Author Topic: Lawyers and patents: coat-tailing on gunsmith's "Archery Hack" thread:  (Read 747 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I guess that if I put this link in gunsmith's thread it would have started a major thread drift.

Georg Sprague Jeorg Sprave, the inventor of the archery device in that thread has been hit with a lot of suggestions that he patent it.

He does not want to, and made a video explaining why the small inventor should not patent his invention.

I hold no position either way, but I know there are successful "Patent Companies" out there which might negate some of Sprague's Sprave's concerns.

Anyhow, here he is on the "con" side:

https://youtu.be/OsIihrcqJYA

Any counters to his arguments?

Terry

Edited to correct name, change thread title.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:32:44 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Coat-tailing on gunsmith's "Archery Hack" thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 01:44:56 PM »
I guess that if I put this link in gunsmith's thread it would have started a major thread drift.

Georg Sprague, the inventor of the archery device in that thread has been hit with a lot of suggestions that he patent it.

He does not want to, and made a video explaining why the small inventor should not patent his invention.

I hold no position either way, but I know there are successful "Patent Companies" out there which might negate some of Sprague's concerns.

Anyhow, here he is on the "con" side:

https://youtu.be/OsIihrcqJYA

Any counters to his arguments?

Terry

As with most of our institutions, it seems the patent process has become sclerotic from the overt influence of bureaucrats and lawyers.

We have a herculean task of cleansing the rot out of our country. I'm guessing that it has gone well beyond the point where internal correction can succeed though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
Re: Lawyers and patents: coat-tailing on gunsmith's "Archery Hack" thread:
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »
IANAL, but patenting something AFTER public disclosure (like a youtube video) can be very problematic.

Some companies deliberately disclose some of their proprietary processes somewhere, just to prevent someone else from patenting it and possibly closing them off from their own work.

Litigating a patent can be expensive - in a discussion with one of my employer's patent attorneys, he mentioned that the average cost to litigate a patent is around $3,000,000.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain