Author Topic: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq  (Read 16452 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:50:34 PM »
I note he was killed at the airport rather than his plane shot down.  Also, the militia guys were targeted also.  Seems to be a high profile action to send a message.  Were they involved in the rocket attacks and the "protest" against our embassy?

We will see where this goes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »
Really getting our money's worth out of that 2001 AUMF.   =|
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:18:16 AM »
Really getting our money's worth out of that 2001 AUMF.   =|

While that one is horribly abused, I'm fairly certain the War Powers Resolution of 1973 is sufficient to deal with a response to a provocation like attacking our embassy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
In response crude oil is skyrocketing, as is home heating oil and gasoline.

WTI is up $2.45 a barrel, and I expect it to go a lot higher, and wholesale gasoline is up 6.4 cents a gallon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
In response crude oil is skyrocketing, as is home heating oil and gasoline.

WTI is up $2.45 a barrel, and I expect it to go a lot higher, and wholesale gasoline is up 6.4 cents a gallon.

All that cash rolling into American frackers....

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »
I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. I'm sure I've heard Soleimani's name in the past, but it never stuck, so  I really know nothing about anything he has done previous to his death. I think I can be reasonably sure that Trump didn't know much about him either, and that this all came about via advisors.

Maybe it's a good thing to have done, maybe not. I can't help but think there will be many retaliatory acts by either Iran, their surrogates, or just amateur pro-Iranian goat herders looking for "vengeance".

EDIT: I'll also add - I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for this guy to die of a "heart attack" versus the high profile blowing up thing. Just seems like there's a high potential for martyr status.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:02:11 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
I think I can be reasonably sure that Trump didn't know much about him either, and that this all came about via advisors.

You never know, maybe after this interview he hit the books and did some research on the guy.  :laugh:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-hugh-hewitt-quds-kurds
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
While that one is horribly abused, I'm fairly certain the War Powers Resolution of 1973 is sufficient to deal with a response to a provocation like attacking our embassy.

Attacking an embassy is not nothing.

The war drums against Iran were getting louder and louder though, even previous to the most recent events.

It just feels like events are bring manipulated in such a way where war with Iran happens.

Did Iraq roll up any of the embassy attackers and confirm they were actually connected to Hezbollah/Iran etc.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
Some of the dems are upset Trump didn't "consult" with congress first.
If they feel that way then maybe they should call for his impeachment. Oh wait...
Anyone care to guess how long that would have taken and I'm pretty sure Schiff would have publicly run his mouth off about what we were planning on doing even if Soleimani stayed in one spot long enough.

“But Congress didn’t authorize and American people don’t want a war with Iran. All steps must now be taken to protect our forces against the almost inevitable escalation and increased risk.”

Schiff’s statement was echoed by other Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

“Tonight’s airstrike risks provoking further dangerous escalation of violence," Pelosi said in a statement. "America – and the world – cannot afford to have tensions escalate to the point of no return."

She added that the strike was undertaken without consultation with Congress. "Congress must be immediately briefed on this serious situation and on the next steps under consideration by the Administration," she said.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/adam-schiff-says-americans-dont-want-war-with-iran-after-airstrike-that-killed-iranian-general
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:13 AM »

EDIT: I'll also add - I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for this guy to die of a "heart attack" versus the high profile blowing up thing. Just seems like there's a high potential for martyr status.

I suspect the President wanted to send a clear message.  A couple of Hellfires raining down upon you after you disembark your plane would certainly do so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
Well I would say his heart definitely gave out.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
I suspect the President wanted to send a clear message.  A couple of Hellfires raining down upon you after you disembark your plane would certainly do so.

No, I get that. I'm just wondering if the Russian method might not have been better in the long run.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. I'm sure I've heard Soleimani's name in the past, but it never stuck, so  I really know nothing about anything he has done previous to his death. I think I can be reasonably sure that Trump didn't know much about him either, and that this all came about via advisors.

Maybe it's a good thing to have done, maybe not. I can't help but think there will be many retaliatory acts by either Iran, their surrogates, or just amateur pro-Iranian goat herders looking for "vengeance".

Ben, I think a "heart attack" wouldn't have sent as clear a message.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
The leftists are really upset.

That's usually a good sign.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
Some of the dems are upset Trump didn't "consult" with congress first.
What, so they could have issued a warning to Soleimani? Because you know that's what would have happened, even if it was by press conference, facebook post, or twitter.

As for the ramifications of killing a terrorist leader - didn't Israel somewhat tamp down instances of terrorism some years back by targeting numerous terrorist leaders?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
Perspective:

Since this was started by Iran, what we did was retaliation. Anything further Iran does is not retaliation. It will be escalation.  :old:

And, what Stolthemoni was doing was likely under orders from the Supreme Leader Khamenei. I would expect escalation while the powers that be still be.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
I read he was in a car, travelling with all the other militant leaders who were killed. (Including the #2 for Hezbollah, nice!).

I was hoping they killed them all at the plane and destroyed the plane, too. Just as an extra bonus. Ah, well.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
No, I get that. I'm just wondering if the Russian method might not have been better in the long run.

I wonder if we have the personnel and technological assets to carry those sort of actions out.  The Soviets and then the Russians maintained a robust chemical, radiological and biological offensive program, as witness the various chemical and radiological poisonings in recent years.  Theoretically the US renounced those programs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 11:23:14 AM »

Yep

Dear #Iran, The USA has disrespected your country, your flag, your people. 52% of us humbly apologize. We want peace with your nation. We are being held hostage by a terrorist regime. We do not know how to escape. Please do not kill us. #Soleimani pic.twitter.com/YE54CqGCdr

— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) January 3, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/01/03/you-do-not-apologize-for-me-rose-mcgowen-dragged-like-weve-never-seen-dragged-before-for-off-the-charts-insane-dear-iran-tweet/
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »
Did Iraq roll up any of the embassy attackers and confirm they were actually connected to Hezbollah/Iran etc.
Even if they had, would you believe them?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
Dear #Iran, The USA has disrespected your country, your flag, your people. 52% of us humbly apologize. We want peace with your nation. We are being held hostage by a terrorist regime. We do not know how to escape. Please do not kill us. #Soleimani pic.twitter.com/YE54CqGCdr

— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) January 3, 2020

Well, according to Hillary Clinton I'm deplorable. According to Rose McGowan I'm a 48 percenter (since I certainly do not apologize to Iran, humbly or otherwise, for blowing up your terrorist-in-chief). But I'm confused -- does this mean I have sunk lower in the societal order, or have I risen?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 11:49:43 AM »
Even if they had, would you believe them?

Truth being the first casualty of war ...

Your point is well taken.

It's hard for me to be very upset about this assassination, Trump has been hawkish towards Iran at least since he started his presidential campaign.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 12:07:07 PM »

Meh.  It's all standard contrarian politics.
Trump accused Obama of wanting to start a war with Iran for re-election purposes in tweets back then.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”