Author Topic: Continued high unemployment in US men aged 25-54  (Read 2603 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Continued high unemployment in US men aged 25-54
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
A friend of mine's son graduated last year from college, I think his degree is poly-sci and Chinese. I know the Chinese part is correct, second might be international relations. His dad is pissed at him for not just taking any job until he finds something permanent. His son refuses to take any job that might require weekend work or outside of day working hours. He thinks his parents are going to pay for him to go to China in March and try to get a job over there, so far they aren't going to foot the bill and keep suggesting that he takes any job to pay for his travel and living expenses for a trip to China. He did work at a dairy farm for a while, but found it too hard of a job, so he quit.

His other two kids are the complete opposite. They were both home owners before 30, work fulltime + and don't mind non normal hours.

I think some younger folks just don't understand you have to pay your dues for awhile or a long while to get the M-F day shift job.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 04:50:35 PM »
I want off M-F day shift. I want the graveyard shift again. The shift where I would routinely go whole weeks without having to interact with another human being. All this people time I do now is gonna put me in an early grave. Too much stress.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
A friend of mine's son graduated last year from college, I think his degree is poly-sci and Chinese. I know the Chinese part is correct, second might be international relations. His dad is pissed at him for not just taking any job until he finds something permanent. His son refuses to take any job that might require weekend work or outside of day working hours. He thinks his parents are going to pay for him to go to China in March and try to get a job over there, so far they aren't going to foot the bill and keep suggesting that he takes any job to pay for his travel and living expenses for a trip to China. He did work at a dairy farm for a while, but found it too hard of a job, so he quit.

His other two kids are the complete opposite. They were both home owners before 30, work fulltime + and don't mind non normal hours.

I think some younger folks just don't understand you have to pay your dues for awhile or a long while to get the M-F day shift job.
Or you are going to have to travel which ought to be good for a younger man who doesn't have as many home responsibilities. 

I have often found the regular 8-5 working hours comes with experience in knowing how to get your work done in 8 hours a day.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
Or you are going to have to travel which ought to be good for a younger man who doesn't have as many home responsibilities. 

I have often found the regular 8-5 working hours comes with experience in knowing how to get your work done in 8 hours a day.

I like the travel part of my job, I drive 35-40k a year, but I'm home 95% of the nights with normally 8hr days. Pays the same if I'm on the ground or behind the wheel. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 01:41:35 AM »
heh.  I remember when I liked traveling for work...….

I will say that being prepared to jump career's in the latter half of that age range is a challenge.  I feel for them in part because, as I said, I'm doing it. To crib from Ben Shapiro though, Facts don't care about your feelings.  The job market is changing at a more rapid pace then in the 20th century, in ways that aren't 100% predictable.  That's just the way it is, and decrying that it sucks won't change it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
Economists are scratching their heads over continued high employment rates but low or non-existent wage growth:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/06/this-is-hottest-job-market-since-s-why-arent-wages-growing-faster/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
Economists are scratching their heads over continued high employment rates but low or non-existent wage growth:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/06/this-is-hottest-job-market-since-s-why-arent-wages-growing-faster/

The article doesn't say anything about executive salaries and bonuses.  IMHO, that's where all the money goes, and there's nothing left for the workers.  Mid- and top-level managers get rewards for keeping wages down.  They do a lot of that by offshoring jobs or whining to Congress that they need more H1-B visas.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
The article doesn't say anything about executive salaries and bonuses.  IMHO, that's where all the money goes, and there's nothing left for the workers.  Mid- and top-level managers get rewards for keeping wages down.  They do a lot of that by offshoring jobs or whining to Congress that they need more H1-B visas.

Is that really it though?

Walmart, for example, employs over 2 million people. The Walmart CEO receives ~$22 million. $22,000,000 / 2,000,000 = $11.

It's kinda like Warren's (and others) "tax the rich". You take every dime that the 1% (or a CEO) make, and it doesn't get you very far, whether you're talking about higher wages or "free stuff".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."