Author Topic: Pole saws?  (Read 813 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Pole saws?
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
I've got two nice Stihl chainsaws, which are great for felling trees and cutting them up on the ground.

I've been thinking about getting a pole saw, it would be useful around here to have a little reach upward.  I'm leaning toward gas, but with the inverter installed in the pickup, I'd entertain thoughts on an electric.  Recommendations?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Pole saws?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
I gotta say, I have been surprisingly happy with my Harbor Freight super coupon 40v saw. The first thing I used it for when I moved here was cutting down limbs and branches that were overhanging the road too low or near the power lines. It's light weight, which makes it easy to use when fully extended.

It only has a 10" bar, but I had no issues with the <8" diameter limbs I've been cutting. It was also great for one of my ag pump houses, which the former owner let get overgrown with my hated, thorny, Russian olive trees. Being able to stand back with the pole saw to open up the area definitely kept me from being a bloody mess.

https://www.harborfreight.com/40v-lithium-cordless-pole-saw-64718.html?_br_psugg_q=pole+saw
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:49:40 PM »
Boy talk about a good topic. I'm actually looking for one myself. I'm thinking of a son Joe electric model. I really don't have much in the way of heavy duty use for it so I don't need a lot of power.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
Boy talk about a good topic. I'm actually looking for one myself. I'm thinking of a son Joe electric model. I really don't have much in the way of heavy duty use for it so I don't need a lot of power.

They actually have a surprising amount of power for as little as they are. I had the regular electric Harbor Freight one before I got the 40v, and I'm not seeing any less power out of the cordless one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
I bought the $19 hand powered one at the homeless despot, and for the once or twice a year I use it I've got no complaints.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 06:20:30 AM »
If you have a good shaft drive weed eater get one that attaches to that. I was running one 12 ft long I think, very handy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Ordered a Sun Joe convertible. Works as a pole saw or a hand held chain saw.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »
Finished using the Sun Joe to take down a 6" maple in my back yard.

What a great piece of kit!