" model used brass or steel.

Beware of consumer electronics sold at big box retailers that have a slightly different part number than what's listed at the manufacturer's web site.

Tangent: I don't shop at WalMart.  Clientele sucks

Oldie but goodie . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLc1ZRBfkvQ
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
Used to be I'd walk into a Walmart and find half a dozen things I wanted that weren't on my list. They were really good at getting impulse buys.

These days I'm lucky to find all the things I came to get in the first place, never mind the rest of the junk they're selling, because they're almost always out of stock. The stuff that would normally trigger an impulse buy is even crappier than it used to be if they even carry it anymore, and it often isn't even cheaper.

All of their USB-C stuff, for instance, is priced $3-$10 more than other brick and mortar stores in the area, let alone what you can find at Amazon or Monoprice. :facepalm:

Wal-Mart has been giving me less and less reason to shop for a while now. There are still a few things I can only reasonably get there, but I think for everything else, I'll be shopping elsewhere or online.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
Used to be I'd walk into a Walmart and find half a dozen things I wanted that weren't on my list. They were really good at getting impulse buys.

These days I'm lucky to find all the things I came to get in the first place, never mind the rest of the junk they're selling, ....

They're bowing to the almighty dollar.

The new distribution/storage system sucks.  Stores can't order what they want/need, they get what the new inventory software says they're short on.  On-site storage has been cut to a minimum, there's very little stored behind the wall now-a-days.  That's why the taller shelving was installed (top stock), to store the part of a case that won't fit below.  No more keeping a couple of cases stored in the backroom.  If the on-hand counts are off on a product, (and they always are, one way or the other), the store's not going to receive what they need - or they'll have too much of something they don't need.  This is also why the stores are putting more product on display in the large alleyways - no place to store it. 

And, of course, money's why they're going more to the self checkout.  A machine costs a lot less than a cashier.  Around here the self checkouts will be empty while people are standing 4 and 5 deep at a register with a cashier.  Corporate doesn't see that though.  Attempts to write the corporate offices have resulted in the email being forwarded to the store one shopped at for resolution - great, except the store can't do anything about corporate policy.

Maybe the current policy makers aren't planning on the chain lasting too much longer.  "Who cares? we'll get ours now".

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 11:07:37 PM »
... "Who cares? we'll get ours now".

That's exactly what is happening everywhere.  America is being liquidated.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »
"Clarification" by Walmart. Interesting that they refused to answer the question on .308 and 12 gauge. Also, how many people shoot Valkyrie? I would never have guessed Walmart even stocks it.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/exclusive-walmart-partially-clarifies-statement-on-ending-certain-ammunition-sales/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
The only reason I would get ammo occasionally at our local Walmart is I could buy the ammo right there at the sporting goods counter and didn't have to wait in line up front.  Also, they would generally have the Winchester white box pistol ammo a dollar or two cheaper than others stores.  Since I have been buying bulk pistol ammo online the last couple years, I don't do that much anymore.  Also, Academy has been improving their pricing on ammo lately.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »
The Wal-marts around me haven't sold firearms for years.  I think part of the problem was keeping employees who could competently complete the FFL transactions.  I could see from a business perspective where selling them might be more hassle than it was worth.

I rarely bought ammo there as I didn't often have an hour or so to kill waiting for someone to come and open the security case just to get a brick of .22s.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »
The Wal-marts around me haven't sold firearms for years.  I think part of the problem was keeping employees who could competently complete the FFL transactions.  I could see from a business perspective where selling them might be more hassle than it was worth.

I rarely bought ammo there as I didn't often have an hour or so to kill waiting for someone to come and open the security case just to get a brick of .22s.

Likewise, rarely bought ammo there, never a gun.

Outside of WM, there are 2 places in town that sell ammo.  The farm store, and the shoestring FFL/gunsmith I mostly deal with these days.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.