Author Topic: Google Maps and street lighting  (Read 745 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Google Maps and street lighting
« on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »
According to this article, Google Maps might soon tell you how well-lit neighborhoods are.

https://pocketnow.com/google-maps-to-soon-show-you-how-brightly-streets-are-lit

It reminds me of that app that was supposed to help people avoid high-crime areas, but was quickly pulled. It was racist, of course.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Google Maps and street lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
According to this article, Google Maps might soon tell you how well-lit neighborhoods are.

https://pocketnow.com/google-maps-to-soon-show-you-how-brightly-streets-are-lit

It reminds me of that app that was supposed to help people avoid high-crime areas, but was quickly pulled. It was racist, of course.

I live in a very safe neighborhood, according to the statistics.  Also according to my calibrated eyeball.  We don't have street lights.

Google, et. al., are on the right track with these "bad neighborhood apps," but they should use actual crime statistics.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
I live in a very safe neighborhood, according to the statistics.  Also according to my calibrated eyeball.  We don't have street lights.

Google, et. al., are on the right track with these "bad neighborhood apps," but they should use actual crime statistics.

You racist bastiger.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »
You racist bastiger.

I'm not racist.  I hate everyone equally.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
Trouble is, the crappy areas are expanding oncologically, but the "safe areas" are shrinking.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
I'm amazed at how much info google can aggregate. Not from us reprobates surfing on AOL, but been using the map app a bit recently when travelling. I phone is hugely accurate in telling you where traffic slowdowns are, even 1/4 mile stop and go on the interstate that is not reported to the state highway dept. It can only be google tracking every android device and noting their actual movement speed vs. predicted speed. And all passive.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.