Author Topic: Zumbo is out  (Read 4966 times)

caseydog

• friend
Zumbo is out
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/columnists/article/0,19912,1592623,00.html

Outdoor Life And Jim Zumbo Part Ways
By Todd. W. Smith
Editor-in-Chief

Outdoor Life magazine Editor-in-Chief Todd Smith released the following statement today regarding writer Jim Zumbo:

February 2007

In light of comments made by Jim Zumbo in his February 16, 2007 blog posting on the magazines website, Mr. Zumbo has offered to terminate his association with Outdoor Life, and the magazine has accepted his offer. Accordingly, he will no longer be contributing to the magazine in print or online. His final column with Outdoor Life will appear in the April 2007 issue, which has already gone to press.

We respect Mr. Zumbo's First Amendment right to free speech, and we acknowledge his subsequent apology and admission of error. However, Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of all aspects of the shooting sports and our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the appearance of the firearms we choose to own, shoot or hunt with.

We regret this turn of events, as Mr. Zumbo has been a good friend to this magazine and lifelong advocate for hunters and hunting rights.

We appreciate the comments we've received from our loyal readers about this matter and encourage them to continue to correspond with us. Please direct any additional comments to OLletters@time4.com.
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Zumbo is out
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
Let's see, the magazine dropped him, Remington kicked him out entirely and terminated all association, which means the Outdoor Channel show is gone, too, since it was sponsored by Remington.

I guess he can always go work for Sarah Brady, now. Stupid Fudd... sure gave them some quotes to use on their AWB II efforts!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
The speed with which he lost everything (professionally) is just breath-taking.  I hope he's got something else he can write about. 

His comments on Ted Nugent's website were just comical and sad.  He's not going to recover from this, unless he gets someone to manage him and tell him what to say.  Someone other than Sarah Brady, of course.  Then he'd have to somehow make himself useful in the RKBA fight. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
The speed with which he lost everything (professionally) is just breath-taking.  I hope he's got something else he can write about. 

I am reminded of Warren Buffet's dictum that you spend a lifetime building a reputation and can lose it in 5 minutes.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
instant karma!

his reckless online musings showed that he was never for RKBA, he was only for people like him...
rich,elite,liberal authoritarians.

he can go work for that fake hunting org whose name I wont mention because they are a fake front  of the brady campaign.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
I've not been really following all of this for some obvious reasons, but I did see Zumbo's first postings, and I'm very glad to hear that Zumbo's comments have come back on him.

I met him once a number of years ago when I was with NRA and was not at all impressed with some of the comments he made at that time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
AMF...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:49 PM »
Buh-bye, Elmer, don't let the door hit you on your Quisling backside.  Go beg DiFi and Chuckie Schumer permission to have your double shotgun.

Bloody Vichy gunowners!  The thousands of dollars that I pay each year for P-R dollars and never see a dime of benefit and then I have Vichies like Zumbo undercut my RKBA.  Don't the Flabby Flannels realize that guys like me are paying their freight?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »
Bloody Vichy gunowners!  The thousands of dollars that I pay each year for P-R dollars and never see a dime of benefit and then I have Vichies like Zumbo undercut my RKBA.  Don't the Flabby Flannels realize that guys like me are paying their freight?

Ya got it all wrong, ET.  They despise you for protecting them.  They honestly believe that hunting/clayshooting/collecting/whatever is the sole purpose of owning guns.  They do not care about you, and wouldn't lift a finger to protect your rights.  They have no problem looking down upon you, and aiding folks in taking away whatever they don't practice.  "Doesn't affect me, so screw you" is basically their mentality.

While the RKBA crowd might be blasted by the Brady Bunch for pilloring a gentleman who served them so well, in the long term it'll help.  Professional "me firsters" will keep their yap shut and the amount of fraticide within the RKBA crowd will die down.  Thing about these types of folks is their narrow mindedness and self-centeredness.  They don't care about other people, and won't believe the consequences will be worth railing against evil black rifles.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »
Rev, could not agree more.

Have you read Unintended Consequences?  If you have, do you remember the scene where Ray Johnson is buying the .600 double after receiving the money from his uncle as a law school graduation gift?

While this latest Vichy episode was ongoing, I could not help thinking back to that scene and how Ray told him where to go. cool
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »
Rev, could not agree more.

Have you read Unintended Consequences?  If you have, do you remember the scene where Ray Johnson is buying the .600 double after receiving the money from his uncle as a law school graduation gift?

While this latest Vichy episode was ongoing, I could not help thinking back to that scene and how Ray told him where to go. cool

Yea, I did, and I do remember that scene.  Not that I'm a fan of doubles nor African hunting, I understand the concept of loving some activity that others just don't get.  Like belt fed automatic grenade launchers or studying rock gardens.   Everyone should have something irrational in their life that they truly love.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »
It gets better.  Jim Zumbo has a twin brother, named David E. Petzal:

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_davi.html#comment-61252814
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »
It gets better.  Jim Zumbo has a twin brother, named David E. Petzal:

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_davi.html#comment-61252814

Turn her about and reload the tubes. We've got another Fudd off the port bow.

I also notice some comments there from fellow fudds, wondering why someone would want to use an assault weapon to take a deer with a "long burst".  rolleyes

Best reply there:

Aren't you the same Dave Petzal who supported the "assault weapon" ban back about 12-14 years ago? Seems to me you have no call to be defending Zumbo against the wrath of those he betrayed by giving Sarah Brady something to work with. Nor do I believe that his comments--or yours the last time--were in any way inadvertent. I think both of you knew exactly what you were doing...and so does eveyone else.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »
It really baffles me that some of these people in Petzle's blog are bitching about "military weapons."

I wonder if they really ever stopped to consider the bolt action rifles that I guess most of them hunt with...

Virtually every bolt rifle produced today owes a huge debt to the designs that originated in Germany at the Mauser works, designs that were developed, and marketed as, military rifles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:07 AM »
Including my Arisaka,,,geez that's a good rifle!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 03:45:59 AM »
Here's the reply I posted in Petzel's blog:

"A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place."  - David Petzel

Sir, people are perfectly free to voice unpopular opinions - nobody arrested the Dixie Chicks after they mouthed off in Europe, Zumbo isn't being hauled off to jail - but there is NOTHING in this country's history that implies you're entitled to an audience or a forum from which to spout off when you do so.

Words mean things, and when you're a prominent personality within a community, you have to be extra careful to write exactly what you mean.

Zumbo clearly did that when he went far, FAR beyond expressing a preference for traditional sporting arms (which is perfectly acceptable) and chose to label the AR15 a "terrorist rifle" . . .  by doing so, he was spouting hate speech directed at a large segment of the sporting community.

His so-called "apology" (which appeared only after the firestorm of criticism was well underway) fairly reeked of insincerity and "damage control."

Pro-RKBA individuals understand - as Zumbo clearly does not - that the anti-gunners will not abandon their anti-gun crusade if we let them ban AR15s and such - it will only embolden them to go after more.

Zumbo's column has given fodder to the anti's . . . who have ratcheted up their rhetoric, and are now, once again, calling for bans on "sniper rifles" such as Zumbo's beloved 'scope sighted bolt actions and even the traditional .30/30, because it will penetrate cop's body armor.

Now some of Zumbo's apologists want the shooting community to stop picking on Zumbo . . . that's like asking a battered wife to climb back into bed with the bum who punched her out.

Not likely.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 04:05:55 AM »
Hank, nice reply.  I think Petzal is right about one thing.  I can understand the anger at Zumbo, as it is justified, but I do have a hard time understanding some of the people that are calling for his death, saying he is "too stupid to live," and wishing all sorts of painful and debilitating conditions upon him.  I have seen Zumbo's comments repeated on the Brady sites and various lefty sites.  I have also seen some of the more venomous comments in response to Zumbo quoted. 

I have been reading Petzal on and off for the past 10 years and while most of his stuff is on hunting, he also was critical of the BATF, gov't, and police in regards to gun control.  It may be that he changed his mind in regards to the AWB, but he should explain himself quickly.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 05:02:57 AM »
So, there are some mouthbreathers on the internet who went over the top.  Who'd a thunk it?  I suppose Mr. Petzal thinks he is saying something interesting or profound about how we shouldn't burn down the man's house and shave off his moustache with a rusty piece of tin can.  Yawn.  The Gunnies Gone Wild isn't the story here.  Over-heated net-rhetoric happens every day.  The only interesting story here is what a professional hunting writer said and how gun owners used legal, market-oriented means to make him pay for it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 06:42:01 AM »
I do have a hard time understanding some of the people that are calling for his death, saying he is "too stupid to live," and wishing all sorts of painful and debilitating conditions upon him. 
Steve, I agree with that, as responding to Zumbo's hate speech with terroristic threats of our own would be counter productive.

But I wonder - the blogs are open to everyone, and what's posted, is posted pretty much anonymously . . . what's to prevent a bradybunch activist from posing as one of "us" and deliberately posting something inflammatory?

After all, some of the "antis" tried to get a campaign going a few years back - "Stop Hunting - Shoot A Sign" in which they advocated shooting up roadsigns in rural areas to give hunters a bad reputation . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 09:11:59 AM »
Hank, I am sure that there are some fake posts just to stir the pot.  I am just wondering what happens next.  As I said before, most hunters I know doen't share Zumbo's view, but there are fence-sitters out there.  There are people that are starting to get into guns for whatever reason.  It is easy to ignore them, but they are influenced by what is said by all of us.  They vote.  They write letters to their elected officials.  THR and, to a lesser extent, TFL are full of justified anger towards Zumbo and like-minded people.  I guess I am somewhat dismayed at the attacks on ALL hunters, especially since most hunters know what the 2nd Amendment is about and most do not agree with Zumbo.

Yes, I know the internet is full of load mouths and I am thick-skinned enough to handle this.  Nor am I calling for any censorship or restraint, I am saying that hunters can be a powerful friend.  Why do you think they are courted by politicians and anti's?  It isn't because they support hunting, it is because there a re millions of them, they are vocal, and they spend lots of money. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
I see David "Fudd" Petzal has responded to his naysayers with a second installment.  He still doesn't get it

Now, to re-educate, or amputate - which is the lesser liability in the long term? 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 08:43:49 AM »
Watched and episode of The Colbert Report last night.  Don't know how old it was but he discussed this issue and mentioned how stupid Zumbo had been to do what he did.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!