Author Topic: Anyone know WTF they're talking about?  (Read 661 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone know WTF they're talking about?
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
I have no clue what this Gun Winner is, or how I got on their e-mail list.

I just got this message. I've not clicked the link because I'm at work, but I have NO clue what the hell they're talking about...

Any ideas? Or is it just going to send me to a downloadable copy of the Constitution/Bill of Rights?

"Hello Mike,

First, if you act fast you can download the nation’s best Concealed Carry Permit available today.

It’s important you download it ASAP as anti-gun groups are trying to get rid of it.

Fortunately, because of a legal loophole you can still download a certification for America’s top CCW gun permit from this website. (And you don’t have to leave your house to do it).

This loophole ensures you encounter:

Zero government red tape (and no exposing your private info to the Feds)…

Zero lines, classroom time or books to read…

Zero gun range time (You don’t even need to fire a gun to get this permit).

It’s as simple as visiting this site and answering a few questions (they’re simple). Plus you can complete the entire certification process online.

Download it directly to your phone or computer in as little as 30 minutes.

You don’t even need to own a gun to get this permit…

that’s why it’s been named America’s #1 Concealed Carry Permit.

31 states have agreed to accept this permit so far (it’s simply the closest and easiest path to a semi-nationally recognized permit that’s available right now).

This permit isn’t just a basic concealed carry permit either. It’s one of a kind… and is available to you No Matter what state you reside in.

→ But there is one thing you need to know…

Since this loophole makes it so easy to get this permit, pro-gun-control lawmakers are aggressively searching for ways to ban access to it.

As such, you’ll need to download your online certificate today… especially since tomorrow this fast-track site could be shut down for good.

If you ever thought about getting a concealed carry permit here is your chance to carry legally. If you think you know some “gun basics” click here and download the certification today.

Thanks for subscribing,

GunWinner Team"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
Re: Anyone know WTF they're talking about?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
I stopped reading at "download".  Delete and ignore.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
you can still download a certification for America’s top CCW gun permit from this website.

The bolded would be the rub. My guess is they have the online training/test that is all that's required for a non-resident permit in several states, I think including AZ, which covers about as many states as UT. So they are trying to get you to go to their site to take the online test that's available through many other sources at no cost. They probably want to charge you ten ducats or something to take theirs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
I'd actually sort of like to know what they're jabbering on about. Because if this mystical permit exists, I've never heard of it before.

Edit in:

Ah, OK, that makes more sense, Ben.

Maybe I'll hit it from home this evening just to see what it's about. But I'm seriously thinking I'll be moving Gunwinner to my spam list.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:06:04 AM »
I'd actually sort of like to know what they're jabbering on about. Because if this mystical permit exists, I've never heard of it before.

It does exist. I have both of them - UT and AZ.

If you have a virtual machine, you can copy and paste the link into that to see what it is without fear of viruses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
Maybe they're just going to let you download a copy of the Second Amendment and tell you that's all you need to carry concealed.  

And maybe they'll even have a link you can click on to help a Nigerian prince transfer his fortune to America.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
The bolded would be the rub. My guess is they have the online training/test that is all that's required for a non-resident permit in several states, I think including AZ, which covers about as many states as UT. So they are trying to get you to go to their site to take the online test that's available through many other sources at no cost. They probably want to charge you ten ducats or something to take theirs.

Correct. They aren't offering a permit, they're offering a class to give you a completion certificate you can use to apply for a permit. I think the permit is Virginia's, actually, IIRC.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »

Maybe I'll hit it from home this evening just to see what it's about. But I'm seriously thinking I'll be moving Gunwinner to my spam list.

Use protection.  That email sounds like a typical "OMG!!  Act now!!" sales pitch, which means their website is probably full of malware.  Run a VPN first.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
They mostly lost me at "ASAP" but I kept going cautiously.  "Loophole" cinched it.  It's spam.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
Correct. They aren't offering a permit, they're offering a class to give you a completion certificate you can use to apply for a permit. I think the permit is Virginia's, actually, IIRC.

Is VA still good for anything? That was one of the permits they touted in the first class I ever took, which certified me for non-resident in UT,FL, OR, and VA. At the time it covered a couple of popular states that the others didn't. I'm suspecting that might not be the case anymore. Even FL has gone downhill and I no longer renew that one. I'm only keeping AZ and UT as of now.

Edit: Though to cover all four of those states required classroom plus range time. I forget which states required what, but doing the equivalent of NRA defensive pistol 1 covered the strictest of them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:07:51 PM by Ben »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »
I have no clue what this Gun Winner is, or how I got on their e-mail list.

I just got this message. I've not clicked the link because I'm at work, but I have NO clue what the hell they're talking about...

Any ideas? Or is it just going to send me to a downloadable copy of the Constitution/Bill of Rights?

"Hello Mike,

First, if you act fast you can download the nation’s best Concealed Carry Permit available today.

It’s important you download it ASAP as anti-gun groups are trying to get rid of it.

blah blah blah

Thanks for subscribing,

GunWinner Team"

Reads like AI generated word salad. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 01:13:28 PM »
"Reads like AI generated word salad."

Just like your recent... posts... have...

OMG! Lee's a bot!

:rofl:

Truth of the matter is that creation of the message was probably outsourced to a home business in Wuhan, China. Lord knows they've got a lot of time on their hands right now and no place to go...