Author Topic: Britain is back in the carrier business  (Read 1590 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Britain is back in the carrier business
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »
Another issue I have is not whether a carrier is super or not, but how many do you have? Kinda like guns, three is one and one is none. Figure one carrier in re-fit, we went to the yards about every two years sometimes a long stay and sometimes a few months. One carrier training, after a re-fit period it is close to a year before you have a fully trained carrier group with air arm. One out there putting warheads on foreheads.

It will also interest me to see how the F-35 does long term. I used to handle tech repair and advisory documents for the harrier daily. Then go into the military aviation records system and it was clear the harrier had a much higher mishap rate than any other fixed wing in service. Single engine, single crew, weird flight regime, it's no wonder.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Britain is back in the carrier business
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

It will also interest me to see how the F-35 does long term. I used to handle tech repair and advisory documents for the harrier daily. Then go into the military aviation records system and it was clear the harrier had a much higher mishap rate than any other fixed wing in service. Single engine, single crew, weird flight regime, it's no wonder.

And that was probably after they had been in use for quite a while. When they first rolled them out and put Marines fresh from flight school in them they were dropping out of the sky like rain. :( They eventually figured out they needed experienced pilots in the cockpit in order to drive the accident rate down. The Harrier is a fairly unforgiving platform.

bob