Author Topic: Need Linux help  (Read 234 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Need Linux help
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:29:53 AM »
Well ... I don't exactly "need" Linux help, but I would appreciate some guidance.

Last summer a friend who used to work as an independent computer value added vendor cleaned out a bunch of old gear he didn't have any use for. I took some of it to tinker with. One of the items is an AOpen mini computer.

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/etilize/images/300/1010619226.jpg

It's a 32-bit CPU, and didn't have an operating system on it. I've gotten it running with a 32-bit Linux distro that included LibreOffice, so in theory this thing could still perform some light work for someone, but I don't know anything about Linux. I have a couple of old printers, one of which could be bundled with it to make a complete package -- except that I have no idea how to install a printer in Linux. (I have a difficult enough time installing a printer in Windoze.)

How difficult is it? Can anyone provide a dummy's intro to printer installation under Linux?

TIA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Need Linux help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 08:04:53 AM »
32 bit is going to be the sticking point.

For easy, Mint Linux is the way to go.  For 32 bit, Linux Mint Debian Edition.

Got specs on that box?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 08:08:03 AM »
Well ... I don't exactly "need" Linux help, but I would appreciate some guidance.

Last summer a friend who used to work as an independent computer value added vendor cleaned out a bunch of old gear he didn't have any use for. I took some of it to tinker with. One of the items is an AOpen mini computer.

https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/etilize/images/300/1010619226.jpg

It's a 32-bit CPU, and didn't have an operating system on it. I've gotten it running with a 32-bit Linux distro that included LibreOffice, so in theory this thing could still perform some light work for someone, but I don't know anything about Linux. I have a couple of old printers, one of which could be bundled with it to make a complete package -- except that I have no idea how to install a printer in Linux. (I have a difficult enough time installing a printer in Windoze.)

How difficult is it? Can anyone provide a dummy's intro to printer installation under Linux?

TIA

Go to Printers (usually under Admin or similar) and click add to see if the correct drivers are there to install. If not check the printer manufacturer's website, if they have Linux drivers they should also have instructions on installing them. I know brother does for many of their printers. I've installed my 2280DW in Linux. Note though it's often not as simple as just downloading the driver and clicking install, you'll often have to do some command line stuff. If neither of the above have the proper driver a compatible driver (usually a similar model) may work thought you may lose features.
If none of the above you're kind of up the creek with Linux with a lot of hardware.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:33:57 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 02:09:32 AM »
32 bit is going to be the sticking point.

For easy, Mint Linux is the way to go.  For 32 bit, Linux Mint Debian Edition.

Got specs on that box?

AOpen MP945-D

Manufactured in 2006 or 2007. Pentium-M CPU. Originally had Windows XP. Because of the Pentium-M CPU, it can't run Windows 10 or Windows 11.

Don't remember offhand whether it has 1GB or 2 GB of RAM.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design