Author Topic: Preferred Pronoun Day  (Read 2651 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Preferred Pronoun Day
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
Apparently they have a day for this crap now. It was still new enough (or at least confined to the likes of Berkeley) that I never ran into it before I left CA. If I did, I'm not sure what my reaction would be. Likely something between shaking my head or laughing, but I can tell you right now, whatever my reaction, if someone tries to shove this crap in my face ever, I will not comply. Shove it up whatever your preferred wording for your ass is, Xer.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/10/16/xyr-pizza-is-incredible-planned-parenthood-posts-a-tutorial-on-proper-pronoun-use-for-pronounsday/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Preferred Pronoun Day
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
So if you are trapped in an area where people expect you to observe this crap, I guess "Keep to Yourself Day". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Another mine field they expect us to walk through
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »
Henceforth, I would like to be addressed as Skippy the Wonder Dog.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
If you have a trans/non-gender-specific fetus, wouldn it be a hate crime to about xhe/xher?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
Mister Metokur dropped this just in time for pronoun day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obauxqrridQ

It's Transtastic!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »
My preference is that you learn which pronouns to apply to each of the two genders. You're supposed to know these things, so people don't have to tell you, retard.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »
The royal ze are not amused!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 01:46:45 AM »
The royal ze are not amused!

The plural of "royal" is "royals."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 02:31:04 AM »
My pronouns are: Carbon Based Life-form, Vertebrate, Mammalian.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
My pronouns are: Carbon Based Life-form, Vertebrate, Mammalian.

Are the last two really applicable in these types of situations?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
As I heard earlier.  My pronoun is Lord Emperor Palpatine.  I demand you use that form of address at all times.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
Hmm. Preferred pronoun would be "Sir!", spoken smartly and at attention.  Or with kowtowing.

xhe/xher?

Xit?   (Pronounced "zit".)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
I'll respond to a simple "Your Excellency" or "Your Royal Highness."

(I'd go for "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor HankB, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" but aside from being a bit wordy, it ultimately didn't work out too well for the last guy who used it.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JN01

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »
"Hey you!" is less complicated.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
Are the last two really applicable in these types of situations?

Well, I HAVE a backbone, am still pretty hairy in my old age, and not a fungus/slime... :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »
I will adhere to proper grammar to the end of my days.

English has male and female pronouns, he and she.

It has a nongendered pronoun, it.

Anyone that does not identify as he or she, is an it.

People that insist on using "they" for a singular nongendered pronoun are idiots.  They is a plural pronoun for multiple objects.

All the other xe/xir/ze/etc nonsense is just that:  nonsense.

I will add to all of that... language is a tool for two humans to communicate.  Typcally when a 3rd party pronoun is used (such as he, she, it, or the made up xe class of stuff) it is used to communicate from party 1 to party 2, about party 3.  Party 3 is not present in the communication process to receive the information.  Xe is neither a 1st person nor 2nd person pronoun (not I or you).  So when party 1 tells party 2 about a person doing a thing, his intention is to communicate.  Not to placate party 3's feelz.  If I, as party 1, see that party 3 is roughly male, I will tell party 2 about  what he is doing.  Party 2 will also perceive the general masculinity of the 3rd party object.  Or, if party 2 appears roughly feminine to me, I will tell party 2 about what she is doing.

But... xe and similar pronouns are not visually apparent to parties 1 and 2 about that 3rd party.  Using such a word just invites confusion when trying to communicate.

English has no gender for 1st and 2nd person pronouns.

This whole thing is absolute garbage.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »
AZRedhawk deserves a standing ovation for the above.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »
@AZRedhawk44, may I quote you and if so, how do you want to be cited? "This 'It' I know?" or "A forum friend" or...

I will adhere to proper grammar to the end of my days.

English has male and female pronouns, he and she.

It has a nongendered pronoun, it.

Anyone that does not identify as he or she, is an it.

People that insist on using "they" for a singular nongendered pronoun are idiots.  They is a plural pronoun for multiple objects.

All the other xe/xir/ze/etc nonsense is just that:  nonsense.

I will add to all of that... language is a tool for two humans to communicate.  Typcally when a 3rd party pronoun is used (such as he, she, it, or the made up xe class of stuff) it is used to communicate from party 1 to party 2, about party 3.  Party 3 is not present in the communication process to receive the information.  Xe is neither a 1st person nor 2nd person pronoun (not I or you).  So when party 1 tells party 2 about a person doing a thing, his intention is to communicate.  Not to placate party 3's feelz.  If I, as party 1, see that party 3 is roughly male, I will tell party 2 about  what he is doing.  Party 2 will also perceive the general masculinity of the 3rd party object.  Or, if party 2 appears roughly feminine to me, I will tell party 2 about what she is doing.

But... xe and similar pronouns are not visually apparent to parties 1 and 2 about that 3rd party.  Using such a word just invites confusion when trying to communicate.

English has no gender for 1st and 2nd person pronouns.

This whole thing is absolute garbage.
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »
You know, incorrect as it is, I can live with "they". I find it an easy way to be left alone by old school SJWs. At the old job for instance, it was much easier to just say "they" rather than "he", then have some woman interrupt and snarkily say, "What if it's a woman?"

"They" could cover these 500 other so-called pronouns as well. I'm willing to concede one word to keep me from dealing with 500 other words that I will have to deal with whether I use them or not, because you know at some point the MSM is going to start using them, and we'll all have to stumble through articles trying to figure out who xer and xis are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
@AZRedhawk44, may I quote you and if so, how do you want to be cited? "This 'It' I know?" or "A forum friend" or...

Either AZRedhawk44, or KC Connor from Mesa, AZ (as of 2019), or Casey Galt Kawner on Fecesbook, though I change that from time to time.

I've been fishing my distinction regarding 3rd party perspective (and the pronouned object having no say in the stream of imparted knowledge), looking for anyone in the LGBTWXYZ movement with a background in language arts that can find a logical flaw in it.  It's been a couple years that I've been putting this out and I still have yet to get anyone to bite on it for a fight.  I think it's a slam-dunk winner to the whole damn affair.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
AZRedhawk deserves a standing ovation for the above.

Yes. It's an excellent summation of the issue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 10:25:21 AM »
Thank you sir! "KC Connor from Mesa, AZ" it is!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »
"One" is a pretty useful 3rd-person pronoun that doesn't get enough respect.  It doesn't always fit, but when it does I like it better than the English default "he" (like in John 15:13) 
I grudgingly accept singular "they" in informal conversation (even use it sometimes), but it really bugs me to see it used in print.
"It's good, though..."