Author Topic: S&W being sued for their guns not having "Smart" gun tech in murder case  (Read 1643 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
They're trying to use an agreement between S&W & the Clinton admin to implement "Smart" gun tech by 2003. I will admit my knowledge about that agreement is a bit fuzzy but on the surface from what little I know they may have a somewhat of a case if looked at a certain way. I said somewhat!

A statement of claim filed in a Canadian court alleges the gunmaker was negligent for not incorporating “smart gun” technology in the firearm used in the shooting.
    The statement of claim filed at the Ontario Superior Court on Monday says Smith & Wesson had agreed to incorporate smart gun technology into its new weapons in 2003, and was aware that thousands of handguns are stolen each year.

The 40 series, introduced in 2005, did not include that technology. That includes the M&P40 semi-automatic pistol used by the shooter, Faisal Hussain. …

“[The] defendant knew the handgun was an ultra-hazardous product that posed a substantial likelihood of harm to the public,” says the statement of claim.

“In the circumstances, [the] defendant owed a duty to the Class to ensure that any handguns it made available to the Canadian market were designed and manufactured to implement technology that would prevent unauthorised users from causing the very type of harm and injury suffered by the Class members.”

Canadian Shooting Victims Sue Smith & Wesson for Failure to Install ‘Smart Gun’ Technology
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/canadian-shooting-victims-sue-smith-wesson-for-failure-to-install-smart-gun-technology/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: S&W being sued for their guns not having "Smart" gun tech in murder case
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this proceeds in Canadian courts.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this proceeds in Canadian courts.
Canadian lawsuit?

IMHO (and I'm not a lawyer or judge) only S&W assets in Canada should be at risk.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
Canadian lawsuit?

IMHO (and I'm not a lawyer or judge) only S&W assets in Canada should be at risk.
That is a question.  I have no idea if S&W even does any official business in Canada.  Most US manufacturers sell through distributors so I don't if S&W is even the actual exporter.  Of course, they might do business selling non-gun products.

Is S&W still obligated by that agreement over 20 years later with different owners and management?  It all depends on Canadian courts which I have no idea about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
I suspect the agreement was full of weasel words that committed S&W to incorporating smart gun technology by 2003 if it became technically and economically feasible to do so -- which it didn't. The technology still hasn't been proven to be reliable. I don't think the case will go anywhere, but it should be interesting to watch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
From the article:

The agreement committed Smith & Wesson to a variety of steps the Clintonistas claimed would reduce “gun violence,” including the following:

Two percent of annual firearms revenues will be dedicated to the development of authorized user technology that can limit a gun’s use to its proper owner. Authorized user technology will be included in all new firearm models within 36 months.

That’s the 2003 date referenced in the Canadian complaint.

The Clinton administration agreement became, in effect, moot with the passage of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2006. That law protects gun makers from liability when their lawfully-sold products are used to commit crimes.

The PLCAA, however, doesn’t apply north of the border.

Being an old geezer, I remember the feeling of betrayal when S&W signed that agreement.  But even if they had invested the zillions of dollars to make a functional smart gun, wouldn't the dealer, and thus the thief who stole it, become the "authorized user"?  So how would that have changed anything?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_M%26P#Users

This article shows 5 Canadian law enforcement agencies that use the M&P.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Wasn't that when S&W was owned by a British company?

If that's the case, then that one of the parties to the "contract" was incompetent to enter contracts regarding firearms.

Maybe even both of them.  >:D >:D

:rofl:

I noted the "somewhat" in the OP, but there's no limit to how lawyers can twist stuff around, Canadian or American.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_M%26P#Users

This article shows 5 Canadian law enforcement agencies that use the M&P.
But who sells them in Canada?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »
I apologize for not acknowledging that you asked that question in your previous post.  I don't know. My new boss used to work for S&W, I can ask him, but I won't see him again until January.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
If you can get an answer please do.  Honestly, I don't know if S&W sells directly to police departments here. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
Which is what happens when you call the Feds.---Han Solo.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
I still don't trust S&W after the 2000 Clinton agreement which sold us out.   :mad:

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
I finally talked to my boss. He was a live fire tester for S&W for years. He's like 99% sure they sell directly to Canadian LE, no middleman.