Author Topic: 2019 retirement account performance  (Read 776 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
2019 retirement account performance
« on: December 31, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
In comparison to last year's awful performance of 1.4% gain, 2019 has been better to the retirement account.  The beginning and end year figures are not applicable this year, since I moved the primary 401(k) to an IRA and then spent $ 202,000 out of it to buy my single premium deferred income annuity. But looking at the IRA, I see that my 54% equities/44% bonds/2% cash portfolio cleared 8.54% from June to December.  TRRBX was at 8.68%, VBIAX was at 9.88%, and VWINX was at 5.24%.  Something to ponder as I reach retirement is if I want to consolidate down to a one-fund portfolio. This will make rebalancing and withdrawals easy.  So will I want to go with the classic 60/40 fixed approach of VBIAX, or go with the glide path of increasing bond percentage as I age with TRRBX?  Lots of arguments on Bogleheads for either one being a good choice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:09:09 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: 2019 retirement account performance
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
This year is the first year that my retirement savings made more money than my salary. Feels good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
This year is the first year that my retirement savings made more money than my salary. Feels good.

26.72% ROR for 2019 feels damn good. A lot better than the 11.07% loss in 2018.

I'm probably pretty close on matching my salary on all my investment increases for 2019. I hope we get another few quarter of significant increases.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
22.54% for me.  I can live with that.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:59 PM »
About 57% for the year on the account, over 97% on the Target stock portion.  Darn good year.

edited to correct the figures.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:43:05 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 11:41:16 PM »
+36.46% for the 401k.  Need to check on the IRAs.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »
20.6% in my 401(k).  :)  At the beginning of the year I switched my asset allocation to 35% bonds, 65% equities, and 10% very-short-term bonds (cash, basically) because I'm on the verge of retirement, so I am very pleased with that.  I haven't checked my IRAs, but they are so small compared to the 401 it doesn't matter much (they are up nicely for the year, that's all I care)

I need to generate a 2 year statement now and see how much of that's just a rebound from the market correction at the end of 2018 (I was 80% equities then)  But since I changed my allocation I won't really be able to get a clear picture.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
I just use TSP and I moved a bunch of stuff around so I can't get a clear picture other than the fact my earnings made more money than my contributions by a little bit. I am hoping to put another 15-20k or so on the positive side before I retire at the end of May between contributions and earnings.

bob
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:15:02 PM by BobR »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
I had a very decent year. Not sure what it turned out to be; I'll have to look into that, but I'm thinking somewhere in the 15 to 20 percent range. It likely would have been more but about 18 months ago I started shifting my strategy from EFF YOU, MARKET MONKEYS, I CAN OUT RISK THE WORST OF YOU! to a more moderate YOU DON'T SCARE ME, YOU BITCHES, BUT I'M GOING TO BE PRUDENT ABOUT THIS! investment strategy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »
I'm pretty much 90% in "retirement allocation" at this point, where I'm expecting no more than 6-8% so that I can do my "4% rule" spending.

This year was still great even for conservative investing. TSP looks to be at 11.5% (thanks to the C&S funds, which pulled in 20-25%), Vanguard at 13%. Plus most of my individual stocks right now at Ameritrade are dividend stocks in the 4-8% range, so even those individual stocks that went down or stayed the same paid me nice dividends. I'm currently only taking dividends and capitol gains from my accounts for my "retirement salary" and letting the rest ride, so I'm pretty happy.

I could have done better if not percentage-wise, real dollar-wise because I have a lot of cash I'm keeping sidelined because I keep expecting a rather big "what goes up must come down" situation. As much as I have like this ridiculous rise, at some point we have to pay for it. I probably had a big opportunity loss with the sidelined cash though. However, with my current age and situation, I reckon I can live with it. If  I was 30 instead of 60, I'd be kicking myself in the ass though.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
Update, TSP just posted my 12mo returns at 16.2%, so even better, considering it's my most conservative blend. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."