Author Topic: Concealed Carry Attitudes  (Read 1064 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Concealed Carry Attitudes
« on: September 16, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/walmart-banned-open-carry-i-know-why-i-paid-attention-ncna1054396

I saw the bottom half of this article posted on Truth About Guns.  IMO, ignore the first half about Walmart.  Look at the 2nd half where he talks about his own experience carrying.  I am not sure how much of an example he is, but I think his attitude is more about his own personal hang ups with guns.  I thought it was worth a few minutes read.

I still have the gun, and I still have the permit. And there’s certainly a part of me that appreciates knowing that I could slide that holster under my belt and carry my gun if I really felt the need to do so. But I just don’t, so my gun stays locked away in a safe in my closet. I’m comfortable with that. I wish more of my fellow Americans would come to the same conclusion.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/hunter-carrying-a-gun-doesnt-make-americans-as-worthy-of-the-responsibility-as-cops-or-soldiers/
Here is the Truth About Guns link. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Concealed Carry Attitudes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
The author is a moron, and an anti-gunner who thinks having a permit that he never uses gives him crediblity. He's wrong.

They’ve simply decided that eliminating open carry in their store, referred to by gun advocates as “constitutional carry,” is the right thing to do, particularly for the customers who don’t openly carry guns.

"Constitutional carry" does not refer to open carry. "Constitutional carry" is lawful permitless carry.

After the bans, one gun rights group naturally responded to the request by Walmart for customers to refrain from displaying weapons in their stores by encouraging its members to open carry.

What gun rights group did this? I don't believe it.

For much of our history, some Americans have believed that the right to keep and bear arms is what ensures their freedom. As the old maxim goes, God made Man, but Sam Colt made him equal; private firearms ownership is said to have democratized (to some people) law enforcement in early America and supposedly allowed those who could obtain and effectively use guns to live without fear of being victimized by others who could obtain and effectively use guns. Many of the people who engage in open carry today do so because they believe they’re protecting themselves and everyone else by being armed; their ability to open carry, they believe, provides both protection to others and deterrence to a few — a tradition that they believe goes back to colonial times and a public service for which all of the rest of us should be thankful.

BS. Open carry advocates -- in general -- don't equate open carry with their ability to defend themselves and/or others. They consider having a gun to be the crucial factor in having the ability to defend. They advocate open carry because for many people, in certain climates and with certain wardrobes, open carry is simply easier and more comfortable.

I needed my gun for a little more than a year, and I carried it everywhere, everyday. But then I stopped. Once the last of the trials connected to my client’s murder was over, I kept finding more and more times when I couldn’t justify having the gun on me, let alone force everyone else around me to have to think about it. And, like the agent said, once I didn’t need it all the time, I knew I probably didn’t need it at all. I haven’t carried it since.

How do you know when you might need it and when you won't need it? I can't recall a single mass or school shooting event in the United States in which the shooter(s) called each victim beforehand and alerted them that he (or she) was going to shoot up [insert name of venue] at xx:yy o'clock on [insert date], so be prepared.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »
Hawkmoon: Open Carry Texas, according to the link in the article.

I bet this guy is closer to the norm when it comes to gun owners than we'd like.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
I would suggest the author of the dreck in that article never held a handgun, or any gun, at any time in his or her's life.

Helping subdue MS-13.  Ya, sure, dude(tte).
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
I missed another of his comments:

I also learned that carrying a gun — even with a license, training and a real need for it — doesn’t make me as worthy of that responsibility as real cops and soldiers are, and it didn’t make me an action movie hero. Yes, I had a real, articulable need to carry a firearm and I carried one of the best made and engineered handguns available on my hip — which would have been super cool to 16-year-old me, but I didn’t have the training or responsibility of a real cop and I wasn't any Jason Bourne.

I needed my gun for a little more than a year, and I carried it everywhere, everyday. But then I stopped.

But the Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs. I don't have to have a "real, articulable need" to carry a gun in order for me to do so. If I think an engraved Colt 1911 with gold inlay looks like a dandy accoutrement to my engraved, silver-inlaid rodeo bronc busting belt buckle and my hand-tooled Mexican leather belt, the 2A says I can keep and bear (carry/wear) that engraved Colt -- whether or not I "need" it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:11 PM »
In my 21 years of carrying concealed, I have rarely encountered anyone who would agree with any articulable need I might express for the practice.  Unsurprisingly, the people I've met most likely to agree with any lawful purpose have been cops.  Much more distressing are the number of soldiers who eschew the practice.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »
Hawkmoon: Open Carry Texas, according to the link in the article.

I bet this guy is closer to the norm when it comes to gun owners than we'd like.
Close at all is more than I would like.  IMO, this is one of those people who is scared of guns or of what they are tempted to do with them.  Maybe he shouldn't have one, but he shouldn't spread that restriction to normal people. 

There are a lot of gun owners who are not into gun culture or have little interest in guns themselves.  Not anti-gun, just indifferent.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:35 AM »
Yeah, why would I "need" a gun in Walmart? No one's ever been killed to death there.

It reminds me of the argument, right after the Sandy Hook murders, that your kids obviously don't need the armed protection at school that politicians' kids receive at Sidwell Friends. After all, there's no chance someone is going to kill your unimportant, non-political-class kid, in Mayberry. (Did I mention the whole controversy ensued from a shooting in some random school?)

But over time, I learned something that I wish more gun owners knew: Carrying a gun isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I learned that most people I encountered actually didn’t feel better knowing that I had a gun. And, though I tried to keep it concealed in a hip holster under a shirt or jacket, the people who inevitably did glimpse it frequently wondered why I had it and whether my gun or my presence put them in danger — like the staff and customers who panicked at that Walmart in Missouri. Even the people who knew and trusted me — knowing that I was a responsible gun owner who had been threatened — wondered if being near me in public exposed them to the same danger in which I’d found myself.

I also learned that carrying a gun — even with a license, training and a real need for it — doesn’t make me as worthy of that responsibility as real cops and soldiers are, and it didn’t make me an action movie hero. Yes, I had a real, articulable need to carry a firearm and I carried one of the best made and engineered handguns available on my hip — which would have been super cool to 16-year-old me, but I didn’t have the training or responsibility of a real cop and I wasn't any Jason Bourne.

The usual gun-culture-adjacent sophomore trying to teach the "gun nuts" about something we know a lot more about than he does. Because the unwashed right-wing deplorables stand always in need of wisdom from the left. Curious how these people always seem to know more than we do about everything from racial issues to Christianity to whatever else they're trying to screw up with their stupid ideas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »

That's your problem, bucko. There are literally thousands of classes across the country that will give you training that is superior to the "standard" for most cops.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »
That's your problem, bucko. There are literally thousands of classes across the country that will give you training that is superior to the "standard" for most cops.

Aside from that, to hell with this slavish idea that we must be cops or military to be "worthy" to carry a gun. Are you a free adult man or woman? Yes? Then MAKE YOURSELF worthy. Get some instruction. Read a book. Go to a range and learn to shoot.

In the mean time, if you don't feel worthy, that's on you. If Walmart feels I'm "unworthy," they don't need to worry about me darkening their door.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:05:29 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »
Aside from that, to hell with this slavish idea that we must be cops or military to be "worthy" to carry a gun. Are you a free adult man or woman? Yes? Then MAKE YOURSELF worthy. Get some instruction. Read a book. Go to a range and learn to shoot.

In the mean time, if you don't feel worthy, that's on you. If Walmart feels I'm "unworthy," they don't need to worry about me darkening their door.

Very good, fistful.