Author Topic: Cancel Culture Backfire  (Read 3461 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cancel Culture Backfire
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
We need to see more of this. I'm sick and tired of all these SJWs digging into people's childhoods to destroy them. Especially so for stories like this one. For those that haven't seen it yet, a guy in Iowa raises $1million for a kids hospital. A Des Moines newspaper reporter does a "social media background check" on him and finds typical teenage tweets from him when he was 16. The newspaper does a big story on it, and Annheiser Busch pulls its sponsorship from the guy. Nevermind where the money was going.

Besides the newspaper getting absolutely hammered, it turns out there's no "immunity" from "social media background checks". People pulled problematic tweets from the reporter, and Dana Loesch managed to find some old Busch advertising that is racist in today's culture. I love watching glass houses shatter.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/09/25/geneseo-brewing-co-to-honor-iowa-legend-carson-king-with-a-new-pilsner/

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/09/25/how-far-does-this-go-dana-loesch-dares-anheuser-busch-to-apply-the-same-standard-they-set-for-carson-king-to-themselves-pic/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
SCUM SUCKING, BOTTOM FEEDING, WEASEL BASTARDS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/some-absolute-toad-from-the-des-moines-register-digs-up-tweets-from-carson-king-the-iowa-state-kid-who-raised-1-million-for-the-childrens-hospital-and-plans-to-expose-him-internet-beats-him-t

This is exactly why I hate journalists. They try to kneecap a guy for DONATING A MILLION DOLLARS TO KIDS WITH CANCER. Over 8 year old posts, from when he was 16, where he was quoting a show from Comedy Central.

And the cowards at Anheuser-Busch drop him immediately. They deserve a nice boycott too. (But, since I don't drink their crap, I can't NOT drink them any more than I already am.)

I honestly don't know if I could refrain from spitting on the reporter and his editors, were I ever to meet them.

And that anger is all before the blatant hypocrisy is considered. This little slimeball ought to think himself lucky to be cleaning toilets after this. (But, instead, the rest of the reprobate media like "Deadspin" are trying to cover for their despicable cronies at the Des Moines Register.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: SCUM SUCKING, BOTTOM FEEDING, WEASEL BASTARDS
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
There are a lot of pissed off people in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Cancel Culture Backfire
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »
Lots of pissed off people in Iowa. Matter of hours Iowegians were posting pics of the reporters tweets and "racial" advertising from AB. Iowa nice anger beat the outsiders.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
Dupe topics merged. Mak-  I didn't steal your subject line, I just did it by timestamp. I agree with what you said about them. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
Dupe topics merged. Mak-  I didn't steal your subject line, I just did it by timestamp. I agree with what you said about them. :)

Yeah, I saw we were posting the same thing at about the same time. You beat me by a few minutes.  :laugh: Stinking retired people.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
Yeah, I saw we were posting the same thing at about the same time. You beat me by a few minutes.  :laugh: Stinking retired people.

=D

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:26:41 AM »
Is this sort of how McCarthyism was like?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
Anheuser-Busch is getting an earful. They're trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to spin it in a positive light. People ain't happy.
https://www.facebook.com/AnheuserBusch/posts/2662203367164981

The Des Moines Register FB page is starting to smoke.
https://www.facebook.com/DesMoinesRegister/photos/a.413100554578/10157688984304579/?type=3

Aaron Calvin, the reporter who wrote the story, is getting a bit of his own medicine. Several mentions that a bunch of his own social media history has gone noticeably missing or is now set to "private", presumably in an attempt to sanitize it lest it be used against him. He started too late.
https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/25/iowa-reporters-own-offensive-tweets-surface-after-he-delves-deep-into-viral-stars-background/
https://globintel.com/usa/des-moines-register-reporter-aaron-calvin-bio-wiki-age-racist-tweets/

Interesting aside is that his FB page pic was updated yesterday. Now it shows a photo of a woman and infant. I'll give him benefit of doubt and say wife and child, no doubt to try and generate some good "feelz" to offset the wave of unbridled ire being focused on him.
https://www.facebook.com/apcalvin/timeline?lst=535346356%3A520720003%3A1569511594

Brad
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:01:18 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
I like the Register's "explanation" letter. Tough decision, but we decided we should include it. "But hey - we just put it at the end of the story!" You know, so it will be the last thing people read about the guy, forgetting everything above it. From the comments, it sounds like every single Iowa resident is ready to tar and feather the newspaper staff.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
Nice to see the push back.  I hope it makes a lasting impact.

I think a few of the lessons are:
1.  Journalists (and their editors who likely told them to do it) are generally scumbags and everyone should be careful taking what they say for truth.
2.  Big Corps shouldn't run from people or charities like this so quickly.  
3.  Never freaking apologize.  Too many of the idiots who agree with the scumbags from #1 see that as admission of guilt.  In this case, he grew up and what he said probably wasn't that bad anyway.

Edited to mention editors.  I doubt the journalist did that research of their own initiative. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:27:52 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
I like the Register's "explanation" letter. Tough decision, but we decided we should include it. "But hey - we just put it at the end of the story!" You know, so it will be the last thing people read about the guy, forgetting everything above it. From the comments, it sounds like every single Iowa resident is ready to tar and feather the newspaper staff.

I love what's happening on the Anheuser-Busch page.

Every other post is someone deriding them for pulling donations from children with cancer. (Because in a confusing story, that's what people get from "Busch cuts ties with man raising money for children's hospital")

So the social media people for Busch keep saying, OVER and OVER, "no! We're still honoring the pledge money!"

Of course, the broader picture is that you cut ties with him over the merchandise with his likeness which was going to also raise money for the children with cancer.

So the impression these people have is correct, even if Busch is still paying the matching funds. But because ABInbev (The conglomerate's name) so horribly mishandled this, people think they pulled ALL the money from the children's cancer hospital.

I love a story where the bad guys get what's coming to them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

I think a few of the lessons are:
1.  Journalists are generally scumbags and everyone should be careful taking what they say for truth.
2.  Big Corps shouldn't run from people or charities like this so quickly.  
3.  Never freaking apologize.  Too many of the idiots who agree with the scumbags from #1 see that as admission of guilt.  In this case, he grew up and what he said probably wasn't that bad anyway.

And, number four:

4. NEVER talk to the media, because they will always take something you said out of context and use it against you.

As for rule number one, a guy I used to work for (who, ironically, was later indicted for federal contract fraud) used to say, "Everything you see in the media is true ... unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
The State of Iowa's giant middle finger to Anheuser-Busch and the Des Moines Register.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/carson-king-day-iowa-beer-fan

ABInBev would be wise to jump on board in in the most public possible way. That, along with publicly firing the brain-dead cretin who decided to go their current route, might suitably smooth most feathers.

The Des Moines Register? They've already dug their grave. It's just a matter of what will be etched on the headstone.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
To add to my #2 above, the various big corporations should have learned by now that trying to appease the Outrage/Cancel Culture is a losing proposition.  They won't respect you and will turn on you also as soon as they have an excuse.  In this case, it seems to me they could have looked a little closer at this story and realized it was over old tweets and ignored it.  We can jump on the journalist to dig this stuff up, but it is the idiots who follow along and react to it that are almost worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »

I had never heard of that Meme until this episode of the Woke Olympics. I still don't know the exact story, and I don't want to.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
I, on the other hand,  have absolutly no idea what a duck with a milkshake is supposed to mean. 

But the cherry is a nice touch..... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
I, on the other hand,  have absolutly no idea what a duck with a milkshake is supposed to mean.  

But the cherry is a nice touch..... [tinfoil]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkshake_Duck

You may choose to read it all or not.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkshake_Duck

You may choose to read it all or not.

I strongly suspect whoever came up with it was a real quack. [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
Is this sort of how McCarthyism was like?

No, because McCarthy was right.

This is more like early 1930's Germany or Austria.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »
No, because McCarthy was right.

This is more like early 1930's Germany or Austria.
Bingo.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
Bingo.

With the left's penchant for brainwashing children into doing their bidding, I'd describe it more as 1960s China.

Brad Johnson

• friend
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
I strongly suspect whoever came up with it was a real quack. [tinfoil] [popcorn]

I had guessed that it was a shouted warning that an Antifa fool had tossed one of those concrete beverages.  "Milkshake!!  Duck!!"
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.