Author Topic: legal question (long)  (Read 837 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
legal question (long)
« on: February 26, 2007, 05:44:57 PM »
Hold on to your hats, long story. About 2.5 years ago, my girlfriend's mom was killed in a car accident where a guy ran a stop sign and hit her motorcycle. Two law firms became involved. One to settle the estate and one to collect the insurance from the guy. My girlfriend is the executrix of the estate and she and her sister are the benefactors. This past fall the estate lawyers finally figured out what's going on and my girlfriend sent her sister a check to buy out her half of the house so my girlfriend has full ownership. It's been about six months and they still haven't closed the case and she's having to pay taxes on the estate because it's still open. The lawyers are really dragging their feet getting anything done, making excuses, etc. and every time taxes are collected they charge more fees for the paperwork on top of the taxes. It really shouldn't be very difficult, it's not like there was a lot of money or a really expensive house to transfer.

The other problem is the insurance lawyers. 2.5 years later the insurance company is still offering to settle for the same amount that they offered in the beginning, only now the lawyers are taking a huge chunk out of it to pay themselves. They won't cooperate with my girlfriend at all. They tried to sue the guy that caused the accident personally and his business, not just his insurance company. My girlfriend didn't want them to, she just wanted to settle as quickly as possible to put everything behind her. Just this week it comes out that her law firm also represents the lawyer of the guy that caused the accident. This whole time they've blamed that lawyer for dragging things out but in the meantime he's one of their clients. Conflict of interest?

Anyway, the whole point of this is, what recourse does my girlfriend have? How can she force them to get things done on time and actually do the work that they're paying themselves for with her money? Can she at this point fire the lawyer handling the insurance because he didn't get any more money than the insurance company offered, and is now taking a huge chunk out of it, and also because the guy's lawyer has been and still currently is a client? Thanks for any thoughts.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: legal question (long)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »
File a report with the State Bar?
My ex GF was a lawyer...she was terrified of the Bar.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:35:21 AM »
El T or someone in practice may have inside advice, but it gets very sticky when you fire an attorney in midstream, since they can backdate all manner of charges for services rendered.  You'd better hope they don't have a vengeful bone in their body, and the new lawdog gets you enough financial satisfaction and quick resolution to warrant the midstream horse change.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
What state is this taking place in?

What kind of taxes are being collected on the estate?

Estates can take a long time to wrap up.  The lawyers don't normally get any benefit from causing delay.  If there's no contest, the time consuming part usually involves waiting on someone else to provide information and waiting for approval from the court for various things.  Is the estate a party to any lawsuit?  If not, are there any assets that have not been distributed?

Is the law firm hired to deal with the insurance company representing the estate or your girlfriend?  If they are truly representing the estate or survivors of the mother AND the guy that hit her, it is a conflict of interest.  It's so conflicting that I have trouble even believing it.  Your sister should quickly locate a competent attorney to help her sort things out and possibly take over any activity being handled by the current firm.  Due to the length of time since the accident, it is possible that the statute of limitations has run on potential causes of action which have not been properly acted upon.  In addition to seeking a better lawyer, filing a report with the state bar grievance committee may be an option.  It is how attorneys in each state police themselves and punishment can be severe.

What Felonious said about dropping a firm is true and some can react spitefully, but if you have a solid grievance/malpractice claim they are much more willing to let things go peacefully.  If they have a conflict of interest, they had no business taking the case to begin with and should do everything they can to get out of it.

Disclaimer:  The information contained in this post is just general commentary and is not provided as legal advice.  For detailed legal help, please contact an attorney in the state where the events in question occurred.

For entertainment purposes only.

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
What Gunsmith said.

Failure to disclose a clear conflict of interest. Letter to the Bar, with copies to all the lawyers, the insurance company and the Attorney General.

Bob
Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »
This in Ohio. I’m not sure what the exact taxes on the estate are. This all started long before I met my girlfriend so I don’t pry for details. From what she’s told me, every six months they collect a tax on the estate, presumably based on the value of the assets. The estate lawyers are charging her fees every time taxes are collected, I guess for filing all the paperwork. I think they also have to provide reasons to the state or county why the estate isn’t settled yet, which is more fees. All assets have been distributed. The last step was to be my girlfriend buying out her sister for the house. She gave the lawyers the check last fall, which they were to hand over to the sister, and there are no further assets to distribute.

The firm dealing with the insurance is representing my girlfriend, I believe, because she and her sister were the benefactors, not the estate. My understanding is they are also the firm that represents the lawyer of the other guy, but not actually the guy himself. I’m not sure on the details there; they just sent her a letter disclosing it and said that it is not a conflict of interest. They only now disclosed it even though the lawyer was their client for the entire past 2.5yrs. She was supposed to call both firms today to get some answers, I’ll see what happened. She doesn’t really want to get any other firms involved, she’s had enough from her current two, and just wants to get things wrapped up. Thanks for the “general commentary”Smiley. Sounds like going to the bar might be the best option.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 02:22:18 PM »
This in Ohio. Im not sure what the exact taxes on the estate are. This all started long before I met my girlfriend so I dont pry for details. From what shes told me, every six months they collect a tax on the estate, presumably based on the value of the assets. The estate lawyers are charging her fees every time taxes are collected, I guess for filing all the paperwork. I think they also have to provide reasons to the state or county why the estate isnt settled yet, which is more fees. All assets have been distributed. The last step was to be my girlfriend buying out her sister for the house. She gave the lawyers the check last fall, which they were to hand over to the sister, and there are no further assets to distribute.

I am not familiar with Ohio law, but here in Texas we don't have any tax that would be collected on an estate of that size, and nothing else that I can think of that would be collected every six months, other than the court charging additional fees where there is a delay in filing the inventory, appraisement and list of claims.  In fact, it is common here to not officially close an estate handled by independent administration.  Once the inventory is approved and the property has gone to the right people, many courts leave it at that, even though there is a procedure to officially "close" an estate.

The firm dealing with the insurance is representing my girlfriend, I believe, because she and her sister were the benefactors, not the estate. My understanding is they are also the firm that represents the lawyer of the other guy, but not actually the guy himself. Im not sure on the details there; they just sent her a letter disclosing it and said that it is not a conflict of interest. They only now disclosed it even though the lawyer was their client for the entire past 2.5yrs. She was supposed to call both firms today to get some answers, Ill see what happened. She doesnt really want to get any other firms involved, shes had enough from her current two, and just wants to get things wrapped up. Thanks for the general commentary:). Sounds like going to the bar might be the best option.

Sorry, I misread that the first time.  I wouldn't necessarily be happy with it, but it may not be a conflict of interest.  A lot more facts would be necessary to make that call.

What is their fee agreement?

It sounds like she just needs to pressure them for answers and hold off on the bar thing if she wants them to continue working on it*, especially if she has nothing solid to base a grievance on.  I don't know what all she can do in Ohio, but here in Texas as an uninformed client, I'd ask for a written status report on the case, copies of correspondence with the other side, copies of pleadings, discovery (assuming it wouldn't be voluminous), and when (or if) they plan on going to trial.

Save the bar grievance for something serious.  Without knowing anything about the case or what the attorneys have done so far, I'd only be speculating as to what they may have done wrong, but the "time" issue alone is probably not that bad.

-----------------------------------

* I wouldn't feel very good about working for someone who threatened me with going to the state bar just because they thought I was "taking too long."  Most of the work we do takes a long time because it is complicated - nearly every case is different, laws constantly change and are not always well-written, procedural and regulatory requirements multiply like bunnies, we can only read so fast and our brains are only so big.  I've had a few clients get mad about how long something was taking.  On rare occasions, I may have been so busy that I just couldn't get their work out as fast as they wanted, in which case I'd apologize and maybe even provide a significant discount.  99% of the time I get the complaint, I have to explain to the client that they have failed to provide me with information I requested numerous times then prepare them a multi-page, single-spaced statement detailing everything I have done along with a fee that reflects the full amount of work done to date.

-----------------------------------

Advice to anyone using a lawyer:  Most lawyers will try to keep you up to date about your file - especially if there is regular billing to be done.  Most of us are juggling many files/cases at the same time and some require much more attention than others.  If you haven't heard from your lawyer in a while, give a them a polite call to see what's going on.  I always take client calls and return them immediately if I missed them.  Many other lawyers are the same way.  Sometimes the "quiet" files get overlooked.  It never hurts to check on them.  It sure beats waiting a year, then complaining that the lawyer didn't do anything, only to find out he thought he was waiting for you to bring in additional information, or worse (and this has happened to me) the client moved without providing a new phone number or address.
For entertainment purposes only.