Author Topic: Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico  (Read 13720 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Bounty hunter ‘Dog’ loses extradition battle in Mexico
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 02:04:03 PM »
You guys are way too young.

No, you senile goats are too old. : neener :

K, I searched.  Now I understand.  Shame on you guys.  'Specially you Rabbi, a man of ***.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Bounty hunter Dog loses extradition battle in Mexico
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 02:40:07 PM »
What? I thought it cleaned up nicely!  angel

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lonestar49

• friend
  • The Perfect_Storm
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds funny.   smiley
Walkin' down Canal Street.....
&$%% &#$ $)($( ^@%#$^ couldn't find a *(^)$ !!

grin
Finally found a !@#$, she was tall and thin....
A song?    undecided
Am I the only person who doesn't have a clue what any of this means?

It's simple: it's a Mexican Ticket/Citation.  Answer yes or no and sign.  The right answer will get you released on your own recognisance with just a fine to be determined by the issuing cop, on the spot, and your free to be on your way.  The other answer will land you in jail..  But, you must answer and sign right now!!  It's Mexican 50/50 justice..

LS
~ Fate is the Hunter ~

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »
hate to bring this kinda sorta back on topic....

(Do we want somplace like Israel coming into the United States and kidnapping legal immigrants to face charges in Israeli courts?)

Can't see the negative side of that.  Our immigration standards are getting lax, and the Izzy's have an excelent track record of dealing with Islamic scum.  we could stand to learn from em'.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 05:57:28 PM »
(Do we want somplace like Israel coming into the United States and kidnapping legal immigrants to face charges in Israeli courts?)

If said Israelis are fugatives from justice and our government does nothing to extradite them back to Israel, I have no problem with that.

This issue with Dog Chapman is just another example of the depth of hypocrisy the Mexican government has sunk to.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »
Wait a second...

If Duane "Dog" Chapman is worth his salt as a bounty hunter (and an ex-con murderer), wouldn't he be fairly well versed in his trade, to the point that he'd know the legal ramifications of breaking international law?   shocked

Looks like the bonehead didn't get any of the $1 Million bounty for Andrew Luster, either:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/09/national/main535821.shtml

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »
K, I searched.  Now I understand. 

Post the link and save us some time.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
Post the link and save us some time.

But then how will you ever learn anything Grasshopper?

OK.  Here is what I found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Down_Canal_Street

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »
wow, I love finding stuff like that, seeing where Dylan stole his stuff from.

"they walked along by the old canal, a little confused I remember well, checked into a strange hotel with the neon burning bright"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 07:33:25 PM »
A Simple Twist of Fate, I think is the title, gunsmith?

Rabbi, Sindawe, that is pretty nasty stuff.  Actually, I was arrested for having a Leatherman Super Tool in my pocket.  I'm sure some Mexican cop has it in his pocket right now.  They were nice, and only set the fine at half the cash in my wallet.  Good thing they didn't find the other fifty in my sock.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 01:46:45 AM »
If Duane "Dog" Chapman is worth his salt as a bounty hunter (and an ex-con murderer), wouldn't he be fairly well versed in his trade, to the point that he'd know the legal ramifications of breaking international law? 
Looks like someone thought maybe international law didn't apply to them. HE's probably not thinking that too much anymore these days. I know this is OT but, speaking of our "reality" stars, anyone heard how Jesse James got fined $271,000 for producing bikes that didn't meet Kali emissions laws? I just find that to be SO amusing.  laugh

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
He gets that price for just a few bikes.  So he's still a couple mill in the black this year.

Was Chapman a "reality star" prior to busting Luster?  I thought that was the bounty that made him famous and got him his show.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »
I don't know, I always figured if the show was based on real life it was a reality show.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
I don't know, I always figured if the show was based on real life it was a reality show.

Which came first?  The cable show or the filmed Luster bust?

I thought it was the bust that got him the show on the air.  Which would make him not a tv personality at the time, thus not a guy who thought his stardom gave him a pass.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
Good question, I'd seen him around quite a while before I heard about this Mexican thing. I thought the show came first.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »
Hang on, I'll wiki...  grin

On June 18, 2003, the Chapman trio captured convicted fugitive rapist Andrew Luster (heir to Max Factor cosmetics), who had fled to Mexico.

The program spun off from their appearance in the A&E Network's Take This Job, a program about people with unusual occupations. Both shows are produced for A&E by Hybrid Films, a New York-based production company.

the A&E cable series Take This Job [first aired in 2003]... revolved around unusual people in unusual professions. The opening episode set the series' tone by focusing on prominent Hawaiian bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman, whose recent capture of millionaire fugitive Andrew Luster had made international headlines

[the "Dog the Bounty Hunter Show]
Original channel A&E Network
Original run August 30, 2004  Present

Looks like he made the capture, got the A&E segment later that year and then a year later got his own show.  He was well-known in the bounty hunter community prior to the Luster bust (lust-or-bust, heh) but not a "star".

280plus

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
Well I'll be, so it would appear Mexico had started extradition on him prior to or about the same time of his getting his own show? Or did it take them a while to decide to do so?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »
More wiki...

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Chapman#2006_arrest_.26_extradition_proceedings

Andrew Luster
Main article: Andrew Luster
On June 18, 2003, Chapman made news with his hunt and capture of Max Factor cosmetics heir Andrew Luster, who at the time was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Luster had fled the United States in the middle of his trial for poisoning and rape, and was convicted in absentia on 86 counts including multiple rape charges connected to assaults in 1996, 1997 and 2000.[3]

Chapman was assisted by his "hunt team", consisting of Tim Chapman and son Leland. Mexican authorities ordered Chapman and his team to transfer Luster into Mexican police custody, but they refused, and were arrested for kidnapping and unlawful detainment. On July 3, 2003, they were officially declared fugitives by a spokesman for the Mexican Government, after failing to report to the Mexican courts as ordered.

2006 arrest & extradition proceedings
On September 14, 2006, just days prior to the statute of limitations, Chapman, along with his son Leland Chapman and associate Tim Chapman (no relation), were arrested by United States Marshals and jailed in Honolulu on behalf of the Mexican government.[4] All three were charged with felony restraint involving the 2003 kidnapping of Andrew Luster. Bounty hunting is a crime under Mexican law, and they each face up to four years in Mexican prison if they are convicted.[citation needed]  After spending one night in the federal detention center, Chapman told reporters: "The federal marshals treated us with great respect. But let me tell you, you never want to go to a federal prison, because it's terrible."[5]

Looks like someone raised a stink at the last minute.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
I'm assuming they refused to transfer Luster to the Mexicans (which is what caused their arrest) both in order to get the bounty and because they figured Luster would be released unextradited / slapped on the wrist and wouldn't face American justice.

For all his faults (most freely admitted by Chapman) he appears to be sincere in wanting the bad guys to do their time, no reason not to make a buck doing it if you can.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 01:38:35 PM »
Looks like someone raised a stink at the last minute.
Yup, I'd say so. I find it kind of ironic though that at the time he's tracking down all these bad guys he himself was a fugitve. The proper thing for him to have done was report to the Mexican courts as ordered. He probably would have gotten off fairly light but now they're after blood I'll bet.

Too bad he got his kid involved in all this too. It's almost like the model couple we're hearing about here in CT right now. Mommy and daddy drug dealers involving their 18 yo son in the family "business". They ruined the kid's life.

Thanks for the research and bringing me up to speed.  smiley

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
Aw shucks, it was nothing.

No, really, I had to type about 4 words and then cut and paste.  grin

I don't agree that he would have gotten a "slap on the wrist".  If I remember correctly Mexico was quite embarrassed that a wanted American fugitive was living the public high life and they ignored it (corruption). 

Having a yankee come in and do their job for them was a slap in the face.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
You have a point. Still, wouldn't you think he made it worse for himself by ignoring the court order?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 01:56:49 PM »
You guys are way too young.

Yea, well, we're working on that.... now give!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

280plus

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Don't be in too much of a hurry to get old, you'll get there soon enough!  laugh

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »
You have a point. Still, wouldn't you think he made it worse for himself by ignoring the court order?

Oh yeah, in fact I'm pretty sure he just figured the coin wouldn't flip, especially by the Feds, since he had brought in a real bad guy.  Certainly not at the last minute like that.

Right or wrong, he got politicized.