Author Topic: Jussie Smollett indicted.  (Read 8937 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Jussie Smollett indicted.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
Six counts of disorderly conduct- I’m guessing he won’t be sent to the Big House.

They might as well have done six counts of jaywalking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
And that sentance would be.........?

What is a sentance?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 02:24:23 AM »
Yes.  That's the take away.  I misspelled a word.

You've cried for several posts now that Smollett's going to get off "light", despite the fact that no one here seems to have any idea what the baseline is, you're just sure that he's getting preferential treatment because of money and/or SJW politics.

But by all means continue to bloviate uselessly because I misspelled "sentence", in a context to in which my meaning was pretty dang clear.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 08:09:51 AM »
Smollett's going to get off "light", despite the fact that no one here seems to have any idea what the baseline is, you're just sure that he's getting preferential treatment because of money and/or SJW politics.

While I'm still interested in as you said, "baseline data",  rereading the thread, something Brimic said stood out:

I thought that it was a horrible precedent to not prosecute someone trying to cause social upheaval by committing fake hate crimes,

That is something it will be hard to "baseline", because it's where his "fame" comes in. His celebrity and political and other connections created a situation where there could have been actual riots leading to property destruction, injuries, or even death. There is no doubt that his celebrity and diversity got this 100x the exposure it would have gotten were he some black, gay guy living in suburbia and working at an IT firm or similar.

I guess a sorta analogy might be the Zimmerman/Martin thing: Had Al Sharpton etc. not gotten involved, or had it been white on white or black on black thing, we wouldn't have had BLM, violent protests, and everyone's routes to work being blocked, causing all kinds of expensive upheaval.

Maybe it's the 24/7 news to blame for "celebrity escalation", and it's unfair to hand a harsher sentence to the famous person, but I think there is little doubt that the damaging fallout to innocent society is greater than if some unknown does the same thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
it's the 24/7 news to blame for "celebrity escalation", and it's unfair to hand a harsher sentence to the famous person
This is the unfortunate reality.
I don't think it's wise to try for some kind of famous person modifier assuming you're also opposed to a hate crime modifier.

But by all means continue to bloviate uselessly
[popcorn]
I honestly don't know why you'd expect anything else.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 03:58:05 PM »
dogmush,

Before you got into baseless personal attacks, you were making a good point. It seems like this is an emotional issue for you, but the fact that I countered your argument and mocked your spelling doesn’t make my 4 short replies into several posts of crying or bloviating, as you claim.

I think you’re probably right that people reporting fake crimes don’t usually get the book thrown at them. Still, if one of those cases became as high-profile and expensive as this one, I think it’s not unreasonable to expect that the city would throw several books at them. I suspect, if I staged a hate crime in Chicago, and it somehow became as big a story as the Smollett case, I would be in far more trouble than Smollett is now. That's because I'm not wealthy, famous, black, or a pervert.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:52:33 PM by fistful »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »
Well this looks like a good start  :facepalm:

Smollett trial: in opening, Smollett’s attorney is telling jury that Smollett is a victim. The Osundairo brothers are “sophisticated” criminals that did not like Jussie.

— Matt Finn (@MattFinnFNC) November 30, 2021
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/11/29/attorney-the-osundairo-brothers-are-sophisticated-criminals-that-did-not-like-jussie-smollett/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 10:03:58 PM »
Do any of you remember the racist stuff and swastikas and stuff and white supremacist stuff and stuff that was scrawled on a wall, in feces, at the University of Missouri.

They resigned the president, and a bunch of other folks over it.

And...

NOBODY took a cell phone video or even a photo of the horrible thing before someone washed it off.

I call bull.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 11:02:30 PM »
Well this looks like a good start  :facepalm:
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/11/29/attorney-the-osundairo-brothers-are-sophisticated-criminals-that-did-not-like-jussie-smollett/

Sophisticated criminals or not, they are black. And Smollett reported that he was assaulted by two white men.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 01:20:10 AM »
it seems that the lefties did thousands of fake hate crimes iirc
 its about time some one got prosecuted for it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 05:09:59 AM »
"While I understand that the City of Chicago spent some money and manpower investigating, it's not like it is known for great fiscal management.  His crime's 'victim' is pretty nebulous."

While that may be nebulous, laws against false reporting (whatever the punishment) discourage others from pulling stuff where false reporting actually causes problems for the victim. :"For the discouragement of others" is a valid reason for some laws, with appropriate punishment.

The punishment for perjury comes to mind for this one, and I believe some law or whatever somewhere said, "Thou shalt not bear false witness" or some such archaic principle.  Wish I could remember where I saw that.  I guess the punishment for that one was you got somebody in high authority pretty mad at you.

By the way, is he the guy doing commercials for hair loss treatments?  Commercials can bring in a pretty penny for the actors, you know.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:23:14 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 01:11:48 PM »
A trip down memory lane

MEGATHREAD: All the gullible libs who fell for the Jussie Smollett hoax
https://twitter.com/ebeth360/status/1465713431596572691?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
A trip down memory lane

MEGATHREAD: All the gullible libs who fell for the Jussie Smollett hoax
https://twitter.com/ebeth360/status/1465713431596572691?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I like the ones who are angry about it being described as a "possible hate crime."  =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 07:13:04 PM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2021, 04:59:50 AM »
How come the Rittenhouse trial was televised and the MAXWELL trial is not......

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
Maxwell is a Federal case

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
please delete

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2021, 07:03:34 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2021, 11:08:01 PM »
They should try the missile-toad defense.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2021, 11:09:22 PM »
or...."Hey, that guy isn't wearing a mask!"

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2021, 07:52:38 AM »
^^^
P-38
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2021, 05:56:21 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »

I'm sorry, but that there is funny. (Probably because it seems to be true. Naturally, Juicy is now trying to throw the bruthas under the bus.