Author Topic: Costco Motor Oil  (Read 2743 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Costco Motor Oil
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
I'm guessing this is new, and I've not seen it in my Costco, but they are apparently selling Kirkland motor oil now.

I'm curious on who's making it for them and what the manufacturer equivalent is (e.g., if it's Mobil, is it regular Mobil 1 or the super duper Mobil 1?).

https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html?brand=kirkland-signature&refine=ads_fbrand_ntk_cs%253A%2522Kirkland%2BSignature%2522|
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Costco Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
I don't know about Costco Oil, but I buy Supertech Synthetic from Wal-Mart, it's way cheaper than Mobil 1 and offers the same warranties. Supertech is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
Google says Kirkland oil is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc. also.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
The API oil specs are so strict now that there's really no bad oil anymore. Unless you think they are cheating on their API certification then the cheapest oils should be just as good as the brand names.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Since we have the oil changed in the cars during routine service, the only oil I buy anymore is for the motorcycle, and my gallon jug of Rotella Synthetic from Walmart will probably outlast me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
Google says Kirkland oil is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc. also.

Yep, same as Amazon Basics oil. Should be really good stuff.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
I'm guessing this is new, and I've not seen it in my Costco, but they are apparently selling Kirkland motor oil now.

I'm curious on who's making it for them and what the manufacturer equivalent is (e.g., if it's Mobil, is it regular Mobil 1 or the super duper Mobil 1?).

https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html?brand=kirkland-signature&refine=ads_fbrand_ntk_cs%253A%2522Kirkland%2BSignature%2522|

Holy wow. That's a great price! 10qts for $30...

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »
I don't know about Costco Oil, but I buy Supertech Synthetic from Wal-Mart, it's way cheaper than Mobil 1 and offers the same warranties. Supertech is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc.

From what I gather from various motorcycle forums, Mobil 1 is sort of overrated... However, in my experience, it works pretty good in my subaru, I get 7500 miles without any issues with their 0W20. When I have it changed at Jiffy Lube, whatever synthetic they use tends to burn a quart at about 5000 miles.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
What year is your Scooby?

There was a class action lawsuit against Subaru because of the oil burn rates of the engine design that they had come out with around 2008, IIRC.

Mine is one of the burners, and it's a 2012.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
What year is your Scooby?

There was a class action lawsuit against Subaru because of the oil burn rates of the engine design that they had come out with around 2008, IIRC.

Mine is one of the burners, and it's a 2012.

2014. I've heard that earlier years and up to 2014 can be pretty bad. With known quality oil, it barely uses any oil, with whatever garbage they put in at Jiffy lube, it'll burn a quart between changes, so I'm led to believe that its an oil problem with mine.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
From what I gather from various motorcycle forums, Mobil 1 is sort of overrated...

I always used it in all my previous vehicles, but for my current vehicles,  I take the 4Runner to the dealer, and on my F150 Ecoboost, I've been using Penzoil Platinum rather than Mobil 1, based on info in the F150 forums regarding the ecoboosts and oil breakdown.

Kinda why I was wondering if the Costco oil is "Mobil 1" quality, or equivalent to a newer version of Mobil 1, which is supposed to be the same as Penzoil Platinum. Because, yeah, it's a great price and I wouldn't mind using it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
I use full synthetic oil but believe that filter choice and interval is atleast as critical. I been going 8k on the oil with a filter change at 4K miles. The topside canister type filter on the jeep makes it super easy to change the filter only and the oil looks like new again a day later. I might should opt for one of those lab eval services sometime.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »
I really need to get into the habit of changing the filter on my Forester midway between oil changes. It also has a very easily accessed filter right on top of the engine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »
I'm of the opinion that any oil of the appropriate grade and viscosity is perfectly adequate.  I run Walmart Supertech oil, and change it on schedule.

The bodyshell of my car will have rusted to nothing, or some kid will T-bone it long before I have oil related mechanical failure.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
Changing the filter in between oil changes is an interesting thought. On my F150, I use the oil meter, so routinely go to around 7500 miles in between changes. I'm actually changing that one in a couple of hours here - meter is at 12% and 7100 miles. That filter sits right on top too.

I used to be an, "every 5000 miles like clockwork" guy, and in the really old days, "every 3000 miles like clockwork".

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 05:47:22 PM »
Changing the filter in between oil changes is an interesting thought. On my F150, I use the oil meter, so routinely go to around 7500 miles in between changes. I'm actually changing that one in a couple of hours here - meter is at 12% and 7100 miles. That filter sits right on top too.

I used to be an, "every 5000 miles like clockwork" guy, and in the really old days, "every 3000 miles like clockwork".
I've done it for years. My ex father in law was an airplane mechanic and he swore by it and it always made sense to me. The visual difference is obvious in the newly filtered older oil so I assume if it looks cleaner it probably is and it certainly wouldn't make it any worse.
I now use wix or Napa gold (same thing) in everything including the kubota tractor oil and and hydro.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
Check out this guy's oil tests:  Project Farm, 888K subscribers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc&list=PLjT3B9r2z3fXlvbP3tb9e056Q8O5krrCW
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
"On my F150, I use the oil meter"

WTF is an oil meter?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 08:07:11 AM »

WTF is an oil meter?

Oil meter, oil life monitor, whatever you want to call the doohickey that monitors oil life and lets you know when it's time to change the oil. I don't know exactly how they work, but mine definitely isn't a simple "clock". I have seen it fluctuate depending on my driving (e.g., long highway trips vs lots of stop and go).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »

WTF is an oil meter?

https://blog.amsoil.com/oil-life-monitors-everything-you-need-to-know/

I don't trust them, I change my oil according to the owners manual.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
"oil life monitor"

Ah! OK. I misread your post, actually. You meant the thing in the truck, not something you pull an oil sample out of the engine and run it through an analyzer.

Found an interesting article on oil life indicators...

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/car-part-longevity/oil-life-indicator.htm

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 08:12:19 AM »
https://blog.amsoil.com/oil-life-monitors-everything-you-need-to-know/

I don't trust them, I change my oil according to the owners manual.

My owners manual says to use the oil monitor.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »

My 2018 Ford Fusion workmobile says change oil by mileage.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
My van meter just pinged at 5800 miles and about 10 months. Seems legit.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »

My wife's CRV is the same way.

Barack Obama