Author Topic: Couple Baits Thieves With Unsecured Bikes And Then Beats Them With Bats..  (Read 1278 times)

MechAg94

• friend
....., But Not Everyone Thinks It’s Okay

https://www.boredpanda.com/couple-baits-thieves-with-bike-beat-them-baseball-bats/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Video recordings show that the couple had a camera trained on an unsecured bike outside their home. When the camera registered motion and it appeared that someone was trying to take the bike, the couple emerged with baseball bats and chased them into the street, sometimes seriously beating them. Police reports say this happened at least four times and none of the would-be thieves’ injuries were life-threatening, but a neighbor told local news that there were weeks when they heard the assaults happening almost every night.

It sounds like most of their neighborhood were cheering them at first, but thought they went over the line when they will posting video online.  Sounds like petty crime is pretty rampant there.  If the police and prosecutors don't take care of things, people will do so on their own. 

The other predictable part is that law enforcement is never too busy to arrest and prosecute vigilantes.  They always make time for that no matter what else is going on.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Well if the police and the courts did their job in the first place, or were allowed to, people wouldn't have to resort to doing stuff like this.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stealing isn't "an accident". You make the conscious decision to be a lowlife thief. That said, the law won't be on their side on this. no matter how much I despise thieves. They might have had a chance of no charges filed if they didn't post videos. Still, the thieves got what they deserved.

My dad lives there, and yes, plenty of crime, especially petty crime. Meth heads and 60% hispanic population means lots of illegals.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
I saw an article a while back that said they had changed the law such than it took a much higher theft amount to reach the level of a felony.  The result was rampant theft in stores as the cops can only write a ticket if they come at all.  The lack of plastic bags mean more people are walking around with cloth bags and backpacks so it is tougher to catch shoplifters.  That story didn't address theft in neighborhoods, but I figure the same thing is a problem there.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:16:55 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Stealing isn't "an accident". You make the conscious decision to be a lowlife thief. That said, the law won't be on their side on this. no matter how much I despise thieves. They might have had a chance of no charges filed if they didn't post videos. Still, the thieves got what they deserved.

My dad lives there, and yes, plenty of crime, especially petty crime. Meth heads and 60% hispanic population means lots of illegals.

The only problem I have with this is the female is active duty Navy and because of this that career is gone. They should be giving her a Navy Achievement Medal for resourcefulness and decisive action in the face of adversity.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I saw an article a while back that said they had changed the law such than it took a much higher theft amount to reach the level of a felony.  The result was rampant theft in stores as the cops can only write a ticket if they come at all.  The last of plastic bags mean more people are walking around with cloth bags and backpacks so it is tougher to catch shoplifters.  That story didn't address theft in neighborhoods, but I figure the same thing is a problem there. 

Yeah, that law has been backfiring big time. Apparently in San Fran, vehicle break-ins have been going through the roof because of it. Also these mob shoplifting events.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Not surprised that it's in California. I've heard that in many areas of California police and the "legal" system simply won't take up cases like this anymore. I believe that New York is going that way, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
Yeah, that area is well known for being a bit of a shithole when it comes to crime.

Can't really blame them for doing it (theft pisses me off to no end,) but not the wisest decision...
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Washington state law is pretty clear that you are subject to substantial criminal and civil liability if you use physical or deadly force in response to property theft. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
The problem is they posted the images online. They need to learn the third S.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Pb

• friend
Re: Couple Baits Thieves With Unsecured Bikes And Then Beats Them With Bats..
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »

Can't really blame them for doing it (theft pisses me off to no end,) but not the wisest decision...

Confronting criminal strangers with nothing but a club is a horrible idea.  You never know what they have in their pocket.  Or how many friends they have down the block.  They are lucky to be alive.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 02:08:43 PM »
I volunteer to be on the jury at their trial.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »
I saw an article a while back that said they had changed the law such than it took a much higher theft amount to reach the level of a felony.  The result was rampant theft in stores as the cops can only write a ticket if they come at all.  The last of plastic bags mean more people are walking around with cloth bags and backpacks so it is tougher to catch shoplifters.  That story didn't address theft in neighborhoods, but I figure the same thing is a problem there. 

Locally, they won't charge criminals with 'grand theft auto,' only with 'driving without the owner's permission,' with a lot of goood boys borrowing cars to go to church the same societal consequences.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »
Washington state law is pretty clear that you are subject to substantial criminal and civil liability if you use physical or deadly force in response to property theft. 
I thought I saw they were charged with using deadly force.  No one was seriously hurt. 

Isn't that the excuse people throw out when stuff is stolen?  It wasn't anything that can't be replaced so why should you be able to use deadly force?  Of course, when the thieves are not even given the small punishment they should get, they will only do it again and move up to larger thefts and more serious crime.  There is a side effect of harsh punishment.  It discourages others and keeps the repeat offenders off the streets for a little longer. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
1. Posting the videos was not smart.
2. Failing to wear a mask or otherwise obscure their identity to establish plausible deniability was likewise not smart.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
Well if the police and the courts did their job in the first place, or were allowed to, people wouldn't have to resort to doing stuff like this.

Quoted for truth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »

Isn't that the excuse people throw out when stuff is stolen?  It wasn't anything that can't be replaced so why should you be able to use deadly force?  Of course, when the thieves are not even given the small punishment they should get, they will only do it again and move up to larger thefts and more serious crime.  There is a side effect of harsh punishment.  It discourages others and keeps the repeat offenders off the streets for a little longer. 

Hence the phrase: "Pour encourager les autres."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
I volunteer to be on the jury at their trial.

Long time ago I tried to volunteer for jury duty just for the experience, not to be any kind of vigilante or anythng, and they told me they never take volunteers.

------------------

The COmmierado Constitution has this clause in Article Two, "The Bill Of Rights":

Section 3. Inalienable rights. All persons have certain natural, essential and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; of acquiring, possessing and protecting property; and of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness.

But it's just a piece of paper, so who gives a damn, and it's probably been watered down by pussyfootin' legislation.  This ain't the Wild West anymore, right?

But baiting people into thievery... mmmm, I don't know.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

REF:
https://law.justia.com/constitution/colorado/cnart2.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:06:57 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.