Author Topic: Alone Christmas 2020  (Read 2117 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Alone Christmas 2020
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
It looks like the wife and I will be without family for Christmas 2020.

Looking for suggestions of where to go so not to spend that day at home depressed.

Willing to drive 8 hours each way from Waco Tx area if need be.

We’re both early 60s in mostly good shape.  Would prefer low physical impact (no hikes) but busy on Xmas day.

If it was just me I would go to Lubbock and murder some p-dogs again. But that wouldn’t bode well for the wife.

Suggestions?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Alone Christmas 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
It looks like the wife and I will be without family for Christmas 2020.

Looking for suggestions of where to go so not to spend that day at home depressed.

Willing to drive 8 hours each way from Waco Tx area if need be.

We’re both early 60s in mostly good shape.  Would prefer low physical impact (no hikes) but busy on Xmas day.

If it was just me I would go to Lubbock and murder some p-dogs again. But that wouldn’t bode well for the wife.

Suggestions?

Branson is 8.5 hours from Waco.

I'm betting any open shows may be sold out. (Checking on that... seems at least some have some Christmas day performances available)

Otherwise, I've got nothing. Anything else too far west for my knowledge base.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
How far is Waco from Texas Hill Country? It has been many years since I've been there, but with the German culture in the area, I bet there's a lot of neat Christmas stuff going on.

This is actually my first Christmas alone as well. Family was gonna come here, but my idiot sister messed all that up, and I don't want to go to CA. I'm actually kinda looking forward to my first peaceful Christmas.  :laugh:

For some years now, I've been doing the Magnum PI thing, and when work wasn't in the way, spending my birthday alone doing a cool hike or similar. But then I love solitude, and I realize that unlike me, most humans are social creatures. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 09:37:27 AM »
I spent a Christmas in San Antonio once years ago, it was pretty nice as I remember.
The wife and I are going to be alone this Christmas. We are going to stay home and cook a nice dinner. She will go to early catholic mass while I attend St mattress. We talked about making a 5 hour road trip with an overnight to visit a potential future retirement location. Depends on weather and wether or not we feel like going. With the recent loss of our dog we have new freedom.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
Christmas church services?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
"while I attend St mattress"

Our Lady of the Evening?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
How far is Waco from Texas Hill Country? It has been many years since I've been there, but with the German culture in the area, I bet there's a lot of neat Christmas stuff going on.

This is actually my first Christmas alone as well. Family was gonna come here, but my idiot sister messed all that up, and I don't want to go to CA. I'm actually kinda looking forward to my first peaceful Christmas.  :laugh:

For some years now, I've been doing the Magnum PI thing, and when work wasn't in the way, spending my birthday alone doing a cool hike or similar. But then I love solitude, and I realize that unlike me, most humans are social creatures. :)

It's a little over a 2 hours drive, IIRC.
"It's good, though..."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
Definitely can catch a church service. That would be cool for the morning.

Beorne is looking like they may have something that day.

Hmm. That’s only 1.5 hours away.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
San Antonio would be a pleasant slap in the face to my son and his wife.

Would be satisfying to post pics on Facebook of our activities in his home town.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 10:23:58 AM »
https://www.drivetanks.com/
Drive Tanks.com is located on the acclaimed OX Hunting Ranch. We are conveniently located just two hours west of San Antonio on 18,000 acres of some of the most beautiful land that the Texas Hill Country has to offer. We are a one of a kind operation and the premiere Tank Driving & Shooting Adventure in the world.  However, for those who prefer to leave the driving out completely, then why not fly directly into the ranch’s 5,800 ft Paved Runway located right on property.  01TX is the FAA identifier.

Or find one of those helicopter hog hunts.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Alone Christmas 2020
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
Ruidoso NM might be fun.

I could go to church that morning and ask fo forgiveness for gambling that afternoon.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 03:29:54 PM »
Why not do something special at home, just the two of you?

I told my Aunt I would be coming up to Richmond like normal. I kind of don't want to go. It will be the first year without Dad.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »
To be honest, I usually like to spend Christmas with just the wife & I and local. I usually have to work the day before and the day after, so if there is a family gathering, I'm on the road 4-6hrs that day, feels like I am rushed with family and really can't have any down time because where ever I go is packed with loud screeching children.

I do enjoy the family gatherings the weekends before or after Christmas day.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
Fredericksburg

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 06:52:16 PM »
I’ll be off for 3.5 days.

Usually my daughter come in with her group. Husband two kiddos and three dogs. Next year the are thinking of going to Wisconsin to see her in-laws. Which I’m glad for them. They haven’t been in a couple or three years.

My sons has made it clear the holidays are for his in-laws not us.

Creates a depressing event when not with my daughter. Last two times they spent Christmas on Wisconsin was ok at my house with just me and the wife but the wife was depressed since we can’t have a holiday with the other grandkids. Kinda shitty but is what it is.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
Fredericksburg

Brad

Haven’t looked into there yet but will.

Also there’s Greune and San Marcus

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »
You kind of get used to it. Most of my friends and relatives have passed on or moved away over the years.  Wife1 kind of takes care of Holiday festivities and naturally, I ain't invited.

I used to get together with my sons for a post-holiday dinner at a good restaurant, but it looks like that possibility is thinning out too.

Enjoy your solitude, Ben.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
We had a crowd of kids, grands and great grands at 10 AM.  They all have 2 or 3 other stops today, so they are gone by 1PM.  Time for a nap.  I had bronchitis from Oct 5 till about 2 weeks ago...and then I got it back a couple days ago.  I'm not up for much crowd time.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »

Enjoy your solitude, Ben.

Enjoying it, thanks. :)

I do miss seeing my little grand niece having fun, but such is life. Our traditional family Christmas went downhill after my mom and niece passed, so solitude is better than being around mopey and disgruntled people. All things must pass, but some can't except it. I'll take turkey dinner with Steve the dog and watching nature out my window. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 08:07:05 PM »
Yeah, so after my Reply #6 above on Christmas day, I got the mail yesterday and one of my incoming Christmas cards contained a funeral notice for my favorite cousin.

His father was my father's favorite brother, so we cross-visited a lot and he and I palled around a lot. Being  close to my age (one year younger), he was like another brother.

Dayam.

He retired from one of the Long Island PDs and bought a very profitable business.  Oddly, although he was eligible for a lifetime CCW (even in the NY area), he did not want to carry.

I never understood that, but that's the way he felt about it and to each his own.

RIP, Cuz.

Terry

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:17:38 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.