Author Topic: A new angle...  (Read 870 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
A new angle...
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »
My son is taking a Political Science class, and had to watch the debates last night.  I was reading in the same room, and when gun control came up, I stopped to pay attention.  After Beto talked himself into...nowhere...when pushed on how he would take away the ARs without actually sending anyone to take them (he said "I trust that the American people would follow the law and turn them in"  That worked really well in the war on drugs, now didn't it? Made me laugh, as well as the ones who talked about voluntary buy backs.) Pete Buttigieg called him out, and brought up that "assault rifles" account for a small percentage of firearms deaths in America...and that handguns are responsible for the majority of firearms deaths.  He went on about how the vast majority of firearms deaths are suicides, and how this constitutes a major health crisis in America.  He wants to limit people's access to handguns and other firearms if they are at high risk of suicide...

What the Hell does that mean?  Does that mean that if someone does an actuarial analysis of career fields, and the risk of suicide is high in your career field, you can't possess a firearm?  Of, are we going to open up the "Red Flag" laws so anyone can report anyone else as being a suicide risk?  Make a joke at a party about blowing your brains out, get served with red flag paperwork a few days later?

They ain't just going for another AWB.  How sure are we that Trump will be re-elected, and who is in the bullpen to follow him?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

griz

• friend
Re: A new angle...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
That's part of the plan:  Guns are not banned, but dangerous people are banned from owning them.  The catch is the government gets to decide, by reason, bias or whim, to decide who is dangerous.  Think of the no fly list as applied to a constitutional right. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
What the Hell does that mean?  Does that mean that if someone does an actuarial analysis of career fields, and the risk of suicide is high in your career field, you can't possess a firearm?  Of, are we going to open up the "Red Flag" laws so anyone can report anyone else as being a suicide risk?  Make a joke at a party about blowing your brains out, get served with red flag paperwork a few days later?

They ain't just going for another AWB.  How sure are we that Trump will be re-elected, and who is in the bullpen to follow him?

If I recall correctly police officers and military have an elevated rate of suicide...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
Would they still be allowed to own a car or drive?  I have heard of people trying to commit suicide by getting in a car accident. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
Would they still be allowed to own a car or drive?  I have heard of people trying to commit suicide by getting in a car accident. 

OK, now we're up to 2 methods of suicide. Hopefully, those are the only ones that exist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Once a state makes it a pain to buy a gun, not many people buy them.

Then the state can turn the screws on the few gun owners that remain, because their votes don't count for much.

Eventually, you get a place like the UK where people literally panic when they see a bullet.