Author Topic: Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico  (Read 13719 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=53045
Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico
posted by: Dan Boniface , Web Producer 

created: 2/20/2007 12:16:14 PM
deral court cleared the way for TV bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman to be extradited to face charges in Mexico, but the decision can still be appealed.

Norma Jara, a spokeswoman for the second district court in Guadalajara, said Thursday the court rejected Chapman's injunction request, ruling there was no reason not to try him on charges he illegally arrested Max Factor makeup heir and convicted rapist Andrew Luster in 2003.

"We only just heard about the Mexican court's decision to continue with the extradition proceedings, and are still in shock," Chapman and his wife, Beth, said in a statement issued Thursday night in Honolulu.

Our attorneys have not even been formally informed of the court's decision, as of yet. We are obviously deeply disappointed and fearful of what will happen, and are currently absorbing the news and discussing our options at this time.

Once Chapman has been formally notified of the decision, he has five days to file an appeal that could block his extradition.

Mexican authorities have already asked for Chapman's extradition from Hawaii.

Chapman's attorney said Friday he believes his client will be treated fairly by the Mexican judicial system, which allows for an appeal of a court decision to extradite Chapman and two fellow bounty hunters.

Attorney William Bollard said the only word Chapman's attorneys so far had of the Mexican court came through an Associated Press story out of Guadalajara.

"The legal process in Mexico continues, and we remain confident that our clients' case will be handled fairly through the appeals process, if necessary," Bollard said in a statement.

Bollard said the Chapmans are "relying on the Mexican judicial system to do the right thing by exonerating our clients."

The charges against the 53-year-old star of the A&E reality series "Dog the Bounty Hunter" stem from his June 2003 capture of Luster in Puerto Vallarta. Luster had fled to Mexico to avoid trial, and his detention by Chapman led to his return to the U.S. and a 124-year prison term.

Luster's capture shot the Honolulu-based bounty hunter to fame and led to the TV series.

Chapman, who is now free on $300,000 bail, faces up to four years in a Mexican jail if convicted. But his Mexican lawyer, Jorge Huerta, doubts he would get the maximum. Huerta said illegal detention is a relatively minor crime in Mexico, and that if Chapman is convicted, he would likely only have to pay a fine of several hundred dollars.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
Re: Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 03:11:49 AM »
Chapman ought to be extradited to Mexico - but ONLY AFTER all the Mexican druggies and murderers that Mexico flatly REFUSES to extradite back to the USA are back in the hands of the U.S. justice system.

On second thought, what was Chapman's "crime?" He nabbed a fugitive from U.S. justice that the Mexicans were doing nothing about. The way I see it, Chapman did us a service . . . but I wouldn't put it past "Jorge" W. Bush's so-called "Justice" department to punish him for it and send him back to Mexico.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:23:45 AM »
Tough call.

I have some respect for Chapman as, at 53, he's turned his life around -- big time -- from what it could have been and he runs his own business (to a degree) which is hard.

But he did enter another country, detain someone without jurisdiction there, kidnap them, and bring them back to the states: in a manner that nobody seems to want to describe.

I'm curious as to whether Luster was in Mexico legally.  If he was, I think Dog has a serious issues...  (Do we want somplace like Israel coming into the United States and kidnapping legal immigrants to face charges in Israeli courts?)

If Luster was in Mexico illegally, I don't know why Mexico cares about this, other than Dog made them look bad by doing something they wouldn't or couldn't.
Zeke

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:34:36 AM »
Tough call.

I have some respect for Chapman as, at 53, he's turned his life around -- big time -- from what it could have been and he runs his own business (to a degree) which is hard.

But he did enter another country, ...

Legally.  Unlike several millions of Mexicans that have entered THIS country, with the aid and encouragement of the very government that is trying so hard to convict Dog.

detain someone without jurisdiction there, kidnap them, and bring them back to the states:

He did not "kidnap" him - he ttok him into custody before he could either run away or tape himself raping some more women while they were doped with GHB, (which was found in his hotel room).  The Mexican authorities took Luster into custody when they arrested Dog, and it was the MEXICAN authorities who extradidted Andrew Luster to the United States - but they had little choice at that point.
in a manner that nobody seems to want to describe.

See above.

I'm curious as to whether Luster was in Mexico legally.  If he was, I think Dog has a serious issues...  (Do we want somplace like Israel coming into the United States and kidnapping legal immigrants to face charges in Israeli courts?)

read 'em and weep:

"In 1996, 1997 and 2000 Luster gave three women GHB, a known date rape drug, and raped them while they were unconscious. Luster was brought to trial in 2002. Soon afterward, police officers found videotapes of Luster raping the women in question, including one tape labeled "Shauna GHBing."

On January 6, 2003, the trial court found the appellant had voluntarily absented himself from the trial and declared him a fugitive.

On January 21, 2003, Andrew Luster was convicted of 86 of the 87 counts of rape against him.

On February 18, 2003, the court sentenced Andrew Luster to 124 years in prison, in absentia while still absent from the court. Also, on February 18, 2003, the trial court found that on January 4, 2003 the appellant willfully absented himself from both the court and the state.

The California Court of Appeal refused the appeal his attorneys filed on his behalf [1], ruling that as a fugitive from justice, Luster had forfeited his right to appeal. The California Supreme Court [2] and the United States Supreme Court [3] later refused to disturb this ruling. FindLaw record of the Motion to Dismiss Appeal [4].

Luster found his way to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico where he lived under an assumed name (David Carrera), surfing and partying. He was taken into custody by bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman, his son Leland Chapman, Tim Chapman, and two TV crewmen, in a noisy scuffle on June 18, 2003. Originally captured by the bounty hunter, Luster was taken into custody by Mexican authorities who then charged the bounty hunter with kidnapping. A search of Luster's room revealed more GHB [citation needed] as well as plans to rebuild his fortune [citation needed] and unspecified plans for "payback" against many of the participants in his trial."

Per wikipedia.

If Luster was in Mexico illegally, I don't know why Mexico cares about this, other than Dog made them look bad by doing something they wouldn't or couldn't.

DING DING DING  ...give the man a cee-gar!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:28:43 AM »
Turd governments have a notoriously big chip on their shoulder concerning jurisdiction and "saving face". Dog is being made an example - "Gringos, don't run amok in our bailiwick!" If he does get convicted, he'll get slammed with the maximum and become the new Billy Hayes. On the upside, when he comes out he can make "Midnight Express - Mexico Style".

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:38:55 AM »
Someone ask the Bush administration what their reaction is to an American citizen being extradited to Mexican "justice."

*crickets*

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:54:36 AM »
Don't screw with rich people who can pay big bribes to corrupt third world politicians.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
Given their political and judicial history, combined with an open and utter contempt for all things American, I have about as much respect for Mexico in this matter as I do for a dog turd.  It's something to be avoided unless you don't mind everyone around you turning up their nose because you smell like crap.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lonestar49

• friend
  • The Perfect_Storm
Re: Bounty hunter ‘Dog’ loses extradition battle in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »

Can you say "Bling!!"  

In every case, where a tourist is jailed in Mexico, it always turns into a corrupt judicial money pit for those connected to the jailed "victim".  Be it the mexican lawyers (who must represent anyone) along with the jailers, who determine the treatment he/she will receive while detained, and of course, the corrupt judge/s who control the flow of extortion money when it comes in (in this case, American dollars).  No matter, you/Dog can say goodbye to the $300,000 bail money, as to drop the charges would mean the return of that money..  Not gonna happen.

Then of course, the mexican (corrupt) lawyer that HAS to speak for him legally down there, will file for trumped up charges of his time (spent on this case) MONEY, that he has not been paid for.  It will go on, and on, until somehow, if Dog is betrayed by the US Government, and sent back, it will be another, USA fulfills its agreements with our neighbors to the South, as the beat of millions of illegals continues to drain ALL of our systems (and pockets).

Fight fire with fire, as I have said before.. It's the only way.

LS
~ Fate is the Hunter ~

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »
If they don't extradite Dog, perhaps Mexico will send "Persiga - a Cazador de la Generosidad" after him in Hawaii.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »

Like those two border patrol officers currently (last I checked) likely to catch shivs in the back in the prison they're in for daring to shoot a Mexican drug dealer? Does anyone really think that wasn't just to placate the Mexican corruption government?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »

Like those two border patrol officers currently (last I checked) likely to catch shivs in the back in the prison they're in for daring to shoot a Mexican drug dealer? Does anyone really think that wasn't just to placate the Mexican corruption government?

Yeah.  Shooting unarmed men is bad ju-ju.  Especially if you're an LEO.  Trying to cover it up makes it worse.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »

I guess that's why a guy from the U.S. spent time in a Mexican prison because they found a single cartridge rolling around under the seat of his pickup.  As a result of Mexico's absolute demand for judicial reciprocation, he is now branded a felon here in the U.S. for something that wouldn't have even generated a second glance from our law enforcement.  Some criminal, he.

The Mexican judicial system is about as trustworthy as a homicidal pedophile protecting a day-care center.  They demand we "respect their authorita" and then use every dodgy, flimsy, and otherwise underhanded tactic to take advantage of our judicial trustworthyness.  They hate us, pure and simple, and have no problem using official blackmail and enforcement tactics to "make the gringos pay" - one person at a time.  What U.S. citizens did there was legal here but they are still being being punished for life under our laws even though they never broke them!  All to appease a bunch of people who's only reason for even smiling at us is because we single-handedly support the entire economy of their northern states.

Mexico deserves no respect, and gets none from me.  For all I care they can scream until their lungs fall out.  My problem is our willing judicial reciprecation even though it is overwhelmingly clear that what they are seeking isn't justice.  It's revenge.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
Yup, in all the years I lived within sight of Tijuana I NEVER went there. Why? Because nearly every buddy of mine that did wound up in a Mexican jail with the US gov having to bail them out. Biggest scam ever on servicemen. Spitting on the street was one arrestable offense I remember hearing about.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
Hey, even fistful got thrown in the juzgado one time.   shocked
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
Hey, even fistful got thrown in the juzgado one time.   shocked

You should have just paid her. grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds funny.   smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »
Walkin' down Canal Street.....

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »
&$%% &#$ $)($( ^@%#$^ couldn't find a *(^)$ !!

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »
Finally found a !@#$, she was tall and thin....

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
A song?    undecided

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:28 PM »
I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds funny.   smiley
Walkin' down Canal Street.....
&$%% &#$ $)($( ^@%#$^ couldn't find a *(^)$ !!

grin
Finally found a !@#$, she was tall and thin....
A song?    undecided
Am I the only person who doesn't have a clue what any of this means?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
Nope, same here.

Brad
-HankB

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
You guys are way too young.