Author Topic: Here comes the gun control push, big time..  (Read 677 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Here comes the gun control push, big time..
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
Yeah, the Dems have all been pushing gun control in the Presidential Debates, but it is just one issue on their platforms, and likely behind health care, climate change, and a couple of others...

Bloomberg just announced he is a candidate for the Dem Nomination.  Guns are a top 3 issue for him.  And on other issues, he's more centrist, which (along with billions of dollars) may give him an edge.  Can he outspend Trump and pull this off?  And, if he does, will the Bloombeg Campaign against guns become the White House policy push?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Here comes the gun control push, big time..
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think Bloomberg has a chance. He's coming in late, and in one fell swoop has spent more money in a week than all the other candidates have in the last year (as per a news report I saw).

Unless the left is really going to do an, "our billionaire is better than your billionaire" thing, and everyone on the left buys it, he's not going anywhere. I think even the left sees it as him buying his way in at the last minute just because he can.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »
I'm also thinking the good mayor is getting the Obama treatment. Not qualified, no real ability and no record to speak of  but he's gay so if you don't support him you're a homophobic bigot. If you disagree with his politics you're a homophobic bigot, if you object to being called a homophobic bigot you're a homophobic bigot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
Bloomberg has already been in this race once before.  This is his second attempt.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:55:33 PM »
IMO, the only way Bloomberg could get anywhere is if he plays the moderate Democrat to attract different voters than the crazy leftists.  If he did that, he might give non-leftists Dems someone to vote for besides Joe Biden.

I am not worried at this point. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »
I think everyone knows he is not really running for president.  Bloomberg wants to be emperor.  They also haven't forgotten him banning large sodas. 

Trump v. Bloomie would be an interesting race.  Divisive and often hated multimillionaire v. universally-hated billionaire.
"It's good, though..."