Author Topic: Why kids break into cars  (Read 199 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Why kids break into cars
« on: April 22, 2024, 09:30:33 AM »
Our court just did an interview/survey of all kids charged with breaking into vehicles, in an effort to try and learn the motivation for the crimes.  No, it won't be published anywhere, at least at this point.  Some interesting points for you all:

- Kia and Hyundai break ins by far and away are by kids who have seen or heard about the videos online showing how to break in and steal the cars.  Dumb kids will break in now even if the car has a steering wheel lock.

- if it's a car with a trunk, and they see either a dash button for the trunk release, or a latch to lower the back seat, they will break a window just to access the trunk looking for valuables to steal.  Any bag or package in the trunk is fair game.

- Pick up trucks and large SUVs are targeted looking for firearms.  Word on the street is 4 wheel drive = gun in the vehicle.  Also, beat up trucks mean gun in vehicle.  Oh, and these days the thugs are stealing ammo they might find.  Use, sell, or trade for the right caliber.  Glock mags sell for more than we pay for them, especially the giggle sticks.

- Many of the thugs are now carrying bolt cutters in case they find one of the lock boxes with the cable to secure it.  Cut the cable and take off with the box.

-Window stickers are like a preview guide.  Conservative and military stickers means guns or weapons in the car.  Liberal stickers mean electronics or dope.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Why kids break into cars
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 09:37:15 AM »
If they get into my car's trunk they'll see left over range targets with ragged holes and a bag of recycling that hasn't made it to the recycling drop off yet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 09:39:39 AM »
So #1 is that no one ever taught them to respect other people's belongings and not to steal.  That and they don't seem to fear the consequences.

I had a console vault in a previous truck.  I imagine a good crowbar could open it if someone was determined to get in.  It wouldn't be easy.  The screws holding it together were not huge.

It is interesting that you don't mention breaking into vehicles if they see something, but just breaking in because they can.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 09:49:20 AM »
. . . That and they don't seem to fear the consequences . . .
This is the most important and IMHO telling portion of your post. Not only will the law not punish them in any meaningful way, the law will PROTECT them from any negative response by their intended victims. In many jurisdictions, the legal system (including LEOs) has allied itself with the thugs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 09:51:03 AM »
I long for the days when horsewhipping was a viable option.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 09:52:15 AM »
This is the most important and IMHO telling portion of your post. Not only will the law not punish them in any meaningful way, the law will PROTECT them from any negative response by their intended victims. In many jurisdictions, the legal system (including LEOs) has allied itself with the thugs.

As I continue to randomly watch these youtube police bodycam videos, I also continue to be astounded that at the end where they list a bunch of felonies, all the charges are dropped except for maybe a misdemeanor, or they get a zero dollars bond, or diversion, or any number of things that teach them that crime - even violent crime - pays.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 12:29:09 PM »
We will end up like a lot of other countries.  Go to a carribean resort and many will tell you leave the rental unlocked, windows down with nothing in it. I have an ironclad anti theft system.  My car looks like merely breaking in could lower your credit score.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 01:00:54 PM »
"My car looks like merely breaking in could lower your credit score."

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 01:06:23 PM »
So how do we get these little brats to start respecting other people's property again?  Do we need to go have a long talk with their Fathers?

Oh.  Wait.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 02:35:02 PM »
So how do we get these little brats to start respecting other people's property again? 

Public caning.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 02:59:59 PM »
Public caning.
Bastinado version.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 03:45:15 PM »
As I continue to randomly watch these youtube police bodycam videos, I also continue to be astounded that at the end where they list a bunch of felonies, all the charges are dropped except for maybe a misdemeanor, or they get a zero dollars bond, or diversion, or any number of things that teach them that crime - even violent crime - pays.
From the little I have heard, light sentences are happening in red areas as well...though cops probably respond and thieves are often given some punishment (even if a light sentence). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 05:12:37 PM »
So how do we get these little brats to start respecting other people's property again?  Do we need to go have a long talk with their Fathers?

Oh.  Wait.

Get your "Are You My Daddy?" DNA bingo cards out.
And what makes that even sadder is guess what their daddy is out doing? If he's out.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 05:19:01 PM »
From the little I have heard, light sentences are happening in red areas as well...though cops probably respond and thieves are often given some punishment (even if a light sentence). 

No punishment in the red states as well. The judges throw it out or drop it down to nothing.

My wife who works for a local city has people coming in regularly to pay fines…on attempted murder. No jail time, no probation, just a fine.

Thieves aren’t prosecuted. The same *expletive deleted*it of steal a car, fill it full of stolen goods, wreck it while running from the cops and disappear is just as common. The only one who faces consequences is the owner. We are facing the EXACT SAME situation as the blue states with the only difference being able to actually defend our persons

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 07:55:43 PM »
Sorry, first chance to post again.

On the "see something inside", I was surprised by that too.  Turns out that walking up to cars and looking inside gets attention from people, especially at night is using a flashlight.  Instead, they walk up to a car, quick peak for the latch on the rear seat, and take a hammer to the rear window.

As to punishments, too many factors to list.  But, right now, property crimes are taking a back seat to violent crimes.  Legislature are making thefts lower level offenses and mandating non-incarceration sanctions to save space for violent offenders.   Here in juvi where I work, the state has tied our budget to incarceration of non-violent offenders.  The more thieves we lock up, the more they cut from our budget.  Oh, and the red state government here in Ohio,?  They have slashed the juvi prison system from 8 facilities when I started prosecuting in 1994 to 3 now.

Yeah, there are some bad judges.  But there are a lot more bad Legislatures and state governments than there are weak judges.  We just catch the blame.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 09:25:44 PM »
How about a shotgun of any size less than 10 gauge with the old stand-by of rock salt and bacon rind?  Not lethal but  burns like hell.  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 11:26:31 PM »
I will say I am full into observe and report mode. Not worth it unless someone is smashing into my occupied car or dwelling.  25 years ago living in beautiful downtown Newport News I had a different attitude.  Luckily all ended well with me confronting smashing and grab artists with a handy assault rifle.  So many things could go wrong over someone else's junk.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:34:01 AM »
They run Really Well when they see a laser dot dancing around.

I see a lot of youts every day wearing hoodies or down jackets (75+ degree weather in our afternoons), hoods up, with masks and sunglasses.

I make sure they know I notice them.
Blog under construction