Author Topic: A storm is brewing on the horizon............a snowstorm! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3852 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Looks us folks in Minnesota will finally get a winter storm worth talking about. It's going to snow all weekend giving us a foot or so. Maybe more. Nothing like those folks in upstate New York recently, but we haven't had a decent blizzard in years. Figure that one out. Haven't had much snow in recent years either.

The girlfriend and I have just finished all of our emergency prep. We're well stocked up on beer, wine, booze, and mixers. Went grocery shopping and got lots of emergency rations like shrimp, homemade pizza fixings, tex-mex fixings, blueberry muffins and croissants. Got some sushi to go for tonight, just in case. Might have to bake up some brownies as well for a chocolate emergency. Got an extra pack of smokes as well. The unviewed DVDs will get looked at, and lots of hockey on tv this weekend. Got The Weather Channel on the other tv.

The snowblowers are ready to go. We'll probably have a few beers with the neighbors in the alley during snow removal ala Hank Hill and his crew on King of the Hill. And of course, a run over to the tax guy in the snow with the 4x4 to pick up the completed taxes. We're already arguing about who gets to drive.

Eight PM, but no flakes yet. Let's see how much we'll get. My girl thinks this is way overhyped and we won't get much, but I told her you can never have too much shrimp in the freezer ready to go...

Standing Wolf

• friend
I spent eleven years in Minnesnowta. I noticed early on the main event every winterall winterwas the weather.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I just got home from running from Ames, IA to Waterloo, IA and back again. On the drive home got pelted with large sleet. Windy as hell. I'm not sure how much we are getting here but it was cool seeing the lightening in the sleet storm. I have only seen winter storm lightening only a couple time and it usually is only in April blizzards.

I told me wife as long as I got booze and cigarettes I can ride out the storm this weekend.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Your welcome to all the snow you can handle.  We STILL have mounds of the stuff melting off from the December blizzard here in Colorado.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
It just started hitting here in Wisconsin in the last hour or so.  I thought maybe I could shovel the front walkway and the driveway around my truck.  Yeah, right.   grin

So I put an old blanket on the windshield and over the cowl air intakes, and used the doors to tension the blanket. (an old trick I learned as a kid 30years ago) Tomorrow, or whenever the snow stops, all I have to do is open the doors and remove the blanket, hopefully with no packed snow in the cowl air intakes to prevent the heater from working well. 

I see the county has the plows running at regular intervals on the highway behind my house.  Winter may have gotten a late start up here, but it looks like the crews will get a full season's worth of work.

Yeah, from the looks of what's accumulating outside my office window, and the radar summary, we're gonna get a bunch of the white stuff, and it's at the end of February.  Wonder if the globular worming activists are paying attention? 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
My back is already aching from a very long location photo shoot. By Monday morning I expect to be on my back in bed, alternating ice packs and heating pads.

God, how I hate this state. The politics, the taxes, the weather, the constant road construction...

Why am I here?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Why am I here?

The cheese, man, the cheese!  grin (Ducking and hiding) 

I came back to my beloved Wisconsin after a 20+ year hiatus, spending time in Kalifornia, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Texas, Okinawa, Japan, Thailand, India, England, Germany, Venezuela, Australia, and Spain.

Despite the liberals in Madison and the deluge of snow, I'm happy to be home. I'm breathing real air, my AK and AR aren't threatened by the Kalifornia DOJ, and my new home won't be destroyed by two hurricanes in rapid succession.  Life is good.   

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Hey, I even got some snow in Southern California today.  I live at 3,800 feet, we got a light dusting this morning.  It was melted in an hour, and sunny by the time I got home from work.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Geweher98, it has nothing to do with cheese.

I'm surprised you left Texas.

I really hate this state. And I'm not alone.

Earlier last year, a state senator called me to talk about the CCW bill.

I told him that it was the goal for my wife and me to move down south. Tennesee,  Mississippi, somewhere like that.

He said, "Dick Baker! I can't believe that you'd consider leaving Wisconsin!"

"Why not?," I asked.

He said, "because my wife and I are thinking about leaving, too. We're sick of the taxes, the politics, the weather, and everything else about this damned state."

I shot back at him quickly. "Ok, Dave. One of the most senior members of the WI state legislature wants to move somewhere else. What message should that send to us peons?"

The answer was that maybe we could all live close to each other in AR, TN or another southern state.

God, I hate Wisconsin.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
I'm surprised you left Texas.

My thoughts exactly.  All this talk of a snow storm.. and I enjoyed the heck out of the 80 degree weather we had today..  Ahh Texas....

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
I'm weird.  Sue me.

I love the snow, and love having four distinct seasons each year. I hunt in November, ski, snowboard, and snowmobile in the winter, and wrassle in the white fluffy stuff with my big St. Bernard/Catahoula Leopard mix until he tires of it.  (He loves the snow, too) That's one factor in my returning here after my first career. The other factor is I promised Wife #2 I wouldn't keep her in Florida if she didn't try to drag me back to Kalifornia.  Texas was a wash for me, my Spanglish ain't so good, and you really need it around San Angelo way.

When I get up to Dick's age and my blood thins out (right around the time I start wearing black socks with sandals and Bermuda shorts), then maybe I'll pine for the warmth of Phoenix or Scottsdale, AZ, and that beautiful Airstream trailer on a concrete slab with Astroturf for a lawn - weekly shuffleboard matches and potluck get-togethers optional. 

In the meantime I've got more than enough intestinal fortitude to stick it out up here while others whimper, whine, and gear up to emulate Gawd knows how many other migratory Snowbirds.  I've been to a lot worse places...

Strings

>The answer was that maybe we could all live close to each other in AR, TN or another southern state.<

Hmmm... that might be interesting: can you imagine the block parties possible with you, Dave, and I ? Cheesy

We just have to keep the squirrels away form ya... :neener:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
I don't mind the snow, but I can't stand the cold. The temps a few weeks ago with negative signs are what's making me think about moving south.

Bill, let me know where you want to move to, so I can go somewhere else
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
my big St. Bernard/Catahoula Leopard mix
I'd like to see a pic of that!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Snow should be kept where it belongs, postcards and movies!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
No snow here, but it's going to rain like you know what out of a boot.  I'm happy need to wash the filth off the streets.

There's so much salt on the streets that I bought a soft pretzel from a push cart yesterday and I intentionally dropped it on the street to get extra salt.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
Yummmm.....  rolleyes

cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I love snow, I wish we got more of it here in Central Iowa. I wish we had enough to warrant owning a snowmobile. What I don't like is when the temps drop below 5 degrees and gets windy for an extended period of time.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
Emergency prep for a FOOT of snow...?

In northern New England, a foot of snow means you get up a half hour earlier, shovel and go to work. So does everyone else.  smiley

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Tell me about it, Mane.  I was in Boston for the last Noreastern (January '05).  Four feet of snow!  Boston didn't miss a beat.

"Yaaah, this weather is wicked.  I gotta drive my cahhhhr to the bahhhr." grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: St. Bernard/Catahoula Leopard Wisconsin snow dawg pics...

Think about a 100-pound oversized Border Collie-looking thing, that still falls asleep with his lower jaw on my sternum every night. (He somehow feels/hears my heartbeat and it puts him to sleep, how weird is that?)

Bernie at 12 weeks:

Bernie at 2 years, in Florida:

Bernie this winter, playing "catch me" in the snow:

Blizzard warning in effect now from 6PM tonight until noon tomorrow.  I have to go shovel the driveway, there's a big white lump where my truck used to be...

Lee

• friend
"Yaaah, this weather is wicked.  I gotta drive my cahhhhr to the bahhhr.

Thehs a flar in your Bostonian.  R's are only used wheh they don't belong. It would be, I dropped my keys on the flah of the cah.

Confusing Boston Real Estate Ad -  FS "Flawless Home"
What do you walk on, if it has no flaw. 

Car Knocker

• friend
There's so much salt on the streets that I bought a soft pretzel from a push cart yesterday and I intentionally dropped it on the street to get extra salt.
Being next to the Great Salt Lake, we use a LOT of salt.  UDOT, a few years ago, stated that in an average winter we use 4.5 tons of salt per lane/mile.  On a 12-lane freeway, that's 54 tons of salt every mile, every winter.
Don

thebaldguy

• friends
So far we've only got a few inches of sleet and snow. Some of Minnesota and Wisconsin have got more snow. The main streets in Minneapolis are covered with that mix making it slippery.  It doesn't look like they have plowed or sanded yet. A good day for a 4x4 if you're out. It was fun to drive today. Made me thankful for good tires on the Jeep.

The girlfriend wants to break into the emergency tex-mex rations for some homemade goodies; oven baked flautas with rice and beans. Tequila rations in the form of margaritas may be in order. The U of MN Gophers got beat by the St. Cloud State Huskies in hockey last night, but tonight they're home against 'em. Should be another good game to watch. Maybe we'll get out and do some snow removal sometime today. We'll see what happens. A good weekend to relax and hang out.

By the way, we're thinking of retireing in Texas; winters down south and summers up north. Maybe Texas residency to avoid high taxes in Minnesota. Only 19 more years to go!

280plus

• friend
Aww, what a cute li'l pup!  grin