Author Topic: Amazon Imposters  (Read 1790 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon Imposters
« on: September 15, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Man, I am getting sick of this *expletive deleted*it.

It seems Amazon either refuses to vet sellers or is simply so big now that they can't do so. I have in the past couple of months been ripped of twice now by Chinese imposters.

First was a "Don't Tread on Me" shirt, which is from the DTOM brand. I've bought their excellent quality shirts before on Amazon, and recently bought another, which specifically said DTOM brand, and the image showed the DTOM label silk screened inside the shirt collar, which is how you know they are authentic. When it arrived, it was made of crappy material, a size too small, didn't have the DTOM label, and when I double checked the order, saw it was fulfilled by "Wawalove", which is a Chinese knock off company.

The second one was a cable for my Garmin Fenix 5 fitness watch. Garmin cables are like $25, and third party cables are around $5. I originally bought third party cables, because I've had good luck with them for my smart phones. However, I have had zero luck with third party cables for the watch, so decided to spring for the Garmin cable. I specifically looked to see that it was a Garmin product before I bought it. Sure enough, it arrived and I have had a 50% success rate getting it to connect. Further investigation showed it to be another Chinese imposter.

I don't know how Amazon lets these imposter companies thrive on their site.  I can only assume Amazon is so big now, they just can't keep up with the fraud.

So public service announcement: Triple check your Amazon purchases and be sure to read the reviews carefully to weed out the imposters from the real thing. Sadly,  I think Amazon is really going downhill in the quality department and is overloaded with fake reviews. I'm about ready to just go back to brick and mortar.

/End rant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Amazon Imposters
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:01 PM »
That and a bunch of folks will pick the lowest price, no matter what, and not pay attention to the actual seller.

I have tended of late to avoid all resellers on Amazon's site.  If I want a specific brand, I'll go to their website, and I'll buy from Amazon itself, but the "marketplace" has become a complete mess.  I'll just go to ALiexpress or Ebay if I want that digital souk experience.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:15:08 AM »
That and a bunch of folks will pick the lowest price, no matter what, and not pay attention to the actual seller.

That's how I generally know something is up. With the two items I mentioned, they were at the manufacturer's price, leading me to believe they were in fact genuine. Which was even more infuriating.

I'm tending towards only ordering when "fulfilled by Amazon". It takes away some value from Prime shipping if I'm ordering elsewhere and paying shipping, but better than getting ripped off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
I've gotten ripped off twice for small items so far. One item had over 500 reviews, mostly positive, when I went back to read the reviews, the reviews were for a different product entirely.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Had it happen once on a thankfully-minor electronics purchase. Now I only buy items listed as "Sold by and ships from Amazon" or "Sold by CompanyName and fulfilled by Amazon" unless there's simply no other choice. If I do have to take the plunge, I vet the hell out of the seller before hitting the Go button.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:33:28 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
It might not be as profitable for Amazon, but it would sure help their reputation if they split their site into something like:

Amazon: The actual Amazon site, with ordering done through, or fulfilled by Amazon (the way it used to be).

Marketplace - Powered by Amazon: Where all the third party sellers ply their goods.

At least then, customers could clearly make a conscious choice regarding third party sellers. It's not like all Amazon third party sellers are bad. I've had really good luck with stuff like buying used paperbacks to complete an out of print collection, which often ended up being just some guy with a garage full of books. Good prices and the books were exactly as described. It has been a while since I did that, so who knows, maybe that has gone downhill as well.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
FIND THE AMAZON IMPOSTER!

. . . sorry about that . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
HankB needs a hefty whack with the banschwerk.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »
I've gotten ripped off twice for small items so far. One item had over 500 reviews, mostly positive, when I went back to read the reviews, the reviews were for a different product entirely.

I have come to wonder how Amazon's site structures its reviews. I very often start to read reviews, only to discover that 75% of them aren't for the model -- or even the item -- I'm considering.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »
HankB needs a hefty whack with the banschwerk.

As the songwriter once wrote, "Two out of three ain't bad."

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »
So an update, I decided to review the products I complained about here.

The shirt I gave a 5 star review, because when I reordered the real thing with Amazon as the seller it was 5 stars. I mentioned in the review the fake shirt I originally got and gave a "buyer beware" warning regarding checking who is sending you the shirt. Amazon posted the review, and it's actually the "most helpful" now for that product.

I did the same thing for the fake Garmin cable, but gave it a one star, because I didn't reorder it and what I got is what I got. Amazon has now twice denied my review because it didn't meet their rules. I reworded it yet again and just sent this:

Amazon refused to accept my first two reviews on this, maybe the third time will be the charm.

Absolutely check the seller on this cable. It always says "Garmin" at the top of the page (right by "Amazon's choice"), but you're rolling the dice on if it will be a Garmin cable if it is sold by anyone other than "fulfilled by Amazon". I specifically ordered the expensive Garmin cable because I went through several Chinese knock-offs on Amazon that didn't work right. When this cable arrived it was not in Garmin packaging, and not only do I have to force it into my Fenix 5, but it only connects half the time. The order shows it was fulfilled by "Techware". It simply ended up being another Chinese knockoff, but it was sold as a Garmin product.

Amazon has a big problem regarding third party sellers being able to advertise themselves as an OEM product. This is the third time I've been ripped off on something the Amazon page says is an OEM product, but ends up being a knock-off provided by a third party seller. If it's clearly advertised as a third party product, fine - you pays your money, you takes your chances. When the Amazon page clearly states it's an OEM product however (and you pay the OEM price), that's a problem.

Again, double check the seller before you purchase this product. From some of the reviews and accompanying images, some people actually did get the real thing. Other reviews though, show that others have been ripped off the same as me. Buyer beware.

When I hit submit, I got:

We are processing your review. This may take several days, so we appreciate your patience. We will notify you when this is complete. Please note that if the review is about the your experience with a third-party seller, we may move it to the seller’s profile page.
Bolding mine.

This leads me to believe they are well aware of the problem, but are shifting reviews to sellers pages. How many people look at those pages (admittedly I do now that I've been ripped off)? Also, again, the Amazon controlled page says "Garmin", so it's not all on the third party seller. We'll see if this third try goes through.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
I got an amazon package in the mail I did not order (cheap mpow earmuffs).

Amazon had no record of the tracking number on the package.

I think the seller may be running a brushing scam...

Sending out unsolicited packages, and and then writing fraudulent reviews of their own products.

It was weird.

I don't think amazon is going to do anything about it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
And they denied my third attempt at a review. Bastards.

ETA: To add insult to injury, because I'm in a complainy mood this morning, the Garmin cables are listed as out of stock in every big box store, and while I can get it on the Garmin site, Garmin irritates me further with "free shipping on all orders over $25". The cable is $24.99.  [ar15]

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
And they denied my third attempt at a review. Bastards.

ETA: To add insult to injury, because I'm in a complainy mood this morning, the Garmin cables are listed as out of stock in every big box store, and while I can get it on the Garmin site, Garmin irritates me further with "free shipping on all orders over $25". The cable is $24.99.  [ar15]

Yup... amazon also wouldn't let me leave a review of mpow based on their brushing scam.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
Thread necro to gripe and complain.

So because I couldn't find the Garmin cable elsewhere, I took a chance at ordering AGAIN from Amazon, making sure the order was fulfilled by Amazon. I received the real Garmin OEM cable. I thought, to be helpful, I would again attempt to submit a review to keep others from getting screwed. Especially since half the reviews are one star because people got the knock-off. You would think me doing this would be beneficial to both Garmin and Amazon. This was my review:

5 Stars For the Actual Garmin Cable

For the actual Garmin OEM cable I give this 5 stars. I specify this because this is my second purchase of this cable. The first time, what I received for the Garmin price was a Chinese knock-off cable in a plain plastic bag. It would not even seat in my Fenix 5X plus socket. Having dealt with a similar issue with other Amazon products, I ordered the cable a second time, but made sure that the order was fulfilled by Amazon, and not a 3rd party seller. More than once I have been screwed by a 3rd party seller sending me a knock-off instead of the actual item.

This is why reviews for this item run from one star to five. Some people got the knock-off cable (for the Garmin price). The Garmin OEM cable will come in a sealed Garmin box. If it doesn't, you got the knock-off and should use Amazon's return policy to exchange it. Also report the seller. The Garmin cable will also be short. The knock-off will be long, and of smaller diameter than the Garmin cable.

Amazon once again refused my review as "not meeting guidelines". It's like they're trying to cover up the whole third party seller problem at the expense of their customers. I'd actually like to find a way to escalate this, but Amazon doesn't seem to have an option for contesting review denials. The only option they give with their rejection email is to leave seller feedback, which just goes to the seller. That doesn't help customers. Anyone have any ideas?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Remove the word "Chinese" and I bet it goes through. Say something like "import knock-off".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 04:51:16 PM »
And remove the word "screwed".  Use some other less perjorative term.  They still may not accept the review because in their minds you are complaining more about the service than the product, even though the product was substandard.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
I don't think either of those two things matter. I used "Chinese" and "crappy" in this review, and it's the top review for the item.

This is my third DTOM shirt. They are great shirts made of comfortable material and they fit well. Note they are "athletic fit", so if you're looking for a loose fit, maybe order one size up. I wish they would make more designs, because I'd certainly order more.

NOTE: Be SURE that the shirt you buy is "Sold by DTOM, fulfilled by Amazon"! This is actually my second shirt of this print. When I ordered the first one, I didn't pay attention and only saw "DTOM brand" but it was fulfilled by "Wawalove", which is apparently a Chinese knock-off company. That shirt arrived last week, and was made of crappy material and was at least a size too small, and the DTOM label was not inside the collar. Completely different than the real thing. I had to reorder the shirt from DTOM. I don't know how Amazon doesn't catch these imposters, but just be aware and make sure you only buy from DTOM.