Author Topic: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq  (Read 16453 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Top Iranian general assassinated in Iraq
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
Just flashed on the news that the 82nd Airborne is heading to the Middle East.

Meanwhile, at CNN, the whining is of epic proportions. This analyst thinks that the strike has now made all Americans targets...

Gee, I wonder what she thought Americans were before? Stupidest damned thing I've ever heard, really, from the "news" network that brings you more bullshit than any other...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/01/03/americans-targets-iran-vinograd-sot-newday-vpx.cnn
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Meh.  It's all standard contrarian politics.
Trump accused Obama of wanting to start a war with Iran for re-election purposes in tweets back then.

I wonder if, like helping the economy and reshaping the judiciary, this will be another thing that Obama tried to do and Trump succeeds at.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:05 PM »
I'm thinking that assassinating lots terrorist leaders is far preferable to open war.

That is what LawDog taught me.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
Just flashed on the news that the 82nd Airborne is heading to the Middle East.

For clarity:  We didn't deploy the whole Division.  We sent the Immediate Response Force (1 battalion, approx 700 paratroopers.  What used to be called the "Global Response Force").  We are mobilizing the rest of that Battalions parent Brigade (that's the 4000 troops number you see thrown around the news).  The 82nd Airborne Division has two more full Infantry Brigades, a Combat Aviation Brigade, a Sustainment Brigade, and Division Headquarters that aren't coming*.  Still, an extra IBCT (if the whole thing comes) is significant combat power.

*There are some Aerial Delivery units attached to the 82nd that were already here if you start checking which units are deployed.  

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »
I'm thinking that assassinating lots terrorist leaders is far preferable to open war.

That is what LawDog taught me.

Don't forget: The enemy get's a vote.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried some sort of suicide attack on Trump. They know places that he frequents such as golf courses
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
Meh.  It's all standard contrarian politics.
Trump accused Obama of wanting to start a war with Iran for re-election purposes in tweets back then.

Trump said that in an old interview as well, listened to a bit of it this morning.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »
"For clarity:  We didn't deploy the whole Division."

WHAT? CNN inferred that the who division would be going! I just don't understand how they could get something like this so wrong!

Oh... CNN... never mind... +
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »
I wonder if, like helping the economy and reshaping the judiciary, this will be another thing that Obama tried to do and Trump succeeds at.
I'm in a wait and see what happens holding pattern.

Obviously, as I've posted ad nauseam, I want us out of the ME. This doesn't seem to be conducive to us disengaging.

These are geopolitical moves that look to me to have more than six degrees of separation from our national interest.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »
I went to bed last night after reading some Book of Faces posts about how some people were afraid they would wake up this morning and we would be at war with Iran. Well IMO we have been at war with Iran since 1979 (or at least they have been at war with us) so I guess they did wake up and we were at war. I try to get people to understand by pointing them at Operation Ernest Will and Operation Praying Mantis, I use those because I lived them.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
God, the hand wringing and whining from the left is getting close to being epic. CNN is getting to the point where they're going to give themselves a fit of the vapors.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
God, the hand wringing and whining from the left is getting close to being epic. CNN is getting to the point where they're going to give themselves a fit of the vapors.

IMPEACH!!!

Have they accused Trump of acting under Russian orders yet?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
Guess who is going to stop Trump

So what if Trump wants war, knows this leads to war and needs the distraction?

Real question is, will those with congressional authority step in and stop him? I know I will. https://t.co/Fj9TMossEW

— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 3, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/01/03/sorry-about-your-bff-ilhan-omar-gets-all-big-and-bad-after-soleimani-death-claiming-shell-stop-trump-and-it-goes-so-wrong/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »
Anyone seen what the Iraqi government's reaction to a strike at their airport was?  Did they approve it beforehand?  Or condone it after the fact?  Or are they upset about it?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »
They're on it, sounds like they got Trump. He was eating ice cream!

President Trump dined on ice cream as news of the airstrike broke https://t.co/iP5fbnSfDH pic.twitter.com/SmrqI6zN0Y

— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 3, 2020
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »
But wait there's more

An airstrike Friday hit two cars carrying members of an Iran-backed militia north of Iraq's capital, Baghdad, killing five people, an Iraqi official told The Associated Press.

The official added that the identities of those killed were not immediately known. It was not immediately clear who launched the strike, but a U.S. official told AP the attack was not an American military attack.

Airstrike kills 5 members of Iran-backed militia, Iraq official says
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iraq-airstrike-iran-backed-militia-official
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
Round Blow up the usual suspects.

I approve of this, a pox on them all.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
nm
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »
Dan Crenshaw put out a statement about the killing yesterday.  He can be a war hawk I guess.
https://crenshaw.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=194
“Tonight’s strike was historic and America is better off because of it. One of the world’s most pre-eminent sponsors of terrorism, Qassem Soleimani, is now dead. He spent more than 20 years spreading death and destruction across the region, to include engineering and providing IEDs to Shia militias in Iraq that were used to kill hundreds of Americans.

“Abu Mahdi al Muhandis was also killed. He was the leader of Kata’ib Hezbollah, an Iraqi militia beholden to the Iranian Quds Force and responsible for attacks against Americans, most recently the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad on December 31, 2019.

“While this swift and decisive act is welcome news, we must also prepare for a response from a desperate and embattled Iranian regime. Now is the time we must come together as a country to confront Iranian aggression and defend the tenets of freedom, like we always have. This should be the first item of business for Congress in the new year. Domestically, we must be unified and objective as we address the reality of the current situation and not look to lay blame for the past. Globally, we must be a leader and support our allies who are on the front lines and directly face the Iranian threat.

“Tonight is a good night for America, Iraq and the region.”
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1212955403077767168?s=19
This has video supposedly showing Iraqis celebrating the death of the Iranian general.  I have seen this talked about elsewhere. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Anyone seen what the Iraqi government's reaction to a strike at their airport was?  Did they approve it beforehand?  Or condone it after the fact?  Or are they upset about it?

That last one.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/soleimani-death-aftermath

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
Still not knowing enough to give a valid opinion, it seems there are a lot of Iranians that are happy about his getting smoked.

As far as affecting global oil and economies, I saw that an hour before the market opened on Friday, DOW futures were ~-400. Market ended up closing about 200 down. My BP stock barely budged up a few cents. On the other hand, Aerovironment jumped almost five bucks. Seems like warfighting was more of a concern from the money side than was oil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »
Babylon Bee hits a good one again.
https://babylonbee.com/news/john-bolton-cant-believe-he-quit-just-before-war-with-iran
John Bolton Can't Believe He Left White House Just Before War With Iran

Not really one good sentence to quote, but the short story is clever.   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 08:44:50 AM »
Still not knowing enough to give a valid opinion, it seems there are a lot of Iranians that are happy about his getting smoked.

As far as affecting global oil and economies, I saw that an hour before the market opened on Friday, DOW futures were ~-400. Market ended up closing about 200 down. My BP stock barely budged up a few cents. On the other hand, Aerovironment jumped almost five bucks. Seems like warfighting was more of a concern from the money side than was oil.

The oil market seems to go into a panic every time someone passes gas in the ME.  If it lasts more than 2 weeks, we will see.  Of course, I would be curious to see who is making money off the market instability.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/people-who-tweet-in-support-of-foreign-wars-to-be-automatically-enlisted-in-armed-forces
Report: Internet Users Who Call For Attacking Other Countries Will Now Be Enlisted In The Military Automatically

Strangely, as soon as the policy was implemented, 99% of saber-rattling suddenly ceased.

I will say if this guy did half of what people say, he had it coming.  Along with the fact he seemed to be coordinating attacks on US and allied forces from Iran.  However, I can't stop thinking that most of the people I see commenting had no idea who the guy was 2 weeks ago.  So I get tired of seeing some of these people beating the war drums. 

IMO, this is the ME.  The best way to avoid war is to show strength and demonstrate your determination to exterminate anyone who opposes you.  I think if we try to be diplomatic and nice like some of these leftists want, we WILL end up in a war.  At this point, I have to trust Trump to know how far to push it.