Author Topic: Combo air fryers/toaster ovens  (Read 3320 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Combo air fryers/toaster ovens
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 11:22:27 AM »
Thread necro because SWMBO and I are joining the air fryer revolution.

I still view Air Fryer as a fancy name for a glorified mini convection oven, a way to throw premium prices on a heat gun with an insulated box. However, it seems a darned useful and convenient glorified mini convection oven. The Cosori brand seems to get consistently good reviews so went with that. Ours arrives today.

Also, finally got new valves on the propane tanks so need to get the grill cleaned up and back in operation.

Finally, need to drag out the vacuum sealer and give it a once over. SWBMO said it stopped working but pretty sure all it needs is a new seal. Plan is to make up a bunch of 2-person portions we can freeze.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2022, 11:31:33 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 11:50:08 AM »
About 20 years ago, I bought a "nice" countertop convection oven to use to make dye-sublimated coffee mugs. I hated the look so it sat.

It is now what I have used to make pizza and stuff like that for the past five or so years. I really need a new one, or a helluva lot of oven cleaner. I think I threw the rotisserie stuff away.

My air fryer came from Aldi, and I think I could live off air-fried toasted ravioli and Winking Owl cabernet...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 12:10:20 PM »
I've not used my toaster oven since October/November last year.

I need to buy some Russet potatoes and make some air fryer steak fries.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 09:24:19 PM »
We just bought an Aria unit from Home Depot on line.  It is stainless, 1800 watts strong and does air frying, convection oven, toasting, baking, broiling and dehydrating.  It is 18" wide, 15" deep and 15" high.  It is digital and does everything well.  We have baked pizza and casseroles, made cookies, air fried chicken chunks and tater tots, toasted english muffins, bread and bagels.  We like it so well we are going to put in a gas cook top and use the Aria unit and eliminate the freestanding stove.  The only thing I can see it won't do is cook a Thanksgiving turkey, but there are only 2 of us now, so someone else can cook the turkey.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 11:41:26 PM »
I've had an Emeril 360 airfry toaster oven since early November 2020 - it was on sale at Kohl's, and between rebates, coupons, Kohl's bucks, etc, it cost around $75. I had to build a cart table for it since it took up too much counter space. 

I use it - A LOT. Frozen pizza comes out just fine, it reheats pizza better than a microwave, breaded chicken, chicken kiev, air fryer steak fries, and even hot dogs come out just fine. Most ambitious item - did a 7 1/2 lb. turkey breast, cooked to perfection in only 80 minutes. Ribs didn't come out "fall off the bone tender" like they were supposed to, but so far that's the only shortfall.

Overall it's pretty good, but the presets need a little tweaking, and both the recipe book and instruction manual had typos. I had a circuit breaker pop once, but I'm not sure if it was the oven or some other glitch.

Cleaning the interior isn't fun  =(  but otherwise I like it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2022, 09:36:01 AM »
Unpacked it last night. I knew they were energy hogs, but damn. 1700w. Our kitchen only has two circuits and one includes the fridge. That means only one place to plug it in that's (mostly) guaranteed to not pop a breaker. We just can't make coffee, use the toaster, or microwave anything while the fryer is in use.

I won't have time to get it cleaned up and start cooking anything until Saturday, but I have a tray of chicken thighs thawing in anticipation.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »
Well, they do have ones that are so energy efficient that they don't use any electric at all.

They take up the same amount of room on the counter, though, which is the same thing, right?

Just google "bread box."

Dude, it's got heating elements and is designed to cook your food.

You can have low energy use or you can have timely cooking performance. You can't have both.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2022, 12:16:46 PM »
Love it so far. First test was boiled eggs. Impressed. Reheated multiple items with much success, including impressively crispy leftover tacos. SWMBO has become a salmon fiend.

The only thing that doesn't seem to do well is frozen biscuits. At lower/longer settings it will get the biscuit cooked through and browned nicely, but the outside is dry and crunchy. At higher/shorter I can get them perfectly GBD and tender on the outside, but the center remains doughy. I have one method left to try, going lower/shorter with a three or four minute rest inside the fryer after it stops. Maybe the residual temp without a running circulating fan will get them cooked through without drying them.

Oh, sausages. Tried it on uncooked brats. Cooked to perfection, including browning and crisping the casing.

Brad
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »
Can biscuits come out great. The next time I try frozen I was thinking of thawing them first because I had the same problem you did.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
My toaster/convection oven will do five slices of thick-cut bacon very nicely in about 22 minutes. That's enough for the first sammich.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2022, 12:37:34 PM »
So how many times have you popped the breaker?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2022, 12:39:55 PM »
So how many times have you popped the breaker?

None. Minor reconfiguration of appliances for circuit management and all is well.

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2022, 05:07:31 PM »
Does anyone else have one of those things you can use to trace which breakers are running which outlets? I've got one, and it works pretty well.

An electrician buddy said my house was good to go, but there are some odd groupings - for instance, the bathroom outlet and the outlet at the back of the house are on the same circuit.
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2022, 06:02:13 PM »
Are they both on a GFI breaker?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
The bathroom outlet is gfci...  So is the single outdoor outlet, and the washer outlet. I need to wire up a 220 circuit for a decent dryer eventually. When I get around to rehabbing the kitchen I'm going to redo the outlets for more/better...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2022, 07:06:21 AM »
"Does anyone else have one of those things you can use to trace which breakers are running which outlets? "

Yes. It has come in VERY handy over the years.

"An electrician buddy said my house was good to go, but there are some odd groupings - for instance, the bathroom outlet and the outlet at the back of the house are on the same circuit."

Actually, not uncommon at all.

My house was built in the mid 1970s, when GFCIs were expensive as hell. Bathrooms and outdoor circuits were required to be on them, but kitchen circuits were not at that time and they would often chain the outdoor and bathroom receptacles onto a single GFCI.

About 15 years ago I recounted here how my bathroom receptacles were working intermittently. I couldn't figure it out until I finally realized that the GFCI in the basement next to the power panel controlled the patio outlet, the half bath outlet on the first floor, and the outlets in both bathrooms on the second floor.

I then discovered that the patio outlet, which was back stab wired, had a failed clamping spring in the one backstab, so it was only intermittently making contact. I replaced that outlet, wiring it properly, and rewired the bathroom outlets properly, as well.

No power problems since.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
Joe said the wiring was all oversized for application, and we replaced all the breakers and neatened things up. I _still_ have not crawled into the attic.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 09:44:17 AM »
"Does anyone else have one of those things you can use to trace which breakers are running which outlets? "

Yes. It has come in VERY handy over the years.

Same. Has saved lots of headaches.

Whomever built our house was kind enough to not label a single breaker. Couple hours with a circuit finder fixed that.

They also did some weirdness in the end of the house with all the bedrooms. Outlets in all three bedrooms and both bathrooms are on the same circuit. Lighting, however, is broken out by room. I figure a freshly-minted trainee got his orders backwards the day he wired that end of the house. Our plan is to install discrete circuits for each bathroom, just gotta map out the circuit. If I get lucky, each room will have it own discrete feed from a common junction box in the attic. If it's all daisy chained in-wall, that's going to suck.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:17:07 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2022, 11:00:38 AM »
Same. Has saved lots of headaches.

Whomever built our house was kind enough to not label a single breaker. Couple hours with a circuit finder fixed that.

They also did some weirdness in the end of the house with all the bedrooms. Outlets in all three bedrooms and both bathrooms are on the same circuit. Lighting, however, is broken out by room. I figure a freshly-minted trainee got his orders backwards the day he wired that end of the house. Our plan is to install discrete circuits for each bathroom, just gotta map out the circuit. If I get lucky, each rooms will have it own discrete feed from a common junction box in the attic. If it's all daisy chained in-wall, that's going to suck.

Brad

Unfortunately, it will likely be daisy chained.  That's done to save copper and labor costs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
Unfortunately, it will likely be daisy chained.  That's done to save copper and labor costs.

Yeah, presuming that, but there's always that slim chance...

Brad
-HankB