Author Topic: Welp, Virginia is screwed  (Read 38116 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Welp, Virginia is screwed
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Maybe a pessimistic view but in the end the majority of Virginia gun owners will bow down to their masters in Richmond and the sheriffs and other county officials will default to their paychecks. The remaining few.that resist will be labeled as right wing extremists/terrorists by the leftist government and media. And finally the sheriffs that had previously sworn to defend their rights will shoot them down like dogs all the while shouting that they were just doing their job/following orders.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
Do the leftists really care about enforcement of all these laws?  They haven't really cared about assault weapon bans and registration schemes in other states.  Those have mostly failed if you go by compliance statistics.  

Even if the local county sheriffs and prosecutors don't mess with anyone, they could send some state police around to shooting ranges.  Even a few prosecutions by the state DA's office would make everyone change their behavior.  Also, companies outside that state won't violate state law by shipping illegal firearms or magazines into the state.  

The real question is if this "wave" of gun rights support will show up on the next election.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 05:19:45 AM »
IMO, if everyone had quietly non complied like they do in other states the statists would have patted themselves on the back and moved on.

The issue isn't the compliance or non-compliance, it's the vocal, public non compliance, especially of the enforcement apparatus.  It's one thing to have a law that everyone ignores.  We have a ton of those.  It's quite another when the people you depend on to enforce your whims publicly say that they won't.  That calls into question the absolute power of the state, and they can't let that pass.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Do the leftists really care about enforcement of all these laws?  They haven't really cared about assault weapon bans and registration schemes in other states.  Those have mostly failed if you go by compliance statistics.  

Even if the local county sheriffs and prosecutors don't mess with anyone, they could send some state police around to shooting ranges.  Even a few prosecutions by the state DA's office would make everyone change their behavior.  Also, companies outside that state won't violate state law by shipping illegal firearms or magazines into the state.  

The real question is if this "wave" of gun rights support will show up on the next election.

Of course these laws have low rates of compliance at first... but they kill the gun culture in a state.  An illegal AR-15 stuck in a closet doesn't help the gun culture at all.

Eventually, the left will be able to pass whatever laws they want, and no one will care because there aren't enough gun owners to make any difference.

They are boiling the frog.  The goal is to have a population like that of the UK where Joe Blow will hyperventilate and call the cops if he find a bullet.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
Of course these laws have low rates of compliance at first... but they kill the gun culture in a state.  An illegal AR-15 stuck in a closet doesn't help the gun culture at all.

This is my problem with non-compliance versus stopping or overturning the law. Obviously you can't always win, and I would "non-comply" if it came down to it. But then "they" still win, because I'm either hiding the guns or maybe sneaking them into BFE the desert to shoot them once in a while. They wouldn't see the gun range.

At least not unless there was a giant "non-compliance event", where 100 other guys show up with their illegal guns. If it's just me though, and an unsympathetic cop shows up, call me yellow, but I'm not up for being the example and doing pokey time or else losing all my money in legal fees. I've got the gun in a closet, but the antis still win because I mostly can't use it.

I'd rather fight via the voting booth and NRA-ILA, and maybe talk to all the so-called gun guys, who when you ask them to sign a petition or vote, give you the, "It'll never happen" line. Then become outraged after the votes are counted.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »
I'd rather fight via the voting booth and NRA-ILA, and maybe talk to all the so-called gun guys, who when you ask them to sign a petition or vote, give you the, "It'll never happen" line. Then become outraged after the votes are counted.

The problem is that hasn't been working, we've been losing ground steadily. I also haven't heard a peep out of the NRA recently.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
The problem is that hasn't been working, we've been losing ground steadily. I also haven't heard a peep out of the NRA recently.

Oh, I agree, which is why I said I would "non-comply" if it came down to it because, Constitution.  However,  I would rather the laws either not make it through, or get overturned, so I don't have to sneak around exercising a right.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2019, 11:23:07 AM »
I also haven't heard a peep out of the NRA recently.

They are too busy pissing away money and suing each other. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »
They are too busy pissing away money and suing each other.  

Yeah, they need to get their house in order/ Which IMHO, will only happen after Wayne steps down, but it seems ego is getting in the way of the NRA's charter.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 07:51:14 PM »
So there is a county forming a militia and coincidentally there us a law waiting in the wings that would make it illegal.

I've been pretty complacent with all the winning in the self defense community over the recent years.

This is a real wakeup call.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/virginia-activates-official-militia-after-gun-confiscation-threats-lawmakers-want-make
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »
I just realized bsl hasn't posted in this thread yet
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 10:27:27 PM »
Maybe a pessimistic view but in the end the majority of Virginia gun owners will bow down to their masters in Richmond and the sheriffs and other county officials will default to their paychecks. The remaining few.that resist will be labeled as right wing extremists/terrorists by the leftist government and media. And finally the sheriffs that had previously sworn to defend their rights will shoot them down like dogs all the while shouting that they were just doing their job/following orders.

i feel same.

some key politicians/media/backers would have to be deposed in some kind of spectacular fashion by individuals, leading to mass arrest and crack downs
I'm hoping the deep state realizes how dangerous a lone wolf can be if backed into a corner and that NYRPA scotus prevails on our side allowing them to save face.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2019, 01:55:02 AM »
So there is a county forming a militia and coincidentally there us a law waiting in the wings that would make it illegal.

I've been pretty complacent with all the winning in the self defense community over the recent years.

This is a real wakeup call.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/virginia-activates-official-militia-after-gun-confiscation-threats-lawmakers-want-make

ZeroHedge.

The militia law has been on the books for a long time and many states have on SB64 amended it to make it a crime to demonstrate or march while armed. Changed a few words in the existing statutes. Sure, they are crap laws and should not exist ever, but the howler monkeys of DOOM I TELL YOU! are not helping by screaming about going to the gun range or a class will be illegal. A lot of people on the virginia gun internet are showing their utter lack of reading ability.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2019, 04:42:13 AM »
Always read proposed new laws with the worst possible interpretation and intent. Particularly those expressly designed to curtail personal liberties.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »
ZeroHedge.

The militia law has been on the books for a long time and many states have on SB64 amended it to make it a crime to demonstrate or march while armed. Changed a few words in the existing statutes. Sure, they are crap laws and should not exist ever, but the howler monkeys of DOOM I TELL YOU! are not helping by screaming about going to the gun range or a class will be illegal. A lot of people on the virginia gun internet are showing their utter lack of reading ability.

In a sign of the times Zero Hedge has been more accurate these last three years than all the big media outfits. I agree you need to be careful sorting wheat from chaff.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
Yeah, they need to get their house in order/ Which IMHO, will only happen after Wayne steps down, but it seems ego is getting in the way of the NRA's charter.

The only way Wayne will leave is feet first.

And I am afraid he has stuffed the leadership with cronies just as crooked as he is.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
Any noise being made in Virginia is VCDL and the groups at the locality BOS meetings, many of which show up in VCDL stickers. NRA=crickets.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »
The only way Wayne will leave is feet first.

And I am afraid he has stuffed the leadership with cronies just as crooked as he is.

Unfortunately Wayne has gotten to the point where he thinks he is the NRA and the NRA is Wayne in much the same way a King thinks he is the country/Kingdom whatever. He has stuffed the leadership as you say to the point where he may be right
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
Wow. Over 100 towns, cities and counties have declared themselves 2nd Amendment sanctuaries. That's gotta be a record, no? A quick Gazoogle shows 95 counties in Virginia. I didn't search for a city count, but the numbers of "the resistance" (Ha!) seem to be heading towards a point where "will not comply" jurisdictions are greater than commie pinko jurisdictions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-counties-cities-gun-sanctuary

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2019, 01:11:38 AM »
Wow. Over 100 towns, cities and counties have declared themselves 2nd Amendment sanctuaries. That's gotta be a record, no? A quick Gazoogle shows 95 counties in Virginia. I didn't search for a city count, but the numbers of "the resistance" (Ha!) seem to be heading towards a point where "will not comply" jurisdictions are greater than commie pinko jurisdictions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-counties-cities-gun-sanctuary

Bad News Network said 90% of the counties in VA on Friday's show.  That's probably half the population.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
I’ve got family up in VA and normally they don’t care about guns but they are pissed about this too
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I’ve got family up in VA and normally they don’t care about guns but they are pissed about this too

When you lead with confiscation, after years of "NO ONE wants to take your guns", you wake some people up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
No one wants to take your guns we just want some "common sense" gun regulations.
No one wants to take your guns we just want some "common sense" gun regulations.
Okay, now we're after your guns
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »
Was or is the plan to set up armed confrontations between normal gun owners and government agents?

Sure appears the Democrats want there to be violence.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden