Author Topic: Your favorite sandwich... Or, stuff between bread...  (Read 4212 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite sandwich... Or, stuff between bread...
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
Last night I had perhaps my absolute favorite sandwich for dinner...

An open face hot turkey and gravy with mashed potatoes. Not a traditional sandwich in that you can't pick it up and eat it while you're gambling with your noble buddies, but good enough for me. That's one thing I love about the holidays, usually enough left overs to enjoy this particular treat a number of times.

This time was a bit different, though, in that I only had turkey from Thanksgiving. Brought a big bag back from my friend's place. So I used box mashed potatoes and a packet of McCormick's onion gravy.

Slapped everything on top of two slices of buttered multi-grain bread and I was in absolute hog heaven.

I love Rubens and a good grilled ham and cheese, but nothing beats an open face turkey & gravy sandwich.

So, let's hear it. How do you roll your stuff between bread?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Your favorite sandwich... Or, stuff between bread...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
I don't just have one.

I do love a hot turkey sandwich, but I need a blob of stuffing on it to go with the potatoes. Got a bar across town that does a hot turkey sandwich every Tuesday.

I absolutely love a fried tenderloin sandwich, with ketchup, mustard, onion, and pickles.

I like a club sandwich, especially if the middle bread is a rye.

and finally a muffuletta sandwich

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
Leftover turkey sandwiches are my favorite part of Thanksgiving, so since I was visiting family this year, I'm sad I only got one day of those.

With some cheddar cheese or bacon with Miracle Whip, they are simply amazing.

Tuna or chicken salad are always good. (Improved if you include bacon.) There was something I had as a child from a local store called "Sandwich Spread", which as near as I can tell was bologna salad. (Bologna ground up and then mixed with pickle relish, mayo, and other "salad" type things) I loved that. The store is out of business and I haven't been able to find it elsewhere, so I can't comment on my current taste for it.

Also had pulled pork sandwich last night. No coleslaw to go on it, unfortunately. Still very tasty.

I've been enjoying making crepes and found a very good recipe for Monte Cristo Crepes. That is one of my favorite "sandwiches" right now.

After all that thinking "out loud", I do believe I know my favorite sandwich: Cubans: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256968/chef-johns-cuban-sandwich/

It's not the only way to make it, but the ham, pulled pork, swiss cheese and pickles are just great, all melted either as a panini or grilled.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
There was something I had as a child from a local store called "Sandwich Spread", which as near as I can tell was bologna salad. (Bologna ground up and then mixed with pickle relish, mayo, and other "salad" type things) I loved that. The store is out of business and I haven't been able to find it elsewhere, so I can't comment on my current taste for it.

Sounds like ham salad, it was all the rage with I was a kid with my parents and grandparents, seemed like every grocery store had it at the meat counter by the pound. I don't see it very often anymore, usually in small towns on a menu at small main street restaurant.

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »
Shrimp & Bacon Club   
Grilled gulf shrimp, smoked bacon, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, & tomato basil dressing.

This is my all time best sandwich from Fogarty's on Duval St in Key West.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
"Leftover turkey sandwiches are my favorite part of Thanksgiving"

That's what I'm having for lunch right now. Kaiser roll, mayonnaise, cheddar, combination of smoked and fried turkey, hot mustard, and a blob of cranberry sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
I don't really have a favorite*, but I like leftover turkey sandwiches.  Dark meat for hot sandwich with leftover gravy, white meat for cold sandwich with Miracle Whip.  (there's a lot more white meat, so that's a good thing when we run out of gravy)  Cranberry sauce on the side with either one.

*Wait, does a cheeseburger count as a sandwich?  The "Works Burger" at a local bar is the best burger I've ever eaten.  It's almost too much.  1/2 lb beef patty, bacon, American and Swiss cheese, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, raw onion.  (I get it w/o mushrooms because then it really is too much) 
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
In regards to ham salad, I have made the exact same thing by substituting Spam for ham.  The bacon spam is especially good this way.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
Of course a hamburger counts as a sammich.

So do burritos and tacos, in my book.

If you have a bread or bread-like container, wrapper, or platform, it counts as far as I'm concerned.

That said, an open face hot sandwich is about as far from the classic definition/understanding of a sammich as something can get. I guess it's really a deconstructed sandwich.

That said, does a bread bowl of stew, soup, or chili count? Yeah, no. The line shall be drawn here! No farther!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
Ham salad was a staple sandwich stuffing at church picnics when I was a kid in Central Pennsylvania. You could still buy it by the pound at the delis in quite a few of the stores the last time I was there in 2018.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
Sounds like ham salad, it was all the rage with I was a kid with my parents and grandparents, seemed like every grocery store had it at the meat counter by the pound. I don't see it very often anymore, usually in small towns on a menu at small main street restaurant.

While ham salad is a good idea, they had both ham salad and "Sandwich Spread" as options from the deli. The meat was different in the sandwich spread.

(Ok, I had to google it. It seems that bologna is a common substitute in Ham Salad, "the poor man's Ham Salad.")

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 12:07:05 PM »
'In regards to ham salad, I have made the exact same thing by substituting Spam for ham.'

Subbing in Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna for the ham was a thing in the 1970s in Central Pa.

Sounds gross, was actually quite good.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
That said, an open face hot sandwich is about as far from the classic definition/understanding of a sammich as something can get.

I've never heard it referred as an open face hot sandwich, just referred as a hot turkey sandwich, hot beef sandwich, hamburger sandwich or hot pork/sausage sandwich.

Mashed potatoes (and sometimes stuffing for turkey) in the middle of the plate, nested between slices of bread/toast, meat in the description on the bread and buried in gravy.

If you saw hot "xxx" sandwich on the menu/special board, it was as I just described. Hamburger being the only one not referred as hot, but made the same way, this was a NW IA thing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
Where I grew up the various terms had very specific meanings...

A sandwich was just that, something between two slices of bread. A hot roast beef sandwich would be, literally, hot roast beef on a top and bottom bun; same with a cold roast beef sandwich.

Open faced sandwich wasn't used as commonly, but was still out there. Most tuna melts are open face sandwiches.

But, in central Pennsylvania, if you saw open-faced hot turkey sandwich (or roast beef, or meatloaf, or hamloaf, etc.), you KNEW you were getting a base of bread, hot turkey, hot gravy over that, and mashed potatoes. Depending on the restaurant you might get the spuds on top of the turkey with the gravy done volcano style, or you might get the spuds on the side of the plate, or even in a separate bowl.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
My favorite sandwich is... a sandwich. Don't really care. PB&J? Check. Hot ham on rye? Check. Monte Cristo with a side of raspberry jam? Check (actually, double check). Plain, toasted, roasted, deep-fried, whatever. It's a delightfully blank canvas upon which I can indulge my wildest culinary fantasies.

That being said, a good BLT on fresh bread, toasted, extra B, L, and T, with lots of mayo... delish.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
PB&J...

One of the sandwiches that I really do NOT care for. I've never been a huge fan of peanut butter. Pretty sure that the last PB&J I had was better than 5 years ago.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
My favorite sandwich is... a sandwich. Don't really care. PB&J? Check. Hot ham on rye? Check. Monte Cristo with a side of raspberry jam? Check (actually, double check). Plain, toasted, roasted, deep-fried, whatever. It's a delightfully blank canvas upon which I can indulge my wildest culinary fantasies.

That being said, a good BLT on fresh bread, toasted, extra B, L, and T, with lots of mayo... delish.

Brad

Given how much I enjoyed the Monte Cristo crepe I made, I thought that a Cuban crepe would sound really good.

https://www.world-of-crepes.com/cuban-sandwich-recipe.html

Oh my, that looks good. I will have to try that with my next batch of crepes. Might be my new favorite sandwich.

And, thinking about the Monte Cristo and the Cuban, both have Swiss cheese. Maybe it's the melted Swiss cheese that makes them the best.

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Roughly in order:

BLT  Easy on the mayo, no fancy stuff like avocado
Ham and Swiss
Tuna Salad  No celery please, it's not actually a salad
Peanut Butter and Honey
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
People keep mentioning BLT. That's one I forgot.

Needs to have fresh lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. None of the store-bought tomatoes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »
Here's my 2nd best, also from Fogarty's in Key West.  This one is a wrap.

Spicy shrimp, crumbled bacon, romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese, & tangy caesar dressing.

I agree on the BLT.  Gotta have fresh home grown tomatoes.  I also add a slice of pepper jack cheeze.  Miracle Whip for me, none of that bland mayo.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »
Turkey, avocado, and mayo.  Makes for a slippery sandwich, but the flavors work well together.

Fresh garden tomatoes, mayo, and bacon. Save the lettuce for a salad.

Grilled cheese and ham, but with $25 a pound aged parmesan on French bread, and homemade pesto.

Turkey or chicken with a big ol' piece of roasted hot chile. We use Pueblo chile, but a poblano or hot anaheim would work.

A good hamburger (home grown beef, venison or pronghorn) with fresh tomato, green chile, homemade pickle slices, and swiss cheese.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:09:11 PM by Larry Ashcraft »