Author Topic: Trump's Ukraine call transcript  (Read 2133 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Trump's Ukraine call transcript
« on: October 06, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-ukraine-call-transcript-read-the-document

This has a copy of the Ukraine phone call transcript.  I thought I would dig it up and post it.  I had heard people talk about it and what it said.  I afraid I don't see anything particularly bad here.  Maybe I skimmed over some critical part, but it seems it could be summed up by "Hey, we are looking into some stuff that involved your country, I am going to have my people call your people.

What do get out of reading this? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
Re: Trump's Ukraine call transcript
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:54:41 PM »
If you follow the train of thought by the MSM flunkies and the corrupt, brain damaged D's, if Hunter Biden had raped and murdered a Ukrainian trollop and Uncle Joe pulled some strings to get the rape and murder charges dropped, the MSM and D's would still be screeching because Uncle Joe is a candidate for president so investigating him is treason.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Hey, get with the program MechAg.  Orange man bad.  Everything he says or does is grounds for impeachment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
Hey, get with the program MechAg.  Orange man bad.  Everything he says or does is grounds for impeachment.

And everything he doesn't say or doesn't do is also grounds for impeachment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
Rich Lowry had a pretty accurate read on the situation before the transcript even came out:

He was never a fascist. He was never a Russian spy. He never colluded with Russia. No, the source of much of Trump’s poor behavior in office is something much less complicated and lurid: He has been unable or unwilling to separate himself and his interests from the conduct of his presidency. At bottom, that’s what the Ukraine controversy is about: He didn’t stop and think, I’m president of the United States and much though I’d like to see Hunter Biden nailed to the wall, I’m not going to pursue this with the president of Ukraine. This is the really telling critique of Trump, yet his opponents have often been too eager to chase after wild theories and charges to make it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
Yet another Tempest in a Teapot. When some of the corrupt FBI, CIA, Obama admin officials are rotting in jail for the FISA abuses and the Meuller/Weissman farce. Then we can talk about this as far as I’m concerned. Really it’s about time a Republican administration actually fights back instead or rolling over for the media/Dems.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
The over-arching critique of Trump (from left and Never Trump right) is that he doesn't act how they believe a president should act. But he's not doing anything wrong, per the laws.

Well, get over it. Our previous President didn't act how I believe a president should act either. (Even though I'm pretty sure he did break laws, or at least his underlings did and they just swept that under the rug.)

I could not vote for Trump (but will crawl over broken glass to vote for him in 2020) because I didn't care for his temperament and didn't think I could trust him.

As President, he has shown himself to be far more trustworthy than any president in memory. (Note: I can't really remember the Reagan years all that well.)

Additionally, I've grown to appreciate his temperament. Our president ISN'T supposed to be some office granted great reverence- he's a citizen just like everyone else. As such, people need to be reminded of that every now and then with a more brash personality in the White House. (Johnson, Truman, Jackson.... just as examples.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
Rich Lowry had a pretty accurate read on the situation before the transcript even came out:

So all one has to do to avoid federal investigation is run for President.  I can't agree with that.  What Biden and his son did is dirty and should have been investigated previously.  The media should have been all over it, but party politics prevailed. 

Trump doesn't act like people expect a President to act, but what they expect is someone who will give deference to the media and kiss their butts for good coverage.  Many conservatives have wanted someone who will aggressively fight back against the left for a long time.  Well, fighting back can be nasty business.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
I also noticed a 2nd whistleblower has thrown their hat in the ring (who is represented by the same lawyer with Democrat ties).  I fully expect a 3rd whistleblower at some point.  Just like the Kavanaugh hearings, there is no evidence of wrong doing, but they hope the number and volume of accusers will making people believe it anyway.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
As President, he has shown himself to be far more trustworthy than any president in memory.
Care to expound?

Trustworthy is not one of the common adjectives I see used to describe Trump.
He's a fighter, or a great deal maker, or a stable genius, 4d chess player, a master troll, tells it like it is, or many other things.
Some of those I don't particularly value, some I don't take issue with.

Maybe you're just setting an incredibly low bar with the comparison to previous presidents. However I rarely see him described as trustworthy - honest, reliable, dependable, loyal, etc.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
So all one has to do to avoid federal investigation is run for President.  I can't agree with that.

If you want to argue against a strawman, knock yourself out.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »
Care to expound?

He's a fighter, or a great deal maker, or a stable genius, 4d chess player, a master troll, tells it like it is, or many other things.

Maybe you're just setting an incredibly low bar with the comparison to previous presidents. However I rarely see him described as trustworthy - honest, reliable, dependable, loyal, etc.

It's simple. What Trump said he would do*, he has done or tried to do while fighting both the Democrats and the establishment Republicans.

He said he'd go after the unfair trade deals the US has been a part of. (Whether you think they were unfair or not, that's what he promised.) He has. He renegotiated NAFTA and has been putting China over a barrel for their years of underhanded tactics.

He said he'd repeal Obamacare. He's done everything possible, against members of his own party, even, to do that. Your avatar ensured he put a knife in that as his last act of a spiteful, dying man.

He said he'd build the wall. He's done everything possible to fulfill that one, as well, fighting against his own party, often to do it.

He said he'd appoint strict constitutionalists to the bench. He and Sen. McConnell have been absolutely awesome on that.

He promised he'd put an end to the previous administration's targeting of religious dissenters. He promised he'd bring back jobs. He promised he'd get us to 3% growth. ("Where's his magic wand?" cried Obama.)

I'm not sure what he said about foreign wars, but he's at least avoided getting us involved in any new ones, so that's a plus whether it was a promise or not.

Honestly, I expected him to knife conservatives in the back and govern as a liberal. Instead, he's been amazingly consistent with what he promised.*

*what he said he would do, once normal people who understand braggadocio and puffery have made the necessary discounts to the promises. For example: "HE SAID HE'D MAKE MEXICO PAY FOR THE WALL!!!" No one who heard that boast thought it was a serious one and no one who actually wants the wall cares that he make Mexico pay for it. It was simply bluster for effect.

Normal people who hear such bluster already know how to deal with it and easily take it into account when hearing such a person. Sometimes you hate the braggart and sometimes you like him, but people deal with braggarts all the time. What they find much more offensive is someone who lies to your face and then claims he was technically correct because he was meaning "Y" while implying "X" and, well, it's your fault you didn't pick apart his weaselly wording to pin him down on what he was actually saying while purposely implying something different to mislead you.

THAT is why people don't have a problem with Trump's "lies", because the weaselly lawyers in DC think he's just blatantly lying, the rest of the country finds him a breath of fresh air compared to the above that politicians do.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
If you want to argue against a strawman, knock yourself out.

Not a straw man, it's an accurate description of the lefts position regarding their candidates.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »
Care to expound?

He's not a Bush, and He's not a Clinton, nor a tin-pot dictator wannabe like obama. It is an incredibly low bar, as you stated.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »
. . . What Biden and his son did is dirty and should have been investigated previously . . .
Starting with the question, "Did they violate any portion of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act?"

I worked for a large, highly diversified multinational tech company for quite a long time, and we got annual "training" about this. (If you've never heard of this legislation, you'd be surprised at what it covers. And the penalties can be quite severe.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
 And the penalties can be quite severe

Unless you are a well connected Democrat.....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 04:10:04 PM »
He's not a Bush, and He's not a Clinton, nor a tin-pot dictator wannabe like obama. It is an incredibly low bar, as you stated.

Trump has a big mouth, talks a lot of crap, and exaggerates.  If you get past that, I agree with makattack.  He has largely done what he said he would do and "put America first" in his foreign policy deals.  I think he has done more deregulation than we have seen in quite some time.  I think a lot of people are put off so much by the trash talk, they can't focus on the results. 

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
Trump has a big mouth, talks a lot of crap, and exaggerates.  If you get past that, I agree with makattack.  He has largely done what he said he would do and "put America first" in his foreign policy deals.  I think he has done more deregulation than we have seen in quite some time.  I think a lot of people are put off so much by the trash talk, they can't focus on the results. 

True, but I think a lot of people also look past his braggart style and see he has done more limited government republican type stuff than any republican in a long time. Maybe even including Reagan, but well before him. I have disagreements with him and did with Reagan too. He is absolutely without a doubt better than either Bush and Clinton or Obama. He would certainly be better than any of the Dems running at this time for the next 4 years.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »
True, but I think a lot of people also look past his braggart style and see he has done more limited government republican type stuff than any republican in a long time. Maybe even including Reagan, but well before him. I have disagreements with him and did with Reagan too. He is absolutely without a doubt better than either Bush and Clinton or Obama. He would certainly be better than any of the Dems running at this time for the next 4 years.

At this point, all the other crap and his big mouth aside, what Trump has done - pretty much under the radar - regarding federal judges, gets him my vote in 2020.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
At this point, all the other crap and his big mouth aside, what Trump has done - pretty much under the radar - regarding federal judges, gets him my vote in 2020.

Yes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 01:18:46 AM »

Concur.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.