Author Topic: Military-Grade Arsenal Found In Bloomington, MN Home  (Read 7356 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Military-Grade Arsenal Found In Bloomington, MN Home
« on: February 27, 2007, 08:07:05 AM »
Military-Grade Arsenal Found In Bloomington Home

(WCCO) Bloomington, Minn. Police found a number of military-grade weapons at a home in Bloomington, Minn.

The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was called in to a home on the 1700 block of 84th Street West to retrieve the weapons. They are also receiving assistance from the FBI, the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Bloomington Police Bomb Squad.

Authorities found detonation cords, blasting caps and some type of military explosive, as well as about a dozen semiautomatic weapons and ammunition.

"It's merely precautionary at this time," said Bloomington Police Commander Kevin Hinrichs. "It is a fairly dangerous situation, but we have a good handle on it. And at this time there doesn't appear to be any danger of any explosions."

Five nearby homes have been evacuated. Some neighbors said the man living in the home searched has been living there for some time and was "a gun enthusiast" and an avid collector.

"They are good neighbors. We shoveled their driveway," said neighbor Nettie Beckler. "I guess I am in shock by all this."

The man who lives at the house regularly attends gun and knife shows, often selling knives and military clothing, according to Jim Wright, owner of Crocodile Productions Inc., which stages many of the shows. He described the man as "aboveboard" in his dealings.

"I'd be shocked if he did anything illegal," Wright said.

The homeowner was taken into custody by Hennepin County authorities on probable cause of possessing explosive devices.

Some of the items retrieved from the house have been referred to as military materials. Authorities have called Army officials from Wisconsin to the scene.
source

Here's what I've found out, this man was a legitimate FFL Dealer. He also used to grind stumps and it appears that he had a permit for the explosives. Is the media creating the news because it's a slow news day?? Who turned in this person and why?? Was it some anti-gun person in the neighborhood that was being a little too nosey and had nefarious intentions ?? What ever happened to the five "w's"?? (Who, what, when, where, and why) I'm really getting perturbed with the rampant bias in the media. An "arsenal" consists of 12 guns?? WTF?!?!?!  What do y'all think??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Military-Grade Arsenal Found In Bloomington, MN Home
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:17:50 AM »
Only a dozen?

And for an FFL, that could be $1200 worth of SKS's.

Woo.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:30:35 AM »
Why were the cops in the home in the first place?

On what basis was a warrant issued?

WAS a warrant issued?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Thor, where did you get your info? 

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »
Some from WCCO.com and a little bit more from my local board, this thread: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4407
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:26 AM »
Jeebus!

Wait'll I take my dirt nap and they find my stash of toys before the estate lawyer divvies them up. 

I can see the headlines now,"Huge military weapons and dangerous ammunition cache found in rural Wisconsin home".

Vs. what it should read,"Lifetime collector and FFL holder leaves beneficiaries and NRA museum with nest egg of 200+ firearms, 20K rounds of ammunition, and extensive reloading capabilities".

Oh, Vey!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »
Here's another story, but similar, from the same part of the country, but a week older. What's going on in northern Minnesota?

Bob

Man Arrested On Drug Charges Had 220 Firearms

Caroline Lowe
Reporting

(WCCO) Blaine, Minn. When Blaine Police arrested a local gun dealer on cocaine and marijuana charges, they also seized more than 220 firearms from his business.

Jeffrey Kempf had a larger arsenal than the one used by a fleet of 55 officers on the Blaine force. The guns were mostly automatic, military grade firearms. Some had silencers.

Kempf sold the weapons at his firing range in Blaine where he was a licensed, federal firearms dealer.

Police Chief Dave Johnson wanted to destroy all the guns, once Kempf's criminal case on drug charges was complete.

"It is always a concern when you've got weapons of that nature when the sole purpose is killing," he said.

Since Blaine investigators were not able to tie the guns to Kempf's drug use, Kempf's business, also owned by his wife, was allowed to sell the confiscated guns to an Oklahoma-licensed dealer.

Kempf is now in a Minnesota prison on the drug charges. As a convicted felon, he will not be able to own a gun or have a federal dealer's license once he is released.

His attorney, Robert Miller, argues an Anoka court was right in rejecting the police department's efforts to keep his client's guns.

"These guns were there as a part of his legitimate business, and that was the case from the very beginning. And I think the law serves the public fine in that respect," said Miller. "He was in a legal business, apart from possessing drugs."

Chief Johnson argues that guns and drugs are a dangerous mix. He hopes the Minnesota legislature will expand the state's forfeiture laws to cover cases like the one in Blaine when firearms are found close to illegal drugs.

Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »
Police Chief Dave Johnson wanted to destroy all the guns, once Kempf's criminal case on drug charges was complete.

"It is always a concern when you've got weapons of that nature when the sole purpose is killing," he said.

I really, really despise cops like this. Is HIS gun he wears just for killing?  angry

Chief Johnson argues that guns and drugs are a dangerous mix. He hopes the Minnesota legislature will expand the state's forfeiture laws to cover cases like the one in Blaine when firearms are found close to illegal drugs.

Ah, right. So all they have to do is drop a bit of pot or a nickel bag on your premises, "find" it, and there go your guns. Just like they planted and "found" drugs in the home of that elderly woman that the no-knock raid killed.

Glad I don't live in Minnesota. Sounds like it's becoming Massachusetts or Illinois.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »

Read as:  We could have armed our entire department without having to buy anything from anyone.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »

Read as:  We could have armed our entire department without having to buy anything from anyone.

Plus have some nice relics decorating the den of the chief, captain and commissioner, etc...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
Military-grade?  What does that mean?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
You know--those super-dangerous weapons that kill anyone in sight. Unrelated to those peaceful .30-06 hunter's rifles that are all warm and cuddly.  rolleyes

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »
OK.  That's why my only rifle is a VZ24.  At least I know that wasn't made for killing people.   smiley

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »

Any gun that's black.

Bob
Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »
Dang, then that means my FAL is not military grade, since its green.  *SOB*
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »

I really, really despise cops like this. Is HIS gun he wears just for killing?  angry

Ah, right. So all they have to do is drop a bit of pot or a nickel bag on your premises, "find" it, and there go your guns. Just like they planted and "found" drugs in the home of that elderly woman that the no-knock raid killed.

Glad I don't live in Minnesota. Sounds like it's becoming Massachusetts or Illinois.

Minnesota DOES have some of the best carry laws in the nation, excluding Vermont and possibly Alaska. And, during the AWB of 1994, one could still purchase a "military style weapon", (aka: assault weapon, but I LOATHE that term), but was required to obtain a permit to purchase for those & pistols.(Free, good for a year and as many as one could afford) Unfortunately, we have some anti-gun folks and they are a very vocal minority. Most of the cops lean towards the anti-gun side, at least the higher ranking ones.

USMILNET

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 03:33:28 PM »
Minnesota DOES have some of the best carry laws in the nation, excluding Vermont and possibly Alaska.
How does Minnesota surpass many other states in CCW?
Don

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »
Can carry just about anywhere, including churches, banks, and bars. If we carry past a sign, it's a trespass violation and that's only if someone notices and asks us to leave and we refuse. We also have no requirement to carry concealed, however, most of us prefer that method.  More can be found on my local gun board, in particular, the reference section. http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/index.php
We don't have the "Stand Your Ground" legislation passed yet, but MN isn't too bad, especially considering it's a Blue State. When I look at my home state's carry laws, (Texas), MN shines!!

USMILNET

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »
The first guy with the explosives will probably get tagged for improper storage.  Depending on the type of explosives, most cannot be stored in a single family dwelling, even with a proper magazine.
The guns were just gravy for the Feds.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »
Thor,

Gotta agree, MN CCW laws are pretty good.  I, too, was surprised at how restrictive Texas is.
Don

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »
Can carry just about anywhere, including churches, banks, and bars. If we carry past a sign, it's a trespass violation and that's only if someone notices and asks us to leave and we refuse. We also have no requirement to carry concealed, however, most of us prefer that method.  More can be found on my local gun board, in particular, the reference section. http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/index.php
We don't have the "Stand Your Ground" legislation passed yet, but MN isn't too bad, especially considering it's a Blue State. When I look at my home state's carry laws, (Texas), MN shines!!

I think New Hampshire's are a bit better, since all that is allowed...and I've never once, ever, seen a "no weapons" sign on any mall or business. Plus it's shall-issue, $10 for three years, and the only requirement is that you're not a felon.

And there's no vocal anti anything. Anytime there's a shooting, they talk about cleaning criminals out of an area, nothing about guns. I like that.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 05:32:56 AM »
Manedwolf, ours is $100 for five years and MN is a "shall issue" state now. I forgot about NH. (isn't that just part of Vermont, anyways??)   grin

That does bug me about the media and some of the so-called leadership, they always seem to place the blame on the guns, NOT the criminals. Minneapolis wants to be another Chicago, I think. Thank God for the burbanites and the out-staters!!!

USMILNET

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
Manedwolf, ours is $100 for five years and MN is a "shall issue" state now. I forgot about NH. (isn't that just part of Vermont, anyways??)   grin

That does bug me about the media and some of the so-called leadership, they always seem to place the blame on the guns, NOT the criminals. Minneapolis wants to be another Chicago, I think. Thank God for the burbanites and the out-staters!!!

Bah. Vermont produces syrup and Ben & Jerry's ice cream. New Hampshire produces not only syrup, but SIG firearms and nuclear subs. Which is cooler? Wink

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 07:57:06 AM »
Guns are far cooler than ice cream.  I don't have to brush and floss after using guns. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »
Yeah, but you do have to wash the Sig off your hands after shooting one of those.   Tongue