Author Topic: Texas nurse sentenced again for killing children in the hospital  (Read 577 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/us/texas-nurse-sentenced-trnd/index.html

I wonder how many children she actually murdered.  I am thankful that I have not had to deal with an 'Angel of Death' situation in my risk management career.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Texas nurse sentenced again for killing children in the hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
That is horrific.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
Doesn't Texas have the death penalty?   If any case called for it, this would be the one.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »
Jones previously served time after being convicted for the killing of 15-month-old Chelsea McClellan. She was sentenced to 99 years in prison in 1984, but would have been released in 2018 because of a state law meant to relieve prison overcrowding.
Prosecutors filed new charges in 2017. At the time, former Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said evidence showed Jones killed Joshua Sawyer with a deadly dose of Dilantin while he was a patient at Bexar County Hospital in San Antonio, now called University Hospital.
That explains things a bit to me.  She was first convicted in 1984.  They pressed new charges to avoid letting her out of prison. 

As for death penalty, there are hurdles the DA needs to jump through to get a death penalty verdict and it was likely a lot easier to get this conviction.  The automatic appeals would be expensive as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
How this should have played out -

"But I truly believe," Castro said, "that your ultimate judgment is in the next life and we are going to arrange the appointment."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams