Author Topic: China quarantines an entire city  (Read 23689 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: China quarantines an entire city
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
As far as runs on groceries, do you think it would happen all at once nationwide?  If not, the system might still be okay. 

Amazon still has Mountain House.   =)

I don't know. I suppose it would depend on the level of the panic. Might just be regional shortages, or heck, people might actually stay smart and calm and there wouldn't be a panic or run on groceries, fuel, etc.

For freeze dried/dehydrated, instead of Mountain House, etc. I started using Auguson Farms stuff in the #10 tins. A lot of it comes with multiple smaller meals in the tin, so you don't have to worry about using the whole tin up after you open it. The stuff ranges from 10-30 year lifespans for most of it. If you hit them at one of their sales, it's a good bit cheaper than Mountain House, and you can run the gamut from meat to veggies to fruit. I needed to restock my long term supplies after I moved here, so now one whole shelf of my pantry is their #10 tins.

https://www.augasonfarms.com/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:01 PM »
Heck, if the Han Chinese were trying to engineer a genetic bioweapon, I would expect the first targets would be the Tibetans and the Uighurs.

or the Japanese, I think they are still pissed about WWII
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
The article notes that coronavirii tend to infect those older than age 12.

I wish this were true.
In one of the videos I posted several pages back showed a hospital stacking children's bodies into a body bag.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2020, 07:38:43 AM »
Store that rice and other dry stuff in the deep freeze if you have room. It will last a long time.

Storing any grain product in the freezer is a good idea simply because it's not uncommon for grains to harbor insect eggs even after cleaning and processing, or which are introduced at some other point in the process.

I had a bag of sweet sushi rice that I opened one day and discovered that I was no longer alone in my kitchen.

Storing it in the freezer eventually kills those critters. And, for some grains like brown rice, cracked wheat, or whole wheat flour, which have a fair amount of fat in them, it prevents the fat from going rancid a LOT longer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2020, 07:40:31 AM »
"gutter oil"

Holy sweet jesus...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2020, 08:35:35 AM »
Looks like a white guy on a cruise ship got it. I was just watching the interview on Fox Business, and he looks maybe in his 50s? It sounds like that packed cruise ship turned into an incubator.

Finally, at the end of the world, my misanthropy is going to pay off!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:23 AM »
"gutter oil"

Holy sweet jesus...

I saw a video on that awhile back- those people are insane.  [barf] [barf] [barf]

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »
"Looks like a white guy on a cruise ship got it."

And the left is now accusing him of cultural appropriation for catching the Kung Flu.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »
or the Japanese, I think they are still pissed about WWII

My wife would refuse to wait on Japanese at the restaurant she worked at
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »
I don't know. I suppose it would depend on the level of the panic. Might just be regional shortages, or heck, people might actually stay smart and calm and there wouldn't be a panic or run on groceries, fuel, etc.

For freeze dried/dehydrated, instead of Mountain House, etc. I started using Auguson Farms stuff in the #10 tins. A lot of it comes with multiple smaller meals in the tin, so you don't have to worry about using the whole tin up after you open it. The stuff ranges from 10-30 year lifespans for most of it. If you hit them at one of their sales, it's a good bit cheaper than Mountain House, and you can run the gamut from meat to veggies to fruit. I needed to restock my long term supplies after I moved here, so now one whole shelf of my pantry is their #10 tins.

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like some good stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
"gutter oil"

Holy sweet jesus...
I must have missed something.  What are you quoting?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »
I must have missed something.  What are you quoting?

Vikings post, number 210.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
Vikings post, number 210.

Yeah, I searched it too. I couldn't bring myself to click the links, just the summaries on Bing were enough to make me sick.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
Yeah, I searched it too. I couldn't bring myself to click the links, just the summaries on Bing were enough to make me sick.
The Wiki page gives a brief definition that gives a glimpse of how bad it might be.  So lots of people doing whatever they can to bypass food regulations to make extra profit.  

brimic

• friends
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2020, 05:27:01 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
I was able to see it a few minutes ago.  It showed a number of young girls laying on tables looking like they are sick or having breathing problems.  Some of the comments further down were thinking it was not corona virus, but from Syria for gas attacks or something.  Maybe it got deleted for that reason.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
Morality and sympathy aside, as say, an alien observer from space, I would be curious as to the global fallout if the virus itself were in fact mostly confined, but devastatingly so, to only areas with major Asian and related populations. North and South America, Europe, Africa, etc. wouldn't be getting sick to any degree with working quarantines in place, but what consequences might there be for them?

Stock market and other economic crashes for sure.

A bunch of cheap made in China stuff not available due to shipping restrictions.

I never see "product of China" food in the grocery stores (at least for staples), but  I would expect US and European (where there may be more Chinese food products) populations will make panic runs that our supply chain structure wouldn't be able to keep up with. So even foodstuff that isn't shipped in from overseas might run short just because "panic" and not being able to restock fast enough from US distribution centers.

The potential lack of PCs from China has become an issue of concern in my workplace, we go through so many of them each month.  I can see generic drugs becoming a HUGE issue if what I've read about most being produced in China being true.

Interesting times ahead.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »

Ben, what are you looking at? What I see on their web site is what I'm accustomed to from Mountain House: one pouch holds 4 or 6 or 8 servings, and that's even in their 1-person/30 day kit. I'm sure that's efficient packaging for them as the vendor, but it isn't convenient for the one person who needs to live off the stuff for a month. Where are these "multiple smaller meals" of which you speak? (Or is it "spake"?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
Ben, what are you looking at? What I see on their web site is what I'm accustomed to from Mountain House: one pouch holds 4 or 6 or 8 servings, and that's even in their 1-person/30 day kit. I'm sure that's efficient packaging for them as the vendor, but it isn't convenient for the one person who needs to live off the stuff for a month. Where are these "multiple smaller meals" of which you speak? (Or is it "spake"?)

I couldn't remember the name, but just looked it up. It's their "super cans". Not everything is available that way - I think just some entrees. However for stuff like banana chips or whatever for your fruits and whatnot, I think they can be readily vacuum sealed after opening the can, which would let you take your time eating them. Even if it's not a super can, if you're at the point you have to break open a tin, just using the plastic lid that comes with it will keep stuff fresh long enough for even just one person to eat it. You might just be eating lasagna every other day for a couple of weeks or so. :)

Example super can:

https://www.augasonfarms.com/lasagna-super-can

Again, I will stress that IMO, it's best to buy from them when they have one of their site-wide sales to get the best bang for the buck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
One of the comments said the 2nd little girl in the video had make-up on.  It does sort of look like that.  Not sure if that means anything.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2020, 08:19:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/himalayaglobal/status/1231684285599346688?s=21

That sounds staggering, though probably about right.
1.4B @ 2-3% conservatively estimated death rate yields 28-42million dead.

It could be far more with secondary effects of starvation or lack of hospital facilities.

China would have been better off if they got nuked.

They had a 2 month+ head start on the rest of us, and have been lying all along. It’ll be interesting to see if they start rebuilding or are completely wiped out in another 2 months with reinfection.

I haven’t exactly been Captain Rosey on this topic, but there is a probability things are far worse than I even considered.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
We need to send Greta to China to protest all of the pollutants China is putting in the air with their incinerators.

Barack Obama