Author Topic: The secret origin of the Amazon Basics AA battery  (Read 2772 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: The secret origin of the Amazon Basics AA battery
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
I have had a lot of trouble with rayovacs leaking, so I gave up on them.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 02:47:31 PM »
I have had a lot of trouble with rayovacs leaking, so I gave up on them.

I don't recall a Ray-o-Vac leaking on me, but I've had a bunch of Duracells and Energizers gum up flashlights and other gear.  In my experience, alkaline cells are so cheaply made anymore that most will eventually leak and damage the equipment they are in.  I have had cells leak that were still producing usable voltage.  Ten or so years ago, I seldom had alkaline cells leak on me.  I wonder if the case material is made thinner these days to cut costs.
I expect I will have a Ray-o-Vac leak sooner or later.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
You can see the discharge curves of the different batteries at candlepowerforums. There is no significant difference between major brands, including rayovac and the better store brands. The main difference is price, shelf life, and tendency to leak. Like others, I have had a lot of alkaline batteries leaking on me, even found in-date brand name batteries leaking in the package. It's to the point I won't put alkaline batteries into something I like, not even remotes for my stereo equipment which could be hard to replace. I either use Eneloop or Energizer lithium AA which, as far as I know, can't leak like alkalines. The lithium AA are twice as expensive but last at least twice as long so it's worth it to not worry about ruining a device. By the way WHEN alkaline batteries leak it's potassium hydroxide mostly and straight vinegar cleans the mess up pretty well.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
By the way WHEN alkaline batteries leak it's potassium hydroxide mostly and straight vinegar cleans the mess up pretty well.

Thanks for the info, Zahc.  I'll keep that in mind the next time I have a leaker.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 07:42:28 AM »
Well, I got my D cells. They seem to power my flashlights just fine.

Only problem is, my one flashlight, my Grandfather's circa 1930 or so Eveready... isn't ready. For some reason I can't get it to light now. I put an LED bulb in it a few years ago, but haven't had a chance to test it to see if it might have gone bad or if it's a problem with the light itself.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.