Author Topic: "OK" Sign Now Listed as Hate Symbol by the ADL  (Read 2206 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"OK" Sign Now Listed as Hate Symbol by the ADL
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »
I might be mixing them up with another Jewish organization, but I thought the ADL had a bit more common sense than this. They are officially listing the 4Chan "OK" hoax as a hate symbol.

As I have mentioned here before ad nauseam, this thing with the "OK" sign really grinds my gears. It's a primary sign of how absolutely crazy things are getting. And yes, I continue to use it as often as I always have. I don't care who is in the room, I will never stop to think, "Wait, is it okay to OK?"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/26/us/adl-new-hate-symbols/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: "OK" Sign Now Listed as Hate Symbol by the ADL
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
I keep asking older people:

Did the years from 1980-2000 seem as different and just plain INSANE of a change as the years from 2000-2020?

Because I feel like I'm living in a completely different world that I have no desire to be a part of. ("Through the looking glass")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »

Did the years from 1980-2000 seem as different and just plain INSANE of a change as the years from 2000-2020?

Because I feel like I'm living in a completely different world that I have no desire to be a part of. ("Through the looking glass")
There really wasn't the online echo chamber before 2000.  Prior to that, they were more likely to interact with more normal people around them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

The country from 1980-2000 was a bit wacky but still comprehensible and decent.
From 2000 onwards we have absolutly gone stark raving batsh|t cr@Zee.  As of September 2019 we are officially living in Clown World.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
The country from 1980-2000 was a bit wacky but still comprehensible and decent.
From 2000 onwards we have absolutly gone stark raving batsh|t cr@Zee.  As of September 2019 we are officially living in Clown World.

I guess that's the point of a "slippery slope", it implies things will not only get worse, but get worse faster as time goes on.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
Probably a lot of virtual high fiving and celebration on 4 Chan today. ;)

The power of a determined force and today's connected world producing results, intended or not.

:)

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
Why do surfacing divers hate the Jews anyway?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
There really wasn't the online echo chamber before 2000.  Prior to that, they were more likely to interact with more normal people around them.  

The dates are subject to some slippage, but that's the way I see it.  Pre-"stark raving batsh|t cr@Zeeness", the most sophisticated electronics in small retail stores and the like were fax machines and a TV set in the back room.

Personal communication with the whole world was pretty much limited to dial-up Bulletin Boards at 300-1200 baud, and chances were only one or two people at a time could participate in the board.

{I remember exerting great effort to set up my TI-99 4a* so I could type out stuff, store it on a 5-1/4" floppy (instead of cassette tape storage) and dump it to a bulletin board in one fell swoop, "when I got in."  Apple's donation of the 2e to thousands of schools all over the country had a large influence in the proliferation of computer savvy. I also remember several sitcom episodes of the time where the main premise was "getting a computer," or dealing with the home computer's  quirks.}

The widening of those channels and the proliferation of individual computer setups resulted, in my opinion, of "too much of a good thing," especially since anonymity was possible.  It wasn't like sitting around the wood stove in the general store and espousing some stupidity, or voicing that stupidity in a town meeting.

So.  Yes.  But without any sharp cutofff with respect to actual years.

Terry, 230RN

* The "4a" indicated that the Texas Instruments machine could handle upper and lower case text.  Whoopie !
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:50:42 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »

No, they did not.  It seems to be ramping up.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
I'm sure there could be discussion of the timing and "slope" of the craziness phenomenon, probably due to the timing of when the arguer entered the computer scene.  I don't see it as a cliff, but rather as a slippery slope that got more or less slippery from time to time.

I suppose one could even argue that the Macintosh attracted more "liberal" users than the PC, and the Mac, therefore, was the cause of all the contention and polarization.  If one were so inclined to so argue. :rofl:

So.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »
The dates are subject to some slippage, but that's the way I see it.  Pre-"stark raving batsh|t cr@Zeeness", the most sophisticated electronics in small retail stores and the like were fax machines and a TV set in the back room.

Personal communication with the whole world was pretty much limited to dial-up Bulletin Boards at 300-1200 baud, and chances were only one or two people at a time could participate in the board.

{I remember exerting great effort to set up my TI-99 4a* so I could type out stuff, store it on a 5-1/4" floppy (instead of cassette tape storage) and dump it to a bulletin board in one fell swoop, "when I got in."  Apple's donation of the 2e to thousands of schools all over the country had a large influence in the proliferation of computer savvy. I also remember several sitcom episodes of the time where the main premise was "getting a computer," or dealing with the home computer's  quirks.}

The widening of those channels and the proliferation of individual computer setups resulted, in my opinion, of "too much of a good thing," especially since anonymity was possible.  It wasn't like sitting around the wood stove in the general store and espousing some stupidity, or voicing that stupidity in a town meeting.

So.  Yes.  But without any sharp cutofff with respect to actual years.

Terry, 230RN

* The "4a" indicated that the Texas Instruments machine could handle upper and lower case text.  Whoopie !
I don't know if I really think anonymity was a driving factor.  I was thinking about the ability to find corners of the internet where you can voice ideas without allowing reality to intrude.  And moderators can kick out anyone who voices disagreement. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
^^
"And moderators can kick out anyone who voices disagreement."

A good point, thanks.

Terry

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
This racist hatred is FAR more pervasive than most people realize . . .

HATER!

WHITE SUPREMACIST!

DOUBLE HATER RACIST!

DEPLORABLE HATER!

FOREIGN HATER!

HALF WHITE SUPREMACIST!

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
This racist hatred is FAR more pervasive than most people realize . . .

HALF WHITE SUPREMACIST!

If he's half white, does that make him a half supremicist? So would that be a white (or half white) mediocritist?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »
^ Very grinnable, Hawkmoon.  =D

TNX.

Threadwin?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
If he's half white, does that make him a half supremicist? So would that be a white (or half white) mediocritist?

His white half enslaves his black half. Duh.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:37 PM »
A Universal Orlando actor who dressed as "Gru" from the “Despicable Me” animated movie franchise has been fired after allegedly making a hand gesture associated with white supremacists in a photo with a biracial girl.

The photo with the girl, now 7, who is autistic, shows her posing with the actor during a character breakfast at Loews Royal Pacific Resort, a Universal hotel, in March.

The photo shows the actor making an upside-down "OK" symbol with his hand on the girl's shoulder. The gesture is widely associated with white supremacy and far-right groups.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/universal-orlando-actor-fired-for-making-symbol-associated-with-white-supremacy
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 07:29:06 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/universal-orlando-actor-fired-for-making-symbol-associated-with-white-supremacy
The way they describe it, it sounds like it was not intentional. 

And from the quotes, I have to wonder if they are just setting up for a lawsuit or settlement.