Author Topic: We are all going to die, but younger and at higher rates, if you live in the US  (Read 1643 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
You don't suppose it has anything to do with obesity, food that doubles as a chemistry lesson, lack of exercise, etc?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
You don't suppose it has anything to do with obesity, food that doubles as a chemistry lesson, lack of exercise, etc?

I would say really cheap high calorie by volume food that is loaded with sugars and salts. Living a world of petrochemical fibers probably doesn't help either.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I would say really cheap high calorie by volume food that is loaded with sugars and salts. Living a world of petrochemical fibers probably doesn't help either.

Couple of different ways to look at that. Overindulgence in processed food is an obvious driver of reduced lifespan for the first world. On the other hand, there's probably around a billion people in the world that would gladly have a hand chopped off if it meant a guaranteed quarter pounder with cheese every day for the rest of their lives, the lengths of which would probably increase by 20% with the nutrients.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
bedlamite: "...food that doubles as a chemistry lesson..."

Like.

Stealing.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
bedlamite: "...food that doubles as a chemistry lesson..."

Like.

Stealing.
I like that also.  Add drinks to that with all the energy drinks, diet everything, etc, etc.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
By 2014, midlife mortality was increasing across all racial groups, caused by drug overdoses, alcohol abuse, suicides, and a diverse list of organ system diseases.

Those causes sound like self destructive types issues.  Not sure about the "organ system diseases", but that could be nutrition and poor diet as well as obesity. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Those causes sound like self destructive types issues.  Not sure about the "organ system diseases", but that could be nutrition and poor diet as well as obesity. 

In this context, I bet the organ system diseases are diabetes, hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as the main candidates.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Suicide, non-prescribed drugs and obesity.

bob

dogmush

• friend

You are clearly not on board with the pro-cardiovascular disease  body positivity movement.

The train to the re-education camps leaves at 1735 from platform 2.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Couple of different ways to look at that. Overindulgence in processed food is an obvious driver of reduced lifespan for the first world. On the other hand, there's probably around a billion people in the world that would gladly have a hand chopped off if it meant a guaranteed quarter pounder with cheese every day for the rest of their lives, the lengths of which would probably increase by 20% with the nutrients.

It's probably not a single daily quarter pounder with cheese, it's the 2nd quarter pounder, 48oz soda and extra large fries. King size snickers for a snack, another 48oz soda, etc. Lack of green veggies and fiber. Medium pizza for supper.

I remember a current small size soda used to be a large size in many restaurants.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
You are clearly not on board with the pro-cardiovascular disease  body positivity movement.

The train to the re-education camps leaves at 1735 from platform 2.

" for Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuc...amanga" :)
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

We are the most prosperous nation to ever exist on the face of this earth.  We should not be dying from malnutrition.  But we are.  Because the food we're eating is killing us now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
We are the most prosperous nation to ever exist on the face of this earth.  We should not be dying from malnutrition.  But we are.  Because the food we're eating is killing us now.
Because when you give people a choice and the economic means to make that choice, they don't always do what is best for themselves.  It won't help matters to force them to make better choices (I know you weren't making that point).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Because when you give people a choice and the economic means to make that choice, they don't always do what is best for themselves.  It won't help matters to force them to make better choices (I know you weren't making that point).

Those choices weren't even made for them.  They were guided by corporations greasing the palms of government.  Sugar is enemy number one, and the way that sugar and HFCS became staple food ingredients is one of the most frightening things our government has ever done to us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
Well, when you take the tasty fat out of everything, you have to add sugar so people will actually eat it.  One more thing the Liberals have managed to destroy....actual food that tastes good and is relatively harmless.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Well, when you take the tasty fat out of everything, you have to add sugar so people will actually eat it.  One more thing the Liberals have managed to destroy....actual food that tastes good and is relatively harmless.

Probably not a liberal agenda, I would think the big food producers probably write bigger checks to GOP candidates.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Sorry guys, but neither party has a monopoly on corruption. Who gets paid more depends on who is in power now and whether or not they play ball with the lobbyists.

in this case: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sugar-harvard-conspiracy-1.3759582
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Sorry guys, but neither party has a monopoly on corruption. Who gets paid more depends on who is in power now and whether or not they play ball with the lobbyists.

in this case: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sugar-harvard-conspiracy-1.3759582

I also associate the liberals with the ones who want to see small farms, locally grown natural foods too. Usually its the conservative that bashes a organic/natural grower. Liberals complain about how few players there is in food processing and how bad vertical agriculture is.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Pb

• friend
I think a lot of the problem may be that an increasing number of people are living without family… not getting married, getting divorced, living away from other relatives.

People aren't meant to be alone.

It makes it more likely that a person will become miserable, drink, use drugs and kill themselves.

More than 40% of American kids are bastards.  Add to that the number living without their dads due to divorce.  It's no suprise mental health is getting worse… and more young people dying reflects that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
People aren't meant to be alone.

If it wasn't for my wife I'd be more than willing to test that hypothesis.

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams